Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I guess we will find out next month if they've listened at all.
I think, like with the Mac Pros, when they invited specific folks to their campus to understand their workflows, then used that to create the M3 Mac Pro… they will show they HAVE listened, but they’ll have listened to folks already on board with the general iPadOS direction as it exists. It’ll be folks not looking for “filesystem”, but folks looking for API’s and features that enhance their current “filesystem”-less workflows.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
They can do this for a while, but sooner or later someone else will eat their lunch.
Unfortunately, it appears to be a foregone conclusion that no one will ever eat their lunch. So much so, that the EU, so STRONG is their assumption that market forces won’t prevail and bring another company to the top, has essentially legislated Apple as one of two of the only mobile OS vendors in the region.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
People wanting a full fat desktop OS like macOS on a tablet which has CPU sandwiched super tightly between the case and the screen won't listen to sense. They just want to rant and win internet points. If you reason with them in person they will say yeah. You can load up an intensive app on an iPad and show them the heat. They will listen in person. Online people are not themselves. They lose their real senses.

You mean macOS won't run on a thermally constrained fanless device running an M series SOC?

You know the MacBook Air works just fine like that?

While I agree with some of your post... there's nothing to stop the iPad doing thermal management just like the MacBook Air does. It already will when running games and other high stress workloads.

You can run resident evil 4 on the iPad. or the iPhone for that matter. There is zero reason you couldn't run anything on the iPad that currently runs on macOS, the hardware is more than capable!

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
You got the quote wrong. The quote from the kid was “What’s a computer?” Not “what’s a laptop?” There’s a big difference because a laptop is a computer but a computer is not necessarily a laptop. All Apple was saying is that the iPad is also a computer. This advertising campaign was done during the days when iPads were considered toys used for casual tasks only and mostly used by little kids. Apple wanted people to seriously consider an iPad as a computer.

From that spawned endless statements from people who misunderstood the ad and thought that Apple was promising the iPad was a laptop replacement. It is not, and Apple never promised it would be. The word, laptop, was never mentioned in the ad. Neither was desktop but I haven’t heard one person ever say Apple promised the iPad would be a desktop replacement, so I’m not sure how anyone ever got laptop replacement out of that ad.
you're playing semantics - it doesnt matter that the word used was computer instead of laptop, the implication is the same. The promo was trying to demonstrate that the iPad was a computer / laptop replacement. When the word computer is used there is no other connotation to attach to it other than laptop or desktop.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
You mean macOS won't run on a thermally constrained fanless device running an M series SOC?

It has been explained by myself above and many others online that these devices are not alike. The iPad has a screen sitting directly on the CPU and the heatsink is razor thin compared to the Air. It's not the same package design.

Apple is likely undervolting the M chip in the iPad significantly to avoid damaging the screen. Even then some creative apps push the CPU enough that the screen warms up. That's a display we rest our hands on so user comfort is paramount.

Do not forget that iPadOS and its apps have to support several generations of CPUs. The world doesn't revolve around you and your wants. There are millions of users who do not buy the latest hardware.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022

You can run resident evil 4 on the iPad. or the iPhone for that matter. There is zero reason you couldn't run anything on the iPad that currently runs on macOS, the hardware is more than capable!

Games for tablets and smartphones are not identical to their desktop or console counterparts. Their texture and model resolution are reduced to optimize performance and temperature. Hell man even the Mac versions of many games aren’t quite a direct port of the PC versions. Developers have to do a lot of tailoring and optimizing for their target platforms.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It has been explained by myself above and many others online that these devices are not alike. The iPad has a screen sitting directly on the CPU and the heatsink is razor thin compared to the Air. It's not the same package design.

Apple is likely undervolting the M chip in the iPad significantly to avoid damaging the screen. Even then some creative apps push the CPU enough that the screen warms up. That's a display we rest our hands on so user comfort is paramount.

Do not forget that iPadOS and its apps have to support several generations of CPUs. The world doesn't revolve around you and your wants. There are millions of users who do not buy the latest hardware.

Sure, and the apps have requirements too. 🤷‍♂️

Like macOS doesn't support several generations of CPU? I'm writing this on a 10 year old Mac Pro....

The m4 iPad is benchmarking MUCH faster than my Mac Pro. They have plenty of power to run a selection of macOS apps.

Claiming otherwise or that they are somehow unable to run the same software as a MacBook from today, never mind a year or two ago is just... clueless.

Reactions: lxmeta

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Games for tablets and smartphones are not identical to their desktop or console counterparts. Their texture and model resolution are reduced to optimize performance and temperature. Hell man even the Mac versions of many games aren’t quite a direct port of the PC versions. Developers have to do a lot of tailoring and optimizing for their target platforms.

