Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think Apple pushes the white theme in part to make iOS look more distinct from Android and Windows Phone. Though they may have to go dark if and when they start using OLED in their iOS devices. (it's more energy efficient)

That's actually one of the best justifications I've read for the white theme.

I would still like a "Spce Gray" theme or something.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
From flawless to Jony Ives Disaster

Honestly, it felt to me like iOS 6 was the culmination of 6 years of engineering by a proud and strong company that employs the world's best software engineers.

iOS 7 was such a huge step back in every single way. The OS just no longer feels solidly built. The design has so many inconsistencies that I find it hard to believe a world class designer like Ive designed it. It simply feels fragile. I don't remember ever having to DFU restore my iPhone to get rid of some weird bug every few months with iOS6. I don't remember worrying about "oh I did a restore instead of set as new so something will surely break."

Honestly? I miss Forstall and I think Apple really changed for the worse software-wise the day he left. These 'engineers' responsible for iOS 8 and Yosemite? Amateur hour garbage workers. I can't believe something so broken could ship from the world's richest non-oil company.

I guess it boils down to this: with iOS 6 on my old iPhone 5, I had this sense of trust in my phone. I trusted it to do the task it was assigned and it always delivered without mistake. With iOS 7 and 8, that trust is mostly gone and I'm always "eh" about whether it'll complete my task properly or not, and whatever kind of battery life it feels like having that day. The trust a person has in their phone is simply the most important element of all. I don't care about fancy blur and animations and Air this or Handoff that. Give me back a consistent, trustworthy experience.

With that out of the way, my feelings on iOS 9 are:
On one side, I remain somewhat optimistic that iOS 9 will finally be what I'm looking for. On the other side, I was similarly optimistic with iOS 7, 8, and OSX Yosemite, and they've all turned out to be nothing more than amateur hour programming and design experimentation.

i Was optimistic to iOS 7 and, I hated it. iOS 6 music app was the best. The software overall was flawless and, was carefully planned. Even on iOS 7 and 8, I cannot stand the music apps. They glitch out and, look ugly. (in addition to the iOS 7/8 Material design) Changing for the sake of changing is unacceptable. :eek: .

At least I did not update my 4S and, use my iPod 4 on a daily basis because, I do not want to put up with this Jony Ives Disaster:):cool:

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
i Was optimistic to iOS 7 and, I hated it. iOS 6 music app was the best. The software overall was flawless and, was carefully planned. Even on iOS 7 and 8, I cannot stand the music apps. They glitch out and, look ugly. (in addition to the iOS 7/8 Material design) Changing for the sake of changing is unacceptable. :eek: .

At least I did not update my 4S and, use my iPod 4 on a daily basis because, I do not want to put up with this Jony Ives Disaster:):cool:

Some disaster. Apple has sold more iOS devices to date last quarter than ever. People sure hate this garbage Apple pushes out. Oh what a disaster whatever will we do????

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Some disaster. Apple has sold more iOS devices to date last quarter than ever. People sure hate this garbage Apple pushes out. Oh what a disaster whatever will we do????

Sales are exploding in the smart phone market. Kids at a younger age are getting there cell phones and eventually updating to smart phones. Samsung´s sales have also gone up too! Do you know why Apple´s sales are up? It's because also of the quality of there phones. They are lightweight and, the software on them is unreliable.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Sales are exploding in the smart phone market. Kids at a younger age are getting there cell phones and eventually updating to smart phones. Samsung´s sales have also gone up too! Do you know why Apple´s sales are up? It's because also of the quality of there phones. They are lightweight and, the software on them is unreliable.

Ok, clarify your point for everyone because it makes no sense at the end....Apples sales are up because their phones are lightweight (positive) and their software is unreliable (highly-subjective negative). The statement in your context is gibberish.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Older iOS's are more durable

Ok, clarify your point for everyone because it makes no sense at the end....Apples sales are up because their phones are lightweight (positive) and their software is unreliable (highly-subjective negative). The statement in your context is gibberish.

