Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
The notion of them being "complementary" is fine. The problem is that, for most people, current iPad is not the best complement for the Mac. If you have both devices, chances are Mac is you productivity device and iPad is content consumption device. But:
  • iPad Pro is too expensive for a complementary designation
  • None of the iPad models is optimized for content consumption. Samsung Tab S series is a better device for that for most people: 1) it does have OLED display which is not as bright as new iPad panels but it's perfectly fine for indoor usage 2) it has 16:10 display ratio 3) it has more reasonable price.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The notion of them being "complementary" is fine. The problem is that, for most people, current iPad is not the best complement for the Mac. If you have both devices, chances are Mac is you productivity device and iPad is content consumption device. But:
I think what they’re saying is the Mac is the complement to the iPad in some specific instances. If someone has an iPad and, after getting it, wants to run applications the iPad doesn’t run, then they’ll need another system for that. If the applications they want to run, run on Windows, they’ll need a Windows machine. If the applications they want to run, run on macOS, then they’ll need a Mac. And, if someone has a Mac and wants to run iPad applications, they’ll need an iPad. It goes both ways.

If someone owns an iPad and can do what they want to do, then there’s no need for anything else. That’s where most people are.

If anyone with Apple News+ wants to read the article, it’s here.

jadenandwillow

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
I’m getting really tired of everyone in the MacRumors forum thinking they know more than the executive team of one of the most successful company in all of human history.
It’s the same thing in every thread here.

A company as big as Apple probably spends millions in market research before making any decisions. They know what they are doing.

If the iPad Pro is not the right device for you, don’t buy it.

There’s currently 400 million iPad users, including me. They are clearly doing something right.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I don't think that's the main thing holding them back. I think they can make a great iPadOS that's more Mac like, but the problem is that if they do that, Mac sales will take a hit. And since Macs are more expensive, they would take a revenue hit.
iPad Pro is sometimes more expensive than a Macbook Air for some combinations of memory and keyboard and pencil.

It's an expensive tool for specific users and gets kudos for being the best device around technically.

A better Files app would go a long way to making iPadOS better.
Other apps work mostly fine. Office apps (either Microsoft or Apple) work better with keyboards rather than fingers.
The new iPad keyboard with extra keys and trackpad will make it even better. For those who need it.

The 11" devices are always a typing compromise.
But the 13" iPads are low end laptop size and people seem to expect these devices should be more Mac like or have a Mac mode. The hardware is powerful enough (although maybe MacOS would hit the battery life in a bad way).

Reactions: bcortens

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
iPad Pro is sometimes more expensive than a Macbook Air for some combinations of memory and keyboard and pencil.

It's an expensive tool for specific users and gets kudos for being the best device around technically.

A better Files app would go a long way to making iPadOS better.
Other apps work mostly fine. Office apps (either Microsoft or Apple) work better with keyboards rather than fingers.
The new iPad keyboard with extra keys and trackpad will make it even better. For those who need it.

The 11" devices are always a typing compromise.
But the 13" iPads are low end laptop size and people seem to expect these devices should be more Mac like or have a Mac mode. The hardware is powerful enough (although maybe MacOS would hit the battery life in a bad way).

Honestly, the files app issue has been solved mostly for me and is actually even better than the pre-iCloud finder in most cases for me. I keep most of my files on iCloud Drive now, so it's even more convenient how everything syncs.

Reactions: throAU

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I’m getting really tired of everyone in the MacRumors forum thinking they know more than the executive team of one of the most successful company in all of human history.
It’s the same thing in every thread here.

A company as big as Apple probably spends millions in market research before making any decisions. They know what they are doing.

If the iPad Pro is not the right device for you, don’t buy it.

There’s currently 400 million iPad users, including me. They are clearly doing something right.
Mic drop!

• Love
Reactions: jadenandwillow

CrownSeven

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
There are numerous fallacies in this. They have the same SoC, but an SoC isn’t the whole computer. Also, the batteries are much smaller and the thermals are much worse than a MBA. It’s also a touch device whereas macOS and all of its apps are touch hostile. Sure it could run macOS, but it would suck badly. Craig F. even said so years ago, saying they had macOS running on iPads. They tested it and found the experience to be pretty bad. Apple doesn’t deliberately ship awful experiences (note I said deliberately).

