Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kslingo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-9-leaked-details-allegedly-point-to-redesign-for-siri/

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
i already know where thats going..

"ios 9 sucks its buggy its slow ios 8 was perfect apple spent all their time colorizing siri, she doesnt work now either! sirigate!"

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
i already know where thats going..

"ios 9 sucks its buggy its slow ios 8 was perfect apple spent all their time colorizing siri, she doesnt work now either! sirigate!"

And it deserves to go there if they release another buggy laggy update.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
And it deserves to go there if they release another buggy laggy update.

laggy buggy update? where? people been screaming it since ios infinite, thats why theres hundreds or thousands with a "problem", & millions without right?

those who leave background app refresh on for 50 million apps on any device especially a dated one, deserve their "laggy buggy update"..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
laggy buggy update? where? people been screaming it since ios infinite, thats why theres hundreds or thousands with a "problem", & millions without right?

those who leave background app refresh on for 50 million apps on any device especially a dated one, deserve their "laggy buggy update"..
Because there clearly weren't any performance and stability issues with iOS 7 and 8, right?

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Because there clearly weren't any performance and stability issues with iOS 7 and 8, right?

I have an ipad 1 with iOS 5 on it. It's the slowest device I've ever used. I've used a 4s with iOS 8 on it and it was a lot nicer to use. Same with an ipad 2 with iOS 8.

There are issues yeah, but none that are new to the industry. When you try to put new software on aging hardware things are going to slow down, that's just the way it goes.

FWIW I still use my ipad 1 too.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008

Exactly. People deserve to have a ****** experience when they are using a feature that is built into the OS...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an ipad 1 with iOS 5 on it. It's the slowest device I've ever used. I've used a 4s with iOS 8 on it and it was a lot nicer to use. Same with an ipad 2 with iOS 8.

There are issues yeah, but none that are new to the industry. When you try to put new software on aging hardware things are going to slow down, that's just the way it goes.

iPad 2 and iPhone 4 or 4s or even 5 were more stable and faster in iOS 6.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Exactly. People deserve to have a ****** experience when they are using a feature that is built into the OS...

do u run every single program u have installed on ur computer at the same time in the background? probably not, why? cause u know what itll do, yet on a ~*~ apple idevice ~*~ everyones free to do such things then scream its apples fault, right. or be using a budget $30 low end router to cover a giant mansion of a house &/or a network thats got tons of devices, dozens sometimes, apple's fault for "buggy wifi"? the wifi bugs of from initial ios 8 were fixed long ago, before im quoted on that, theres still those complaining of wifi issues on ios 7, 6, 5..all of them?

sigh? every single damn ios update is "buggy crap update", then they praise it the next year, look at ios 7. hated and all now its praised upon, ios 6 was hated for being "another ios 5 but buggier & slower", it was praised upon when ios 7 was current..this is an infinite self sustaining loop that will never stop. why? society, most are sheep, this isnt isnt counting pure trolls. no one wants to "stick out" & state how sad any given situation is, or that they along with their entire family & 51 generations, all have no problems at all. its just that 20% of users that are screaming too.

this is like the, "safari is snappier" thing, & "hows the battery life" 4 minutes after a new ios update

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
do u run every single program u have installed on ur computer at the same time in the background? probably not, why? cause u know what itll do, yet on a ~*~ apple idevice ~*~ everyones free to do such things then scream its apples fault, right. or be using a budget $30 low end router to cover a giant mansion of a house &/or a network thats got tons of devices, dozens sometimes, apple's fault for "buggy wifi"? the wifi bugs of from initial ios 8 were fixed long ago, before im quoted on that, theres still those complaining of wifi issues on ios 7, 6, 5..all of them?

sigh? every single damn ios update is "buggy crap update", then they praise it the next year, look at ios 7. hated and all now its praised upon, ios 6 was hated for being "another ios 5 but buggier & slower", it was praised upon when ios 7 was current..this is an infinite self sustaining loop that will never stop. why? society, most are sheep, this isnt isnt counting pure trolls. no one wants to "stick out" & state how sad any given situation is, or that they along with their entire family & 51 generations, all have no problems at all. its just that 20% of users that are screaming too.

this is like the, "safari is snappier" thing, & "hows the battery life" 4 minutes after a new ios update

Or, you know, the final versions of the previous iOS updates were in fact much more stable and better as far as performance goes then the a number of initial versions of a new update.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

There have been, absolutely, but its also a complaint that's existed since basically the first iOS upgrade.

When we're on 8.4.x and iOS 9 launches, no doubt people will complain about issues that arise, which is understandable. Like you also said earlier, the final version of the previous is going to be a lot more stable than the first version of the next iteration.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

If by the rest of the industry, you mean Apple computers, well yes. But if you want to include giants like Google and Microsoft, you'll see that they're both working to make their OSs work faster on lower end hardware. Look at what Google did for 4.1, and Microsoft did for 8/10, to see how they've improved upon their predecessors.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There have been, absolutely, but its also a complaint that's existed since basically the first iOS upgrade.

When we're on 8.4.x and iOS 9 launches, no doubt people will complain about issues that arise, which is understandable. Like you also said earlier, the final version of the previous is going to be a lot more stable than the first version of the next iteration.
And there's still a point to it all that in many cases Apple rushes out an update. It's not always to the same degree, but has been much more like that since iOS 7.