First, the cell phone is spreading. The smart phone is evolving to become more common. Teenagers are getting smart phones earlier too than they used to. At the same time, the quality of all products has gone down (evidence with Apple). At one time, the IPhone 3GS was like a brick. They were durable and would not bend ("#bendgate"?). Same with the iPod Classic. The Classic was like a brick. It would never bend and, could last for a week on a single charge. :)

Now, due to things being advanced, companies are making there products easier to break and,less durable. A drop that a iPhone 3GS would survive with Minor damage, where a iPhone 6+ would bend and break to millions of peaces.
:apple:

Same with software too. iOS 6's music app was durable. It would not crash or, when you close, forget your place. :p On the other hand, iOS 7's music player does not remember where you are when you pause and, the UI is a mess!:mad:

Have you ever heard of someone's iOS 4 iPod get bricked without jailbreaking?
No, iOS 4-6 were 99% of the time durable

On the other hand, iOS 7 glitches out more, consumes more battery, and finally, it has a higher chance of crashing and even bricking your iOS device. There is even a report saying that iOS 8 crashes over 400% than iOS 7!

Thus, overall, newer devices break earlier than they used to. This is in addition to the new sales, people's phones are breaking and getting bricked earlier.

Quotes from other forums:

Hence, a buggy os actually benefits Apple.

In the same way a bad car benefits the automakers, right? Or a bad product benefits the economy because the product is bought twice.

Meaning Apple gets richer by crippling its own hardware with software which forces people to buy new hardware.

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Never mind. I have switched to Spotify, whose user experience blows iTunes music away.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

In part people buy iPhones for the perceived reliability and brand image. Plenty of people don't look at the alternatives. iOS 8 is a shocker even on A8 and A7 devices. 7 months in iOS 8.2 is still horrible. My iPad Mini 2 is a glitch/jerk/crash fest on iOS 8. iOS 7 was far more stable even from the beginning, and thats saying something since my iOS 7 was on the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 (Compared to iOS 8 on my iPad 2, iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 5).

People will get sick of the lack of stability and the crash prone nature of iOS 8 if Apple doesn't fix it in iOS 9.

Back to the original question, Apple has been as lazy as hell with the Music App. Unless you count iTunes radio, it hasn't had any new proper usability updates for years. Why can't I airplay two multiple speakers? Where is up next? Where are smart playlists?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Even my iPod keeps its position. In multiple places even! Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs, it will stay where it was when you go back in to the menu. This thing is nearly a decade old.

I almost never use the iOS music app. Not just because I dislike the design, but because I still favor my iPod over my iPhone for music. Personal preference. I do still have an iPod touch running iOS 4 and the music app on it is great!

Remember when they actually touted Cover Flow as a feature, it was pretty neat and made sense. Then they went and messed it all up. My iPhone gets stuck in that stupid landscape mode all the time too forcing me to close and reopen the music app to get it back to normal.

Wow I remember cover flow on my iPod Touch 3rd Generation on iOS 3.x or something. When I recieved it as my first Apple Device, Cover Flow astounded me!

Today, I never use cover flow. My iPod Touch and iPhone always stay in orientation lock mode to save battery and the frustration of listening to your iPod/iPhone at different angles and switching all the time:D!However, on 7/8.x I noticed it got even worse!

Hopefully in iOS 9, you could get the old cover flow feature and, the bugs worked out of the Music app (Have lately been using iTunes too due to discovering my PC has different music settings like underwater mode,Rock mode etc:cool:)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Even my iPod keeps its position. In multiple places even! Playlists, Artists, Albums, Songs, it will stay where it was when you go back in to the menu. This thing is nearly a decade old.

I almost never use the iOS music app. Not just because I dislike the design, but because I still favor my iPod over my iPhone for music. Personal preference. I do still have an iPod touch running iOS 4 and the music app on it is great!

Remember when they actually touted Cover Flow as a feature, it was pretty neat and made sense. Then they went and messed it all up. My iPhone gets stuck in that stupid landscape mode all the time too forcing me to close and reopen the music app to get it back to normal.

Cover flow was awesome. Now it is just a big... Cluster**** of 3 rows of artists streaming across the screen, completely flat. It's overwhelming to look at. It's like a scavenger hunt now. They could reimplement it and it wouldn't completely betray their "flat" look. Remove the reflections, put in new fonts, and make the background a blurred version of the wallpaper, or maybe make it so when you stop on an album, make the background fade to an enlarged, blurred version of the album art. BUT THEY SHOULD IMPLEMENT THIS SO IT CONTINUES TO RUN AT 60 FPS.
Honestly, it felt to me like iOS 6 was the culmination of 6 years of engineering by a proud and strong company that employs the world's best software engineers.

iOS 7 was such a huge step back in every single way. The OS just no longer feels solidly built. The design has so many inconsistencies that I find it hard to believe a world class designer like Ive designed it. It simply feels fragile. I don't remember ever having to DFU restore my iPhone to get rid of some weird bug every few months with iOS6. I don't remember worrying about "oh I did a restore instead of set as new so something will surely break."