Aside from bad user interfaces, Apple spent years implementing battery saving techniques, such as not permitting background operations and indirect server-based notification methods. Stick macOS on an iPad and all that goes out a window. If you want an overheating device with a 2-hour or less battery life, go for it. It’s indisputable an iPad is a lesser animal than a MBA, something everyone acknowledges is for light computing and not for ultra-powerful apps. Yet somehow people here seem to think a lesser device than a MBA can be turned into the ultimate laptop that competes with a high end MacBook Pro. The Pro name just means it’s the highest end of the iPad line. That doesn’t make it on the level of a MacBook Pro. The lesson here is be careful of what you ask for. You might get it… and regret it.
Stop sucking apples teet. Your arguments are terrible.

Sure it could run macOS, but it would suck badly…..lol…says who exactly?

Tell me this. Up until recently you could run Windows 10 on an ipad pro through virtualization. Guess what? It ran very well. Are you telling macos runs worse NATIVELY on an m1 than a virtualized version of Window 10 on an m1?

GTFO shill.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Lol sorry I haven't slept in a couple days. But I still don't think the heat from the panel, rather than more cooling aluminum, can be ignored. Maybe there's a way to actually measure thermal capacity instead of all this guessing.
Hah. I get that. Just taking the piss with the 4 inch thing.

There will be differences I’m sure. But I don’t think it would be that great. For the use I am thinking the limitation of a slower Mac on iPad is not a problem. I am thinking cases where someone has a Mac desktop of some flavor. Or even a solid MBP. the times to run out to a coffee shop or bar for a few hours and not take all the horsepower with them.

If I could run Xcode or eclipse or full Excel on iPad in those cases it would be worth the trade offs.

I agree it’s not feasible to make an iPad a complete replacement for an actual Mac, but the use case I am describing fits quite well into the idea of an iPad complimenting a Mac. To do so really requires more that iPadOS allows today.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Stop sucking apples teet. Your arguments are terrible.

Sure it could run macOS, but it would suck badly…..lol…says who exactly?

Tell me this. Up until recently you could run Windows 10 on an ipad pro through virtualization. Guess what? It ran very well. Are you telling macos runs worse NATIVELY on an m1 than a virtualized version of Window 10 on an m1?

GTFO shill.
Says Craig Federighi, who said they had macOS running in their labs years ago to test whether they should bring macOS to the iPad. He said the experience was terrible, so Apple won’t be bringing macOS to the iPad, ever. While my opinion means nothing, Craig F is the Sr. VP of Software Engineering and if he says it’s not happening, it’s not happening. You can hate on me all you want and call me names, but that doesn’t change the fact Apple will never do what you want them to do.

You can’t even get what I said correctly. It isn’t that macOS doesn’t run. It’s that the experience is terrible. He specifically mentioned macOS is not optimized for touch and would be an awful thing to put on an iPad. He wasn’t talking about whether it was laggy or buggy. He was saying you wouldn’t like it if you tried it because neither macOS nor any Mac apps are optimized for iPad. In other words, you’d be frustrated trying to manipulate controls that aren’t designed for touch. That has nothing to do with how fast macOS would run on an iPad. So your thing about Windows running on an M1 is a non-sequitor.

Get back to me when you actually know what you’re talking about.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Says Craig Federighi, who said they had macOS running in their labs years ago to test whether they should bring macOS to the iPad. He said the experience was terrible, so Apple won’t be bringing macOS to the iPad, ever. While my opinion means nothing, Craig F is the Sr. VP of Software Engineering and if he says it’s not happening, it’s not happening. You can hate on me all you want and call me names, but that doesn’t change the fact Apple will never do what you want them to do.

You can’t even get what I said correctly. It isn’t that macOS doesn’t run. It’s that the experience is terrible. He specifically mentioned macOS is not optimized for touch and would be an awful thing to put on an iPad. He wasn’t talking about whether it was laggy or buggy. He was saying you wouldn’t like it if you tried it because neither macOS nor any Mac apps are optimized for iPad. In other words, you’d be frustrated trying to manipulate controls that aren’t designed for touch. That has nothing to do with how fast macOS would run on an iPad. So your thing about Windows running on an M1 is a non-sequitor.

Get back to me when you actually know what you’re talking about.
Yes he said that. I don’t think it would be a terrible experience. If you stop thinking that macOS on iPad has to be touch. A docked iPad running a macOS mode slightly slower (maybe) that an MBA blocking touch input would be fine. Absuletly the same experience as a 13” MBA or MBP.

Just because the thing has a digitizer does not mean it has to be active in all modes.

Given common SOC, likely aligned supporting hardware, common core os, power mgmt, memory mgmt, networking mgmt, etc it should be possible to have a Mac up mode when docked and touch up when not. Or to support running actual Mac apps on iPad using non-touch interface.

