Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple botched my iOS update, their first time they screwed up an update for me. I got some error, then iTunes proceeded to perform a factory restore. I lost all my data as a result. Had to restore using a back-up. All that took me about 2 hours for an update that usually took me about 40 minutes.

rakiec

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Doesnt matter if you already downloaded ios

I was prompted earlier today to update my iPhone to ios5. I choose to download and not install. It downloaded to my iTunes without a problems. Should I be worried about the install process since the download is secure on my laptop? Anyone else at this point? Is the problem with install if you choose to download and install at the same time?

I have iOS5 dowloaded but its when it tries to verify with the server that it fails. So unfortunately, I wait...

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I had this error trying to update my iPad2 but I tried it again and it worked fine.

Frankjake

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Finally......

GOOD NEWS

Okay everyone, I've been on here the entire day trying to get both my iPhone and iPad updated. As some people mention, it's most likely an issue with Apple's servers. They did a horrible job at releasing this update!

But I've finally got both devices updated. Now I don't know if this honestly had anything to do with it but when I put the devices into airplane mode, they both updated the first try. Maybe just luck, I don't know. But it's too strange that I've tried to update over and over and over again and the first time I try it in airplane mode, it worked for both devices. You might just give it a try.

And I gota say, after all my complaining and bitching, the new features that I've checked out so far are GREAT! Just wish we had the new SIRI, maybe we will get it after a few months.

Good luck everyone.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Mine is still downloading and likely has hours to go. Can I stop the download without any problems or do I have to wait it out?

Gyrene

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
The reason for the 3200 error is because the servers are under a heavy load and during the verification process it fails. Give it some time and it will work.

It took me two hours to update my Macbook Pro, 1 hour for my 3GS, and 2 hours for my first iPod.

I am now doing my kids ipods and it is going through without any issues. The server load must be easing off.

Tee1970

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
I was getting error 3200 on several attempts earlier today. It finally upgraded to ios5 about an hour ago, took a long time when it said it was downloading/restore apps but did not seem to be doing anything.

Finally, I picked the phone up while it was still thinking in itunes, the phone looked in normal mode. It wanted me to answer a few questions and then i was able to see all my apps installed okay. Went in to email and a bunch of emails downloaded - about 200 from each account that is set up for the shared mailbox.

None of my music or photos synced though, it says it ran out of space and that about 12 GB of OTHER on the phone. i haven't been able to figure out so far what that is, and it said 4GB of stuff did not fit. Prior to the upgrade I had about 3.5GB free on the 32GB model, no videos, but about 3000 photos and 200 podcasts, several GB of music.

----------

FYI - i rebooted my pc and just tried again.. the mysterious 12GB of OTHER has shrunk back to a more normal half a GB. I am attempting to put my music and photos back on the phone. Interesting - i get the recycling loop of circling arrows, i think it is background syncing!!!!

Maybe fun - can use the phone while it does updates now instead of waiting!

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Was getting error 3200, then I took one of my socks off and boom! It went trough.... Try it! It *just works!

Ok. Seriously. Will wake up tonight and try again....

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
My advice... Do not update, wait.

My phone decided to stop contacting the apple server with a 3004 error after 3 or 4 contacts to Apple. Now the phone is wiped, and repeated restoring (only option), a phone that has n/a for Software Version, Capacity, and Serial Number. It is failing over and over. The phone is dead and useless. If you don't want to be in the same boat, wait until this issue dies down.

This is worse than the .Mac -> MobileMe conversion! :mad:

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Looks like it is finally working. I finally got past backup and now my iPad2 is in restore mode. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
My phone decided to stop contacting the apple server with a 3004 error after 3 or 4 contacts to Apple. Now the phone is wiped, and repeated restoring (only option), a phone that has n/a for Software Version, Capacity, and Serial Number. It is failing over and over. The phone is dead and useless. If you don't want to be in the same boat, wait until this issue dies down.

This is worse than the .Mac -> MobileMe conversion! :mad:

Yes, same for me. My iPhone4 is dead, and I´m getting Time Outs on Apples Update servers. Sometimes it seems to work for a little while as I see the progress bar on my iPhone. But then it throws a 3004 error. My phone is a god damn brick right now. :/

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Mac OS 10.7.2 was a breeze, but after several attempts I finally got iOS 5, but it is not a seamless upgrade as not everything ended up on the phone. I guess I could say this is my worst iOS upgrade experience. I should have it all up and running before I go to bed. then I get to do it again tomorrow for my Mother's iPhone 3G S⃣ .