You're kinda missing the point. The point is that running say, something like Divinity or Resident evil 4 is MUCH more stressful on hardware than 99% of macOS applications on the market that anyone would want to run on a tablet.

And the tablets from 2-3 years ago can do that, and survive.

Reactions: carswell and lxmeta

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
What blows my mind, cellular on the iPad but not Mac books, if you throw in the Magic Keyboard On an iPad Pro, it’s literally a mini PC, hell, I’ve been using my iPad Pro for documents because of the keyboard and faster integration, meaning that I can download my paperwork thanks to cellular.

The iPad’s with cellular features will run around in circles when it comes to Mac’s.

I’m a huge fan of the magic keyboard, as a matter of fact, the new keyboard’s shortcuts must be for tech illiterate consumers who can’t bother to learn the shortcut popup app because I memorize them, sure it makes things easier but now that they closed the gap between both and added the same functions, what’s the hold up? LOL.

lxmeta

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Austria
People wanting a full fat desktop OS like macOS on a tablet which has CPU sandwiched super tightly between the case and the screen won't listen to sense. They just want to rant and win internet points. If you reason with them in person they will say yeah. You can load up an intensive app on an iPad and show them the heat. They will listen in person. Online people are not themselves. They lose their real senses.

Others on a number of sites are trolls and influencers bribed by competitors to spread misinformation and mania to sabotage Apple's line up and add confusing noise to the product release.

This mania and misinformation campaign will pass anyway. There have been variations of this during every major product release cycle going back to the 80s.

<snip>
Facts:
  1. My favorite MacBook was the MacBook Retina 12". I miss it a lot!
  2. Returned a MBP 2017 Core i7 under lemon law, also because the mainboard failed 3 times due to overheating
  3. My iPP can get warm, but never overheated to a problematic level
Your judging of every deviating opinion as "rant", "trolls" and "confusing noise" etc. == omen est nomen!

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada

While I agree with some of your post... there's nothing to stop the iPad doing thermal management just like the MacBook Air does. It already will when running games and other high stress workloads.

While I advocate for background processing limits being lifted I don’t think they should be entirely removed. The battery life on iPad is largely thanks to the way it limits background processes considering just how much smaller the batteries in iPad are vs the mac. Allowing unconstrained processing would likely lead to far shorter battery life if people tried to use their iPads the way they do their macs. This isn’t a fault of the iPad, this is a fault in the reasoning of those calling for macOS on iPad. The iPad and iPadOS are designed with each others limitations in mind. If Apple had macOS in mind when designing the iPad they would probably have tried to increase the capacity of the battery to match the MacBook Air.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
There are a few basic productivity tasks that, in my opinion, people should be able to do comfortably on an iPad Pro. Creative things like recording a podcast, editing and publishing YouTube or TikTok content, photography and graphic design at a professional level.

Is it there audio recorder that could record audio? If not I’m sure there is some third party audio recorder at the app store that would record audio coming through system.

As for editing and publishing YouTube or TikTok content you need video editor.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
I mean its a public forum for talking about Apple stuff with Apple enthusiasts. Isn't this the place to do exactly what I am doing?

Every single iPad Pro review released the last week has all said the same thing I have, and it's the same thing reviewers have been saying for years. My opinion isn't a new one. There's even a article by MacRumors on the front page noting the issues with iPadOS:

What kind of features in ipadOS it is lacking? That it has to have to be more pro like where the OS is not being held back with limitations.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
iPads are cheaper. $350 and even cheaper on sale.

Definitely a market for them with kids and grandparents along with seeing small businesses use them as cash registers (in my experience.)

Apple doesn't want to give them too much ability or they might cannibalize Macs. Folks like me might go cheap iPads if they did decent multitasking, file system and external monitor support.
I would think most of the multitasking limitations you speak of is there is lot iPads with only 2GB of RAM and some 3GB of RAM.

And the OS it self probably takes up 1GB of RAM or 512 MB if you lucky.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
I’m getting really tired of everyone in the MacRumors forum thinking they know more than the executive team of one of the most successful company in all of human history.
It’s the same thing in every thread here.

A company as big as Apple probably spends millions in market research before making any decisions. They know what they are doing.
Would you say the same thing about GM? Yknow, one of the most successful companies in all of human history?