Last edited:

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
There aren’t that many people who want macOS. You’re living in a tech bubble with tech diehards who want to manipulate Terminal settings. The 99.9% of regular people like iPadOS just the way it is. They don’t want a Mac. They want the ultra portability and simplicity of iPadOS. IPadOS is just fine and doesn’t need any fundamental changes.
I know that I want to run macOS apps on my iPad Pro. No idea why you would associate this with "tech bubble with tech diehards who want to manipulate Terminal settings". Totally lost on me and very strange! The latest iPad Pro should be faster than my M1 MBP I have. Why would I not run Lightroom Classic etc. on it as well?

When I’ve surveyed people in the past, it isn’t iPadOS that people want a change to. They want to run Mac programs because they tend to be more mature than their iPad counterparts. That isn’t the OS. That’s the apps. People may ask why iPad apps (some) can run on macOS while Mac apps cannot run on iPadOS, it’s because of sandboxing. macOS supports sandboxing, but is not enforced. IPadOS requires sandboxing, which very few Mac apps support. Mac apps are allowed to range all over the file system while sandboxing prevents that and would break Mac apps.
User story: I want to run macOS apps on iPad Pro. Implementation detail: difficult without significant redesign to run them on iPad OS. Solution: Why can't I have macOS on iPad os? Another implementation challenge: Apple would have to make macOS touch compatible to be consistent and find a way to not frustrate users with apps that are not designed for touch at all.
btw.: Would you mind sharing your survey? You are mentioning it but you are not sharing the details. Makes it hard to judge if it is relevant or not
That’s why Terminal and Finder are forbidden and will never happen and why Apple threw in Stage Manager instead of Finder. Finder just isn’t possible. If Apple were to change sandboxing, it would essentially be a complete rewrite of iPadOS since that is a core security feature of their mobile OS’es. If Apple had the opportunity to redo macOS, they’d make it more like iPadOS rather than the other way around. But the horse left that barn decades ago. Rewriting macOS would break almost all existing Mac apps.
Again: You are down the road of how you would implement it. User does not care if iPad OS with macOS apps, or if macOS on iPP with touch enabled... I have some thoughts how I would approach this technically, but that's for another time.
Keep in mind Macs have been around for almost four decades with macOS being around for 20 years or so. IPadOS is very new with programmers, unfamiliar with how to write touch-first apps. There’s a steep learning curve, hence the slower pace of iPad apps. It’s flat out hard to write touch programs. Stalwarts like Photoshop promised fully desktop features, but it’s been three years and counting. Final Cut Pro is still missing plugins but is slowly moving forwards. DaVinci Resolve ported all their desktop tabs but hid all but two because they aren’t sure how well they’d work in a touch environment.
Been around since NeXT OS, and loved it. Getting touch into a desktop OS with apps not designed for it at all is the only real problem I accept here...
So it’s not really iPadOS that people have a beef with. It’s that they own Mac programs they want to run. But consider this, people knock the MacBook Air for throttling and poor performance with high end Mac apps and consider the MacBook Air to be more of a casual consumer device.
Disagreed with the the MacBook Air issues. The M1/M2 Airs are great IMHO. Not a replacement for a Studio or a future apple silicon Mac Pro, and never been one.
The iPad Pro is a lesser beast than even the MacBook Air with smaller battery and poorer thermals, yet people here want the iPad Pro to run software that would make an M3 Max MBP sweat. Even if it were to run macOS where Apple shockingly makes it touch-friendly (it’s not in the least), no Mac apps are touch friendly. This is the same curse that hits Surface Pros. MS has tried since Vista to make a successful hybrid and has failed. One of the big reasons is the lack of touch friendly apps. Nobody wants to be tethered to a mouse and keyboard on a tablet, because it’s no longer a tablet if you do that.
Don't see a M4 iPP as a lesser device than the M2 MBA we have at home or my MBP M1 I am using. I am fine with the iPP to run the same apps we are using there and that are not making them sweat at all.
I think you are in a special bubble here on very demanding apps.
And yes, I am totally fine "being tethered" to a keyboard with the iPP when running macOS and/or apps, but still want to use the pen for some apps.
I am not sure the Surface Pros are considered a failure at MS. I know people who moved from MacBook to Surface and like it. Not a representative survey though...
So why bother making an inferior device to a MacBook Air into a MacBook Pro? It’s a recipe for disaster, which is why Apple won’t do it. They’re not stupid enough to not see a disaster in the making, just watching Microsoft flail. It’s not that they’re out of touch with the people. They know exactly what most people want. MacOS isn’t it except with a small subset of the perpetually online geeks.
Not sure if they really appreciate what people want. I don't have any research backing this. Would love to see their product discovery process (if they did one) on the related user stories. But these are clearly highly sensitive.
I would not rule out that all your assumptions claims and thoughts might have had a lesser impact on the decisions at Apple than their fear to cannibalize their business. In their high confidence they might underestimate though that if they don't compete internally, the door will be open for external competition.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
I know that I want to run macOS apps on my iPad Pro.