Honestly? I miss Forstall and I think Apple really changed for the worse software-wise the day he left. These 'engineers' responsible for iOS 8 and Yosemite? Amateur hour garbage workers. I can't believe something so broken could ship from the world's richest non-oil company.

I guess it boils down to this: with iOS 6 on my old iPhone 5, I had this sense of trust in my phone. I trusted it to do the task it was assigned and it always delivered without mistake. With iOS 7 and 8, that trust is mostly gone and I'm always "eh" about whether it'll complete my task properly or not, and whatever kind of battery life it feels like having that day. The trust a person has in their phone is simply the most important element of all. I don't care about fancy blur and animations and Air this or Handoff that. Give me back a consistent, trustworthy experience.

With that out of the way, my feelings on iOS 9 are:
On one side, I remain somewhat optimistic that iOS 9 will finally be what I'm looking for. On the other side, I was similarly optimistic with iOS 7, 8, and OSX Yosemite, and they've all turned out to be nothing more than amateur hour programming and design experimentation.

You hit the nail on the head. I also hate when people who aren't overly critical (nothing wrong with it at all) or aren't great at perceiving frame drops, call us crazy. iOS 7 and 8 are a laggy mess. On iPad it's three times worse. I trust my iPhone 6, but not nearly as much as I used to even trust my iPod 5 (already out of date hardware) on iOS 6. It was *so* fast, and stuff didn't so readily get flushed out of memory. My iPod literally turned off so fast that the loading wheel didn't even go around half-way before it was done. iPhones were different because of the extra cellular radios to turn off, but still. Now when booting down iOS 8 on any device, you see a very long black screen, then a loading wheel that sits for a long, long time. Then when you boot up the device, it's very sluggish right after it is booted up. On iOS 6 everything was ready, 100% smooth, 100% speed.

Multitasking feels like a huge race. Don't leave an app for more than 60 seconds or you surely will lose everything! Don't do too much with translucency or scrolling, or frame drops will occur! Don't use the phone on brightness above 40% or have any features enabled or the phone won't make it through the day! I'm sick of that. iOS needs some serious help. If Apple doesn't acknowledge these problems and cut the crap, I don't know what will happen. Apple may just end up throwing specs at these issues rather than fix them, like many phone companies using Android on their smartphones.

I really really hope iOS 9 isn't a disappointment performance wise, much like iOS 7 and 8 were. I was excited for the new design of iOS 7! But it was buggy, and stuttery. I was excited for the new stuff of iOS 8! And since there wasn't *too* much that was new, maybe it would bring some speed, stability, and UI performance improvements! Nope, was a big fat middle finger in those areas. I don't even have much more I want in iOS... Sure, customizable control center and dark theme would be cool... But that's it, really. Just fix the damn bugs, fix the damn UI stuttering, fix the damn memory/cache management, and fix some of the stupid design decisions that cause so much lag; like the overdoing of translucency.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Cover flow was awesome. Now it is just a big... Cluster**** of 3 rows of artists streaming across the screen, completely flat. It's overwhelming to look at. It's like a scavenger hunt now. They could reimplement it and it wouldn't completely betray their "flat" look. Remove the reflections, put in new fonts, and make the background a blurred version of the wallpaper, or maybe make it so when you stop on an album, make the background fade to an enlarged, blurred version of the album art. BUT THEY SHOULD IMPLEMENT THIS SO IT CONTINUES TO RUN AT 60 FPS.

You hit the nail on the head. I also hate when people who aren't overly critical (nothing wrong with it at all) or aren't great at perceiving frame drops, call us crazy. iOS 7 and 8 are a laggy mess. On iPad it's three times worse. I trust my iPhone 6, but not nearly as much as I used to even trust my iPod 5 (already out of date hardware) on iOS 6. It was *so* fast, and stuff didn't so readily get flushed out of memory. My iPod literally turned off so fast that the loading wheel didn't even go around half-way before it was done. iPhones were different because of the extra cellular radios to turn off, but still. Now when booting down iOS 8 on any device, you see a very long black screen, then a loading wheel that sits for a long, long time. Then when you boot up the device, it's very sluggish right after it is booted up. On iOS 6 everything was ready, 100% smooth, 100% speed.

