Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Does the beats acquisition mean that the stock music app in iOS will get some much needed updates and improvements?

I know hating on Forstall-era iOS is a popular view here on mac rumors but the iOS 6 music app was perfect and Jony Ive butchered it in iOS 7/8.

Here's hoping that Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine helped to clean up the mess he made with a previously flawless music player.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Does the beats acquisition mean that the stock music app in iOS will get some much needed updates and improvements?

I know hating on Forstall-era iOS is a popular view here on mac rumors but the iOS 6 music app was perfect and Jony Ive butchered it in iOS 7/8.

Here's hoping that Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine helped to clean up the mess he made with a previously flawless music player.

Ha, using the Music app right now while typing this message on my iPad 3 running iOS 5. I agree the Music app had a level of polish and simplicity to it. That's the beauty of not falling victim to the upgrade fever. :)

iOS909

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2014
I'm really Hoping it gets an overhaul. I've got a fair few artists in my library with 10+ albums and it really is a pain trying to scroll through those massive lists when you want to hear a particular album through the artists tab.

They don't even have to do anything significant, just add collapsed album folders back and I'll be happy.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
There are words about iOS 8.4 which will introduce an Apple music streaming service such as Spotify. Since it will be probably integrated into the music app, I think we'll see some changes even before iOS 9 (presentation at WWDC and release in/around July).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Oh good lord it's time for an improvement there. iOS 7 has completely destroyed the Music app, and iOS 8 has completely ignored it. I mean, do anything to it, it can't make it any worse than Eddy Cue made it.

Bring back the Artists > Albums > Songs view. Make the album arts smaller. Make the lyrics take more screen estate. Add the lyrics in the iTunes Store and give us the ability to sync them automagically. Add the ability to make smart playlists so I can finally be truly untied with iTunes. Give us a dark mode.

Oh, and fix that cover art synchronisation bug already, I'm tired of seeing iBooks and Podcasts covers on top of my songs, and tired of seeing 80% of my library having a blank picture when I know I have one.

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
I agree as far as how I use my phone this is my biggest gripe. I can't speak for others but the layout and usage of the current app isn't good at all. I can also hope that I get a single all in one app for all things music vs 3-4 at the rate we are going.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Can't agree more. In fact iOS 6 had a perfect Music app, for what it was. Every feature that was present was perfectly crafted. Then they changed the app for the sake of bringing change to it, and we had to swallow the pill for two years at least, and it's still ongoing.

There's a few third-partys apps that are better in some ways (and worse in some others of course), but since you can't define a default Music app, this solution doesn't cut it. And some other music app solutions are based on paid subscriptions, or like Google's, require you to create an account and login. (Well who am I kidding? Did I really have hope in a Google app that doesn't want to steal my data?)

I know Apple can do better. It's only a matter of putting the right person in charge of it, listening to user feed-back, and making the app more flexible in terms of settings and customization. :apple:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what drives me ******* crazy is that the music app does not remember your position on iOS8. always jumps back to freaking letter A

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013

I think the one thing everyone agrees about the iOS 6 music player was the fact that it was vastly superior to what we have right now.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Honestly, it felt to me like iOS 6 was the culmination of 6 years of engineering by a proud and strong company that employs the world's best software engineers.

iOS 7 was such a huge step back in every single way. The OS just no longer feels solidly built. The design has so many inconsistencies that I find it hard to believe a world class designer like Ive designed it. It simply feels fragile. I don't remember ever having to DFU restore my iPhone to get rid of some weird bug every few months with iOS6. I don't remember worrying about "oh I did a restore instead of set as new so something will surely break."

Honestly? I miss Forstall and I think Apple really changed for the worse software-wise the day he left. These 'engineers' responsible for iOS 8 and Yosemite? Amateur hour garbage workers. I can't believe something so broken could ship from the world's richest non-oil company.

I guess it boils down to this: with iOS 6 on my old iPhone 5, I had this sense of trust in my phone. I trusted it to do the task it was assigned and it always delivered without mistake. With iOS 7 and 8, that trust is mostly gone and I'm always "eh" about whether it'll complete my task properly or not, and whatever kind of battery life it feels like having that day. The trust a person has in their phone is simply the most important element of all. I don't care about fancy blur and animations and Air this or Handoff that. Give me back a consistent, trustworthy experience.