This is completely unnecessary for obvious reasons.

macOS apps are a hog compared to what developers can do natively on the iPad and Apple would prefer if macOS apps were as efficient as iPad apps.

Everyone should know this by now. It's right there with Catalyst.

macOS apps would run like crap on an iPad for the same reason Windows desktop apps run like crap on Surface tablets. Could you image all the teeth gnashing and hair pulling because people started doing Blender renders or Ollama text generation on their tablet and saw the device overheat and screen burn from it?

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024

Don't post links to clown sites. The goal was always to have an App Store alongside movies and music stores. It was one of the biggest predictions and talking points going back years before it launched. For a few years Apple hosted third party apps in iTools shared folders.

Auto updating software was a wide request too.

incidentallycheckout

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2024
They can make iPadOS better without outright making it macOS (never will happen).

But there are things such as Finder which can be done better.

For me, the issue isn't running macOS on an iPad, it's that iPadOS needs to be its own OS and not just a forked version of iOS.

Reactions: Mitthrawnuruodo

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Honestly, the files app issue has been solved mostly for me and is actually even better than the pre-iCloud finder in most cases for me. I keep most of my files on iCloud Drive now, so it's even more convenient how everything syncs.

Yup.

All my important stuff is iCloud synced anyhow so whether I navigate to it with finder, directly via an app or via files on the tablet... meh. Makes no difference.

Reactions: lxmeta

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
This is completely unnecessary for obvious reasons.
What do you know about my use cases?
macOS apps are a hog compared to what developers can do natively on the iPad and Apple would prefer if macOS apps were as efficient as iPad apps.
If I can run my apps on a 16G MBP M1 to my satisfaction I can do so on a iPP M4 with 16G
Everyone should know this by now. It's right there with Catalyst.
Really? So nobody should use MacBooks because they are soo crap?
macOS apps would run like crap on an iPad for the same reason Windows desktop apps run like crap on Surface tablets. Could you image all the teeth gnashing and hair pulling because people started doing Blender renders or Ollama text generation on their tablet and saw the device overheat and screen burn from it?
Define crap. If my apps run the same way on my iPP with a keyboard as they run on a MBP with keyboard, I am ok.
You completely lost me on your Blender and Ollama topic. Get a device that is fit for your purpose and be happy. I guess you must have tested the new iPP very thoroughly already to know about all that crap and overheating... Would you mind sharing your test procedure? Btw.: If a MBA is not good enough for you, this is NOT an argument against an iPP with macOS. It just means it is not for you...
The iPP M4 would be perfectly fine to run my apps that are currently running on my M1 MBP
I suggest that people accept that other people may have different requirements from their own.
Just because I want something does not mean that you should want it.
I can live with that pretty well :). I'd suggest you do the same.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
User story: I want to run macOS apps on iPad Pro. Implementation detail: difficult without significant redesign to run them on iPad OS. Solution: Why can't I have macOS on iPad os? Another implementation challenge: Apple would have to make macOS touch compatible to be consistent and find a way to not frustrate users with apps that are not designed for touch at all.
btw.: Would you mind sharing your survey? You are mentioning it but you are not sharing the details. Makes it hard to judge if it is relevant or not

thing is the UI code is pretty generic and can be re-bound. there's nothing to stop apple doing a shim to essentially migrate macOS UI elements to iPadOS UI on a one for one basis. both have buttons, drop downs, mouse pointer targets, etc. available in the UI kit.

The menu bar? Can trivially be re-displayed in an iPadOS specific UI element. The dock already exists on both platforms, Window management via stage manager already exists on both platforms.

I'm hoping for this and if I was running apple I would be working towards this. Running iPad apps on the Mac is step one, running Mac apps on iPadOS is step two, and sooner or later the platforms will converge and the UI for the app will simply shift to the relevant UI depending on what platform the app runs on.