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
While I advocate for background processing limits being lifted I don’t think they should be entirely removed. The battery life on iPad is largely thanks to the way it limits background processes considering just how much smaller the batteries in iPad are vs the mac. Allowing unconstrained processing would likely lead to far shorter battery life if people tried to use their iPads the way they do their macs. This isn’t a fault of the iPad, this is a fault in the reasoning of those calling for macOS on iPad. The iPad and iPadOS are designed with each others limitations in mind. If Apple had macOS in mind when designing the iPad they would probably have tried to increase the capacity of the battery to match the MacBook Air.
The IPP battery is 75% that of the 13" MBA. If I can get 18 hours video and 15 hours of "wireless web" from MBA I should be able to easily get 13 nd 11 hours respectively from an IPP. Most people are not overtaxing their Airs with "pro workloads" (whatever your definition of pro is) and I would not expect anyone asking for a macOS mode or the ability to run Mac apps on IPP (like Mac can run iOS apps) would be trying to master the next Pixar film either.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
The IPP battery is 75% that of the 13" MBA. If I can get 18 hours video and 15 hours of "wireless web" from MBA I should be able to easily get 13 nd 11 hours respectively from an IPP. Most people are not overtaxing their Airs with "pro workloads" (whatever your definition of pro is) and I would not expect anyone asking for a macOS mode or the ability to run Mac apps on IPP (like Mac can run iOS apps) would be trying to master the next Pixar film either.
Apple quotes 10 hours of battery life for the iPad Pro, they quote this for wireless web and video. Battery life with Gershin Impact is generally around 5 or so hours.

People use the Air for “pro“ workloads all the time. Why couldn’t they do some mastering of the next big film? Many wanting macOS on iPad seem to be developers and compiling swift projects in Xcode would likely drop the battery life to around the same level as Gershin Impact even without anything else running in the background.

I see no reason why a limit of 2-4 high performance long running background tasks would be a great hindrance.

GooseInTheCaboose

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2022
The purpose of the ads was to communicate that a computer can be something very different from traditional desktop and laptop computers running a desktop operating system.
Yeah, I mean I use both devices as complements to eachother. However, from my experience with other people who are less knowledgable about macs, MANY of those people got the impression the iPad Pro was some kind of laptop replacement.

And in the earlier (and even later) years of the iPP the forums were inundated with posts asking “Is the iPad Pro a good laptop replacement for me?”

I think a lot of naive and somewhat tech-illiterate consumers who were hoping for a frugal all in one solution were taken advantage of by this rhetoric honestly…

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
The same guys who were interviewed by Joanna Stern were also interviewed by Brian Tong on his YouTube channel. He asked the same question about macOS and you can hear Borger’s complete answer here, which is basically what he told Stern. You can pretty much guarantee there will be no macOS coming in June because they see the iPad as an overlapping device with Macs that do a lot of things Macs cannot do. They emphasized the touch first aspect of the iPad over the indirect input paradigm of a mouse and the ability of the iPad to thrive without a keyboard or mouse. To me, that means if iPad does get more desktop-like features, they will continue to emphasize that they will be in touch-oriented incarnations. That tells me there will also not be any ability to run Mac programs on iPadOS. Their vision for the iPad remains touch first with the flexibility to be completely untethered from any external inputs. I know this will disappoint some, but will hearten others that Apple’s iPad vision remains unchanged.

A couple other things they talked about is confirming why the Apple Pencil Pro doesn’t work on older iPads. They said what we theorized. By moving the camera to the landscape position, they had to completely redesign the charging system necessitating the new Pencil Pro design.

To no one’s surprise, I get the impression WWDC will be wall-to-wall AI.

When asked why M4 in the IPP, they also confirmed that only the M4 has the ability to drive that tandem OLED display. They also mentioned ZBrush, a high end professional program, will be coming to iPad specifically because of the new features in the M4 along with a new version of Procreate which will require the M4 for some of their new features. So is M4 overkill? Sure, it’s overkill for some people just as an M1 is overkill in the MacBook Air for some people. But for others, these advanced processors are essential. If your apps don’t take advantage of these new features, that’s the fault of those app developers. Apple can only provide the APIs and can’t hand hold them.

Here’s the interview if you want to see it yourself:

Reactions: The Samurai

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Apple quotes 10 hours of battery life for the iPad Pro, they quote this for wireless web and video. Battery life with Gershin Impact is generally around 5 or so hours.

People use the Air for “pro“ workloads all the time. Why couldn’t they do some mastering of the next big film? Many wanting macOS on iPad seem to be developers and compiling swift projects in Xcode would likely drop the battery life to around the same level as Gershin Impact even without anything else running in the background.