With that out of the way, my feelings on iOS 9 are:
On one side, I remain somewhat optimistic that iOS 9 will finally be what I'm looking for. On the other side, I was similarly optimistic with iOS 7, 8, and OSX Yosemite, and they've all turned out to be nothing more than amateur hour programming and design experimentation.

Micool1

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
I use the Ecoute music player because I got sick of the native music app and I wanted an Up Next feature. The only thing I don't like is that it still keeps going back to A...

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
A usable landscape view would be nice. The wall of tiny album covers is one of the most ill conceived user experience I have ever seen.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
what drives me ******* crazy is that the music app does not remember your position on iOS8. always jumps back to freaking letter A

That's what I hate the most. Definitely.

Even my iPod keeps its position. In multiple places even! Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs, it will stay where it was when you go back in to the menu. This thing is nearly a decade old.

BqGTe8Ll.jpg

I almost never use the iOS music app. Not just because I dislike the design, but because I still favor my iPod over my iPhone for music. Personal preference. I do still have an iPod touch running iOS 4 and the music app on it is great!

A usable landscape view would be nice. The wall of tiny album covers is one of the most ill conceived user experience I have ever seen.

This! it's terrible.

coverflow.jpg

Remember when they actually touted Cover Flow as a feature, it was pretty neat and made sense. Then they went and messed it all up. My iPhone gets stuck in that stupid landscape mode all the time too forcing me to close and reopen the music app to get it back to normal.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The scrubbing button is also broken in the iOS 7/8 version of the music app. Just slightly moving it can jump you from the beginning to the end of a song. It's so inaccurate. It's the same way in the Videos app too.

Agree about a landscape mode like the iPad being needed too. Especially on the iPhone 6 Plus.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
The scrubbing button is also broken in the iOS 7/8 version of the music app. Just slightly moving it can jump you from the beginning to the end of a song. It's so inaccurate.

That's my biggest complaint. Sometimes it works, sometimes it jumps to random locations. Sometimes it jumps to the end. Sometimes it jumps to the beginning. It's truly awful!

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Landscape mode is absolutely worthless, especially on the 6 Plus, because you would think a full feature music player should work in landscape.

I'd also love a "dark theme" or "night theme". I really hate all that white. (That's something I hope they DO incorporate Beats Music into, because it has more black/red, opposed the white/pink etc.)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
If Landscape Mode was actually organized by Artist, then I'd probably use it quite a bit, but I have so much music that I can't remember what the albums even are looking at their album covers!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Landscape mode is absolutely worthless, especially on the 6 Plus, because you would think a full feature music player should work in landscape.

I'd also love a "dark theme" or "night theme". I really hate all that white. (That's something I hope they DO incorporate Beats Music into, because it has more black/red, opposed the white/pink etc.)

I think Apple pushes the white theme in part to make iOS look more distinct from Android and Windows Phone. Though they may have to go dark if and when they start using OLED in their iOS devices. (it's more energy efficient)

El Tuga

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Lisbon
Honestly, it felt to me like iOS 6 was the culmination of 6 years of engineering by a proud and strong company that employs the world's best software engineers.

iOS 7 was such a huge step back in every single way. The OS just no longer feels solidly built. The design has so many inconsistencies that I find it hard to believe a world class designer like Ive designed it. It simply feels fragile. I don't remember ever having to DFU restore my iPhone to get rid of some weird bug every few months with iOS6. I don't remember worrying about "oh I did a restore instead of set as new so something will surely break."

Honestly? I miss Forstall and I think Apple really changed for the worse software-wise the day he left. These 'engineers' responsible for iOS 8 and Yosemite? Amateur hour garbage workers. I can't believe something so broken could ship from the world's richest non-oil company.

I guess it boils down to this: with iOS 6 on my old iPhone 5, I had this sense of trust in my phone. I trusted it to do the task it was assigned and it always delivered without mistake. With iOS 7 and 8, that trust is mostly gone and I'm always "eh" about whether it'll complete my task properly or not, and whatever kind of battery life it feels like having that day. The trust a person has in their phone is simply the most important element of all. I don't care about fancy blur and animations and Air this or Handoff that. Give me back a consistent, trustworthy experience.

With that out of the way, my feelings on iOS 9 are:
On one side, I remain somewhat optimistic that iOS 9 will finally be what I'm looking for. On the other side, I was similarly optimistic with iOS 7, 8, and OSX Yosemite, and they've all turned out to be nothing more than amateur hour programming and design experimentation.

Unfotunatelly they made a mess not only of the music app but of the whole os with iOS 7. Unnecessarily. God, I miss forstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.