Multitasking feels like a huge race. Don't leave an app for more than 60 seconds or you surely will lose everything! Don't do too much with translucency or scrolling, or frame drops will occur! Don't use the phone on brightness above 40% or have any features enabled or the phone won't make it through the day! I'm sick of that. iOS needs some serious help. If Apple doesn't acknowledge these problems and cut the crap, I don't know what will happen. Apple may just end up throwing specs at these issues rather than fix them, like many phone companies using Android on their smartphones.

I really really hope iOS 9 isn't a disappointment performance wise, much like iOS 7 and 8 were. I was excited for the new design of iOS 7! But it was buggy, and stuttery. I was excited for the new stuff of iOS 8! And since there wasn't *too* much that was new, maybe it would bring some speed, stability, and UI performance improvements! Nope, was a big fat middle finger in those areas. I don't even have much more I want in iOS... Sure, customizable control center and dark theme would be cool... But that's it, really. Just fix the damn bugs, fix the damn UI stuttering, fix the damn memory/cache management, and fix some of the stupid design decisions that cause so much lag; like the overdoing of translucency.

True. Innovation is supposed to be baised on speed. Not creating a innovation of glitches :p! On my old iPad 2, it was unreliable till 7.1 (Mid 2014!) Till then, it crashed at least 10 times over a period of 8 hours (5 day a week work)! :mad:! I was also jinxed by the new UI.

Just like you, I want stability for a 4S! I will not update mine till I know iOS 9 will not ruin my device (might save SHSH blobs just to be on the safe side;):cool:) If it is faster than iOS 6, I would be extremely happy!:)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
True. Innovation is supposed to be baised on speed. Not creating a innovation of glitches :p! On my old iPad 2, it was unreliable till 7.1 (Mid 2014!) Till then, it crashed at least 10 times over a period of 8 hours (5 day a week work)! :mad:! I was also jinxed by the new UI.

Just like you, I want stability for a 4S! I will not update mine till I know iOS 9 will not ruin my device (might save SHSH blobs just to be on the safe side;):cool:) If it is faster than iOS 6, I would be extremely happy!:)

Saving SHSH blobs won't do anything because if you use them to install the older OS after they've stopped signing it, it won't even do anything. You have a short period of time where you can download the old OS and reinstall it after major releases. Don't get too hesitant to downgrade because you don't always have that long before they stop signing.

But yeah I remember up until 7.1 my iPad mini with Retina crashed to the apple logo like 3 times a week at least. Was quite annoying. Plus occasionally when doing pinch to close gesture, the app icons would get stuck half way through the laggy and choppy animation. Once they were stuck, you could do anything, flip pages, Siri, spotlight, lock device, but you couldn't open apps. Also, slide to power off wouldn't work and you had to hard reset the device.

gkfoster

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
iOS 9 music app

I see that so many people have the same complains here as I have. iOS 6 music sorting was great, just so logical. iOS 7/8 music apps is great if you only have no more than 5 albums of any artist. That is not the case for most of us (wouldn't Apple want us to have lots of music from there iTunes store).

Also, from the old iPod, the on-the-go (or just call it Queued Music), being able to add an album to play after the current album finishes (also, who wants to listen to all the songs from an artist! Have it stop after the current albums finishes, or move on to the next Queued album).

Apple people, do you want us to look for a third party music app since yours sucks.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Using the Music.app now days really makes me miss iOS 6. Sure it was ugly, but it had it right. Now it's just a pain in the ass to use.

I really miss my 160GB iPod Classic. I should have never sold it.

----------

I use the Ecoute music player because I got sick of the native music app and I wanted an Up Next feature. The only thing I don't like is that it still keeps going back to A...

It's like this in iTunes too.