The hardware is the same. Both platforms have their roots in nextstep, there's no technical reason apple can't do this. Its just a question of the will to do it, and given the hardware advance on the higher end iPads, the commonality with the Mac hardware and the cleanly abstracted UI of native macOS or iPadOS apps I think it is inevitable. I'm just hoping the time is "soon", hopefully iPadOS 18.

As above - I DO NOT WANT macOS on the iPad. I want apps to basically shift UI based on the platform they are running on. As above, there is little technical reason this can't be done, and unlike Windows, as macOS and iPadOS UI are fairly cleanly abstracted from the rest of the application I don't even believe it would be difficult for a company with a fraction of Apple's resources. It's just a case of will to do it.

Microsoft is not in a position to do this with Windows due to the legacy baggage and decades of hacks upon hacks to the core codebase. Just look how it has taken them more than a decade to try and get rid of control panel, and still haven't managed it yet. The code complexity and baggage is why.

As an aside, this is how the vision pro is going to end up with a large number of apps as well. The UI events in the code will simply be re-targeted to Vision Pro UI elements, just like I have proposed above for macOS/iPadOS. Same thing.

Apple have been maintaining a fairly clean code base with clear lines of demarcation in their libraries for decades now - they've been doing so with the long game in mind, and the fruits of their labour in doing so are close to becoming reality. They had the opportunity to start over with nextstep/macOS X once all this was feasible from a performance perspective.

Microsoft on the other hand has been spending far too much effort maintaining legacy compatibility with 35 year old hacks in their platform and as a result do not have this flexibility. Which is why they have tried to force one OS everywhere and we had the whole Windows 8 UI debacle and 3-4 years in there was still no native touch version of office for Windows. There still isn't - if you want a touch friendly version of Office you buy an iPad.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxmeta

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard someone declare that Apple should “just” add touchscreen support to MacOS and allow iPads to dual-boot between MacOS and iPadOS, I’d be a very annoying customer at the bank tomorrow. Those who espouse this opinion are often so adamant that such an arrangement would be both an undeniably good idea for users and “easy” for Apple to do that they are convinced that the only possible explanation for why Apple hasn’t done this is that it’s all part of a scheme to sell both an iPad and MacBook to users who might otherwise just need one.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yet people still think macOS will come to iPad, enough is enough. It’s not coming. People need to get it through their head that two device will exist, and one will not replace with another
Fair point but that’s Apple we are looking at. They also claimed to never make a video iPod until they did, and shouted the no no no from the rooftops. It’s a publicly traded company that even goes so far as to apologize for their own ads - everything is possible at Apple these days.

Reactions: DavidSchaub

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
It's not just a case of allowing MacOS to run on an iPad, it's all the extra engineering and cost that would have to go in to allow that to happen. Apple would still have the cost of developing and maintaining iPadOS, and a new additional cost of developing and maintaining MacOS for iPad. This would eat into the margin they earn on the iPad and reduce revenue.
Well, I'm calling BS on Apple being worried about eating into any kind of revenue because they put a lot of time and money into developing Vision Pro and VisionOS (and the return on that must be minimal or non-existent, and will be for a long time) and allegedly spent over a billion dollars on developing a car that they've allegedly cancelled.

I guess we will find out next month if they've listened at all.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
Says Craig Federighi, who said they had macOS running in their labs years ago to test whether they should bring macOS to the iPad. He said the experience was terrible, so Apple won’t be bringing macOS to the iPad, ever. While my opinion means nothing, Craig F is the Sr. VP of Software Engineering and if he says it’s not happening, it’s not happening.

People wanting a full fat desktop OS like macOS on a tablet which has CPU sandwiched super tightly between the case and the screen won't listen to sense. They just want to rant and win internet points. If you reason with them in person they will say yeah. You can load up an intensive app on an iPad and show them the heat. They will listen in person. Online people are not themselves. They lose their real senses.

Others on a number of sites are trolls and influencers bribed by competitors to spread misinformation and mania to sabotage Apple's line up and add confusing noise to the product release.

This mania and misinformation campaign will pass anyway. There have been variations of this during every major product release cycle going back to the 80s.

Then...there are more sensible people who just want drop down menus from the menu bar, or snappier Stage Manager, or better file management. That's sensible and we should have that on iPadOS. It will come in due time. Presently iPadOS has to support iPads that go back about 5 years, including the A12/A13 chips.

iPadOS today isn't the same as it was 5 years ago. In 5 years from now it will have these new features and it will all be optimised for the new CPU families.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.