So far it looks good. Just wish I could use my old @mac.com username as my email again, had to create an @me username for my email. At least I got the one I would want, and an alias I wanted to go with it as well.

Roec

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I have been trying for the past few hours to get the software to update.

First I clicked the Update and went through the 30 minute back-up. I kept getting 3194 errors. I grew tired of the long wait, so I deleted most of my iTouch. That made the back-up go by faster.

Then I grew tired of going through the Update process, so now I aimlessly click on the Restore and Update button. That process takes about 2 minutes and usually delivers the 3194 error after trying to verify the restore with Apple.

Drat!!

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I have an 1st generation iPad, the iOS 5 software update seemed to download fine but then the backup/restore on the iPad failed (I'm using the latest version of iTunes -- 10.5 -- installed that last night) In any case, I restarted my Mac and relaunched iTunes and tried another install and then I got a 3004 error and my iPad is now completely wiped (i.e. nothing on it, says it needs to connect to iTunes, but iTunes says that it needs a complete factory restore).

This seems similar to the problem reported by user rdrr and tblrsa except they were using iPhones and I had an iPad.

This is not good...

PARider

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
This fix worked for me - iOS5 update error

I encountered this error also while updating my iPhone 4. I turned off the phone completely (hold down the sleep button), then restarted my computer. I made sure any other USB items were unplugged from my iMac (Apple suggests this). I started iTunes only, and the update worked after that.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
GOOD NEWS

Okay everyone, I've been on here the entire day trying to get both my iPhone and iPad updated. As some people mention, it's most likely an issue with Apple's servers. They did a horrible job at releasing this update!

But I've finally got both devices updated. Now I don't know if this honestly had anything to do with it but when I put the devices into airplane mode, they both updated the first try. Maybe just luck, I don't know. But it's too strange that I've tried to update over and over and over again and the first time I try it in airplane mode, it worked for both devices. You might just give it a try.

And I gota say, after all my complaining and bitching, the new features that I've checked out so far are GREAT! Just wish we had the new SIRI, maybe we will get it after a few months.

Good luck everyone.

Airplane mode worked for me

Thanks for the tip, but don't get your hopes up for siri without a new device :(

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
This has me all paranoid, I'm watching the loading bars in iTunes like a hawk for any signs of a crash. When does it happen? My bar is about 80-90% done (on iPhone), and iTunes is about half way through "Restoring iPhone firmware...", though I'm sure it done it once before :confused:

edit: Think I'm safe, iTunes is just restoring my phone from backup, just before it started I caught a glimpse of the iPhone start screen you get with iOS5 :D

Last edited:

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Here is a note from Apple's online support documents ("iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting"):
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error3004

Error 3004: If the steps listed in Error 3000-3999 do not resolve the issue, and you are using a Mac, you may be able to resolve an error 3004 by quitting iTunes and using the following command at the command line:
dscacheutil -flushcache

I tried this after my failed update and my iPad was finally restored to the factory defaults (everything on the iPad was wiped, however). Now my iPad is attempting a restore from what I believe to be a previous backup. I don't know if that "flush" worked or did anything useful, but at least I now seem to be making some progress with my iOS 5 update on my iPad.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Wow.

So this whole time, I've been trying to update by doing shift + update since I already had my phone backed up and iOS 5.0 IPSW downloaded. I constantly kept getting the 3002 error for the last 2+ HOURS. I finally decided to put my IPSW in my iTunes C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates and just press update and it's ACTUALLY working! This maybe the reason why everyone is getting an error since we're not n00bs to just press update (well I'm not).

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
my mac pro was giving me those weird error messages
so i plugged it in my macbook air and tried the update from there and got those error popup..but i kept pressing restore restore and it got through..
and all went smoothly in the end.

except my mobileme transfer is not available online for some reason so cant test that out.

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
Does anyone know how long their phone said "Verifying iPhone restore with Apple"? Mine has been like that for about 4 hours.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
restore mode

Mine keeps popping up saying "we have found an iphone in recovery mode, would you like to restore"

upon which I click YES, RESTORE and it takes about 10 minutes to tell me that it cannot restore, 2006 error?

is there ANY fix for this?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Be patient

Jee-wiz you have a significant percentage of the population of the earth all trying to update their iOS devices all at the same time, what do you expect. I guess coming from the PC world I am so used to crappy downloads I don't give this a second thought. Mine took off on the 4th try it has been chugging along now for now for about 2 hours. The loading of iOS-5 took about 30 minutes once it hooked up with the server. The rest of the time it is reloading the backups, settings, and music and video tracks it is just about done reloading the backups and in 15 minute or so I will be playing with iOS-5 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.