I can be in the Music tab, Artist view, around letters L. I switch to Playlist tab. Then switch back to Music tab and I'm back at the very beginning, forcing me to scroll back down to L. :mad:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
That 2GB of RAM for the 6S Plus is a must. I'm convince the 6 Plus doesn't have enough that why I have constant reloading issues. The RAM upgrade is the only reason I'll be getting the 6S+.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Using the Music.app now days really makes me miss iOS 6. Sure it was ugly, but it had it right. Now it's just a pain in the ass to use.

I really miss my 160GB iPod Classic. I should have never sold it.

----------

It's like this in iTunes too.

I can be in the Music tab, Artist view, around letters L. I switch to Playlist tab. Then switch back to Music tab and I'm back at the very beginning, forcing me to scroll back down to L. :mad:

When I first got iOS 6, I thought it was ugly and missed my iOS 4:confused::(. However, eventually after heavy usage I started to like it and, it looked so sick:cool:. Kinda sad but, you don't appreciate things till they are gone.

----------

That 2GB of RAM for the 6S Plus is a must. I'm convince the 6 Plus doesn't have enough that why I have constant reloading issues. The RAM upgrade is the only reason I'll be getting the 6S+.

2 gigs of ram? Wow that is so little in today's market. For my needs, with my computer I need at least 8gb. Then again, a computer requires more ram than a phone or a iPod or iPad.

I believe the 6S should have at least 5gigs. Applications are getting quicker and more advanced. A 5gig processor would power your phone and, lend it to the max. One thing I still wonder is why Apple does not sell the same phone with different amounts of ram?

If they did, i could get a 16gb ram iPad instead if a Windows 7 16gig ran computer for school:eek:!

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
When I first got iOS 6, I thought it was ugly and missed my iOS 4:confused::(. However, eventually after heavy usage I started to like it and, it looked so sick:cool:. Kinda sad but, you don't appreciate things till they are gone.

----------

2 gigs of ram? Wow that is so little in today's market. For my needs, with my computer I need at least 8gb. Then again, a computer requires more ram than a phone or a iPod or iPad.

I believe the 6S should have at least 5gigs. Applications are getting quicker and more advanced. A 5gig processor would power your phone and, lend it to the max. One thing I still wonder is why Apple does not sell the same phone with different amounts of ram?

If they did, i could get a 16gb ram iPad instead if a Windows 7 16gig ran computer for school:eek:!

First off, no phone needs 5 gigs of RAM. Second, RAM comes in multiples and doubles itself almost always starting at 2GB, 4, 8, 16, etc. The demands of iOS are much lower than a full computer.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
First off, no phone needs 5 gigs of RAM. Second, RAM comes in multiples and doubles itself almost always starting at 2GB, 4, 8, 16, etc. The demands of iOS are much lower than a full computer.

True you are correct. TODAY, in 2015, 5 gigs of RAM on a iPhone is overkill. It's not like we play HD High Def games on our apple devices (mobile ones). However, in the future, we will need more gigs for higher application intensive games, and higher CPU intensive software..

My 2007 computer has a duel core processor with something like 2 gigs of ram (Even with the $3000 price tag at the time).

Back on topic, I wonder if the iPad Pro will come with a Intel i7 5th generation? (by the way what type of processor is used in apple devices. Arn't they from samsung)?

I am asking this because, with the iPad Pro music app, it will need more RAM than a iPhone 6S's music app?

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
True you are correct. TODAY, in 2015, 5 gigs of RAM on a iPhone is overkill. It's not like we play HD High Def games on our apple devices (mobile ones). However, in the future, we will need more gigs for higher application intensive games, and higher CPU intensive software..

My 2007 computer has a duel core processor with something like 2 gigs of ram (Even with the $3000 price tag at the time).

Back on topic, I wonder if the iPad Pro will come with a Intel i7 5th generation? (by the way what type of processor is used in apple devices. Arn't they from samsung)?

I am asking this because, with the iPad Pro music app, it will need more RAM than a iPhone 6S's music app?

Guess you're a bit confused on how mobile operating systems work. I suggest you do some research as I'm not going to go into everything.

Playing music is not highly dependent on RAM . You're comparing apples and oranges. iOS used to run off 256MB of RAM 5-6 years ago when computers had 1-2 GB of RAM. RAM comes in handy for some games but mainly for multitasking and multiple safari tabs as the biggest RAM hogs. iOS has been engineered to run on much less RAM than a full blown computer. Its only in the past few years of multitasking, retina displays and 64-bit processors that the system demands more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.