I see no reason why a limit of 2-4 high performance long running background tasks would be a great hindrance.
I’ve actually seen a couple of battery tests now comparing the 2024 IPP to the 2022 IPP. They are rather impressive. Despite Apple promising 10 hours only, one tester came up with just under 10.5 hours for the 2022 IPP while those same tests ended up with over 13 hours on the 2024 IPP. It seems despite a smaller battery, the IPP gets about 30% more battery life. Another video test showed a drawdown on the 2022 IPP to 52% on the tests run while the 2024 IPP was sitting at 75% after the same tests. With results like that, it’s pretty clear Apple not only made it thinner but seriously increased battery life.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
What blows my mind, cellular on the iPad but not Mac books, if you throw in the Magic Keyboard On an iPad Pro, it’s literally a mini PC, hell, I’ve been using my iPad Pro for documents because of the keyboard and faster integration, meaning that I can download my paperwork thanks to cellular.

The iPad’s with cellular features will run around in circles when it comes to Mac’s.

I’m a huge fan of the magic keyboard, as a matter of fact, the new keyboard’s shortcuts must be for tech illiterate consumers who can’t bother to learn the shortcut popup app because I memorize them, sure it makes things easier but now that they closed the gap between both and added the same functions, what’s the hold up? LOL.
If I were to guess, it’s probably due to Qualcomm’s licensing terms that Apple fought in court for years and lost. Unlike most suppliers, Qualcomm demands royalties based on the percentage of the cost of the entire device, not just for what they supply. That means the more expensive an item is, the more the license holder has to pay Qualcomm even if the chips are the same. MacBooks are expensive beasts, so if Apple put a modem in a laptop, they’d have to pay Qualcomm a ton of money, not just for the modem but a percentage of the cost of the Mac. Say someone did spend $7000 on a completely maxed out M3 Max MBP. Qualcomm would get a much bigger haul than they’d get from a consumer buying a base MBA.

Since most Mac owners have iPhones, or at least a modern phone, those owners likely have access to tethering. I suspect that’s their solution. iPads tend to be cheaper, so Qualcomm gets less on average than if cellular modems are put on MacBooks. If Apple’s own cellular modem efforts ever pay off, I’d guess cellular would come to MacBooks.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
The same guys who were interviewed by Joanna Stern were also interviewed by Brian Tong on his YouTube channel. He asked the same question about macOS and you can hear Borger’s complete answer here, which is basically what he told Stern. You can pretty much guarantee there will be no macOS coming in June because they see the iPad as an overlapping device with Macs that do a lot of things Macs cannot do. They emphasized the touch first aspect of the iPad over the indirect input paradigm of a mouse and the ability of the iPad to thrive without a keyboard or mouse. To me, that means if iPad does get more desktop-like features, they will continue to emphasize that they will be in touch-oriented incarnations. That tells me there will also not be any ability to run Mac programs on iPadOS. Their vision for the iPad remains touch first with the flexibility to be completely untethered from any external inputs. I know this will disappoint some, but will hearten others that Apple’s iPad vision remains unchanged.

A couple other things they talked about is confirming why the Apple Pencil Pro doesn’t work on older iPads. They said what we theorized. By moving the camera to the landscape position, they had to completely redesign the charging system necessitating the new Pencil Pro design.

To no one’s surprise, I get the impression WWDC will be wall-to-wall AI.

When asked why M4 in the IPP, they also confirmed that only the M4 has the ability to drive that tandem OLED display. They also mentioned ZBrush, a high end professional program, will be coming to iPad specifically because of the new features in the M4 along with a new version of Procreate which will require the M4 for some of their new features. So is M4 overkill? Sure, it’s overkill for some people just as an M1 is overkill in the MacBook Air for some people. But for others, these advanced processors are essential. If your apps don’t take advantage of these new features, that’s the fault of those app developers. Apple can only provide the APIs and can’t hand hold them.

Here’s the interview if you want to see it yourself:

Wow just wow that video just trashes ipadOS well honestly would like to know what features iPadOS is lacking that most want here.

Reactions: wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I mean I use both devices as complements to eachother. However, from my experience with other people who are less knowledgable about macs, MANY of those people got the impression the iPad Pro was some kind of laptop replacement.

And in the earlier (and even later) years of the iPP the forums were inundated with posts asking “Is the iPad Pro a good laptop replacement for me?”

I think a lot of naive and somewhat tech-illiterate consumers who were hoping for a frugal all in one solution were taken advantage of by this rhetoric honestly…
It didnt help when Apple marketed the iPad as a "Computer".

It helped sales but maybe wasnt the brightest thing to do and came back to bite them.

They weren't wrong entirely... iPads can do a lot of computing.
They just do it differently and not all things you can do on a general purpose computer.
Corporate devices that IT departments control are much the same: limited by outside forces on what you can install and run.

Reactions: GooseInTheCaboose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.