That said, it's not really what this thread was supposed to be about anyway until someone needlessly derailed it rather early on.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I have NEVER seen a device struggle with its first update like I have seen my iPad Mini 2 struggle with iOS 8. The same problems are still persisting months later.

I've also never seen an iOS device jitter with its original version of iOS, but I've seen plenty of it on the iPhone 6.

Sure there have been issues with every single version of iOS, but iOS 8 has truly taken the cake.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I have NEVER seen a device struggle with its first update like I have seen my iPad Mini 2 struggle with iOS 8. The same problems are still persisting months later.

I've also never seen an iOS device jitter with its original version of iOS, but I've seen plenty of it on the iPhone 6.

Sure there have been issues with every single version of iOS, but iOS 8 has truly taken the cake.

iPhone 3G with iOS 4.

Probably the MOST painful update for any device, ever.

Plus, people said iOS 7 took the cake, people said it about iOS 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2.

There definitely has been a little more of a slip in QA recently, but I'd honestly say iOS 7 was worse than iOS 8's launch issues, partly because it was so different.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iPhone 3G with iOS 4.

Probably the MOST painful update for any device, ever.

Plus, people said iOS 7 took the cake, people said it about iOS 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2.

There definitely has been a little more of a slip in QA recently, but I'd honestly say iOS 7 was worse than iOS 8's launch issues, partly because it was so different.

The iPhone 3G is an exception and plus it wasn't the first update :p (iPhone OS 3 was).

I'd say that iOS 8 was defiantly worse. I had iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 and iPad 2, from day one and it was better than iOS 8 is on my iPhone 5, iPad 2 and iPad Mini 2. Even to this day 8.3 is a mess. 7.1 was pretty rock solid!

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
The iPhone 3G is an exception and plus it wasn't the first update :p (iPhone OS 3 was).

I'd say that iOS 8 was defiantly worse. I had iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 and iPad 2, from day one and it was better than iOS 8 is on my iPhone 5, iPad 2 and iPad Mini 2. Even to this day 8.3 is a mess. 7.1 was pretty rock solid!

On the contrary, iOS 7 was the worst upgrade for me. Just about every single glitch or bug people talk about with iOS 8 I haven't experienced, except for a few minor ones.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
iPad 2 and iPhone 4 or 4s or even 5 were more stable and faster in iOS 6.

I didn't realize that - I always though the "stock" iOS for an iPhone was better than most updates, specifically in the case of the iPhone 4S

The iPhone 4 however ran better on iOS 6? That's cool. What about the 3GS - I remember having a 3GS with iOS 6 and feeling that, although it was smooth, it wasn't quite as lagless and smooth as iOS 5 (and don't the 3GS and 4 have similar specs? Like the same GPU and similar CPU or something)

Anyways, cool info. Cheers

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
You people are complaining about iOS 4 on iPhone 3G and how iOS 6 was slower on iPhone 3GS than iOS 5 was. You're missing the point. It's completely understandable that those updates were bad performance wise, they have new features which add to more processes under the hood, always putting more stress on the system. Every device slows down at some point due to software updates.

The point with iOS 8 is that it's stuttery and laggy on *NEW* devices. The brand new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus BOTH have stuttering and performance issues. My iPad mini 2 run by that glorified A7 chip with "desktop-class 64-bit architecture" stutters in TONS of areas with iOS 8. It performs like it's 3 years old but it's only on its first update. A5 devices (iPhone AND iPad alike) ran iOS 6 like a dream, I never saw issues there, ever. But an A7 chip on iOS 8? Pretty good on iPhone 5S (still has same issues as iPhone 6/6Plus) but it's a disaster on iPad. Even iOS 7.1.2 had issues still on my mini 2. It's software sloppiness, people. iOS 7 and iOS 8 were and are very sloppy, rushed releases, and that's a fact.

Anyway, now onto the ACTUAL TOPIC of this thread, I am not a fan of those colors, really. I find the current design nice and streamlined, the translucency adds enough color to Siri to begin with. Don't need to overdue things here.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
LOL... "desktop-class 64-bit architecture"...
You're preaching to the choir. My desktop-class 64bit architectured computer doesn't immediately dump the current program out of RAM to load the next program.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Or, you know, the final versions of the previous iOS updates were in fact much more stable and better as far as performance goes then the a number of initial versions of a new update.

true, but it doesnt stop the unnecessary bickering how iosX "sucks etc"

LOL... "desktop-class 64-bit architecture"...
You're preaching to the choir. My desktop-class 64bit architectured computer doesn't immediately dump the current program out of RAM to load the next program.

thats a computer that isnt portable, even a laptop compared to a phone is still no comparison. and "desktop-class 64-bit architecture" has nothing to do with how much ram the device has, 64bit is 64bit, apple is saying the performance it can give is on par with a desktop. give a x64 desktop 1gb of ram then 8gb ram, its a different architecture? no. look at android, theyre worse with memory management, having double the ram & either on par with apple & memory usage or still worse, with that much more ram, cause of their great architecture & linux..

becneel

macrumors member
May 9, 2015
Siri has to be revamped to counter the rise of Cortana.

Maybe she can be more useful and intuitive in iOS 9 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.