Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Actually, it crossed my mind to actually bookmark all of their “that’s not happening” comments in order to quote them on May 7th.
Why? We are doing a guessing game and sometimes we are wrong. I agree that the motivation for the "not happening" has been poor and the logic behind the opinion is more interesting than the opinion itself.

M3 or M4, it feels like a luxury problem and therefore I think marketing and product placement will be the decisive factor.

Let´s see if Apple is generous and give us an M4 in the Pro and an M3 in the Air. Both would make sense because I think the Air would be good for gaming and therefore HW ray tracing provided by the M3. Personally I would have used M4 in both to maximise the AI hype train.

By the way, don´t listen to me because I never thought Apple would kill the 27-inch iMac ;)
As iPadified said earlier this month "Falling stock prices due to slow AI adoption is a strong motivator for rapid and unpredicatble improvements."
I took a short form of MBA in the last two years and therefore see the world differently today.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Why? We are doing a guessing game and sometimes we are wrong. I agree that the motivation for the "not happening" has been poor and the logic behind the opinion is more interesting than the opinion itself.

M3 or M4, it feels like a luxury problem and therefore I think marketing and product placement will be the decisive factor.

Let´s see if Apple is generous and give us an M4 in the Pro and an M3 in the Air. Both would make sense because I think the Air would be good for gaming and therefore HW ray tracing provided by the M3. Personally I would have used M4 in both to maximise the AI hype train.

By the way, don´t listen to me because I never thought Apple would kill the 27-inch iMac ;)

I took a short form of MBA in the last two years and therefore see the world differently today.
Yeah some very good insights ;) IIRC you are a university teacher, right? Don't remember exactly of what, maths maybe?

Anyway, I am skeptikal that M3 comes to the air (although at this point eveything is possible), I think it would be a good opportunitly for Apple to differential the air and the pro. There have been to many "M2 vs M1 doesn't make much difference little point in getting the pro" etc. but we'll see.
Also I am curisous to see what AI features will come to the M1/M2. After all Samsung took their AI features to the S24 first, but now it has moved them down to the S23 and some of them are going to the S22 too..

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If Apple is not going to update the iPad Pro lineup again until 2025 or even 2026, then yeah, would make sense to give it the M4 now so it keeps up with AI for the coming months/years.

Reactions: xxray and mebehere

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The apology crowd is already in trying to wash their hands off their initial rude remarks born out of nothing jut guesses. It will soon be followed by an Alex post about why either the m4 is going to break the product or why everyone should be upset about a missing feature or something of that sort.

• Haha
Reactions: Gelam and harold.ji

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah some very good insights ;) IIRC you are a university teacher, right? Don't remember exactly of what, maths maybe?

Anyway, I am skeptikal that M3 comes to the air (although at this point eveything is possible), I think it would be a good opportunitly for Apple to differential the air and the pro. There have been to many "M2 vs M1 doesn't make much difference little point in getting the pro" etc. but we'll see.
Also I am curisous to see what AI features will come to the M1/M2. After all Samsung took their AI features to the S24 first, but now it has moved them down to the S23 and some of them are going to the S22 too..
University teacher, yes, but speciality: genetics engineering, tissue engineering, organ on a chip (no silicon there but lots of silicone) but before Uni (30 years ago), I did programming on mainly PC.

The AI features will be interesting. However, it is difficult to see what AI will give in real value (that MBA is speaking again). I would love that the AI did my travelling expense, make a research budget and lots of other admin stuff, but not yet apparently. Maybe an M10 can help me with that? The good thing with AI is that I can raise the bar of teaching and learning so move away from teaching simple knowledge to teaching complex cross disciplinary problems.

I think the differentiator will be onboard vs "normal" AI but I have no clue about the benefits of "onboard" yet.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
What if it turns out they're releasing only the Air in May and delaying the launch of the Pro until October :oops:

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Zero chances of M4, zero. M4 is coming either in Autumn or next year, iPad pro is coming in May, regardless of what these codes mean
Didn’t age too well, with Ming and German alluding to this very fact. AI is Apple‘s focus and M4 will have the neural cores to support. Zero chance that Apple will ignore this road map and just install an M3 in upcoming IPP.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Didn’t age too well, with Ming and German alluding to this very fact. AI is Apple‘s focus and M4 will have the neural cores to support. Zero chance that Apple will ignore this road map and just install an M3 in upcoming IPP.

Ya'll putting a lot of faith in rumors, when they are wrong 90 percent of the time.

To the internet...

The M4 chip line will reportedly come in three main flavors: an entry-level version called Donan, more powerful models named Brava and a higher-end chip codenamed Hidra. Apple reportedly plans to highlight the AI processing capabilities of the new chips and how they'll integrate with the upcoming version of macOS.

No way in heck they put an M4 in an iPad before a Mac. There's no evidence the M4 is even available yet, let alone in quantities to mass produce for a product.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Chuckeee and Gelam

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Ya'll putting a lot of faith in rumors, when they are wrong 90 percent of the time.

To the internet...

The M4 chip line will reportedly come in three main flavors: an entry-level version called Donan, more powerful models named Brava and a higher-end chip codenamed Hidra. Apple reportedly plans to highlight the AI processing capabilities of the new chips and how they'll integrate with the upcoming version of macOS.

No way in heck they put an M4 in an iPad before a Mac. There's no evidence the M4 is even available yet, let alone in quantities to mass produce for a product.

We shall see.

Reactions: Gelam

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

To the internet...

There's a decent amount of evidence supporting the contrary. We'll know for sure in eight days!

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
I don't think upcoming iPad Pro will use M4. Let's see in a few days...I actually think the leaked code might be disguise from successor of AVP.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
We just started getting over the delay, and then Gurman has to stir the pot with this far fetched theory, so we can all be disappointed on launch day.

But then again, this is a rumors site, and disappointment is expected

Reactions: Chuckeee

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Calm down people, the ipad pro is coming with m2 for now, after the event we will see
Until nothing is official Gurman is saying that is a possibility so thats 50-50
When Gurman is saying “ive been told” then its 100%

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
This has as much creditability as Gurman statements. Unless the source is creditable (Apple), it is just a speculation. Fine, we are here for speculation. Does it make sense to put M4 in an Air before the iPad Pro? I cannot think of any good arguments for that or arguments to put M4 in iPad before the Mac.

I can see the value for Apple to have a device to showcase their take on AI at WWDC and I hope it is more than LLM and a workable Siri. Which device it is does not matter for Wall Street as long as Apple sends a strong message regarding AI.

What sends a stronger message to the market? A prototype Mac running M4 or an iPad you can buy with an M4? I think the latter. The fact that Macs will get an M4 upgrade already after a year suggests that Apple is in a hurry and it is not to position Mac before the iPad but to position themselves as market leaders regarding implementation of usable AI.

erikkfi

Suspended
May 19, 2017
The apology crowd is already in trying to wash their hands off their initial rude remarks born out of nothing jut guesses. It will soon be followed by an Alex post about why either the m4 is going to break the product or why everyone should be upset about a missing feature or something of that sort.
Don’t forget “there’s no point if iPads can’t run macOS.”

Reactions: ericwn

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
Well I guess that at this point everything is possible. As iPadified said earlier this month "Falling stock prices due to slow AI adoption is a strong motivator for rapid and unpredicatble improvements." I guess that's an example of it... They are going big on AI with i(Pad)Os 18 and apparently M1/2/3 neural engines will not be able to support some important new features so they may be doing some unprecedented moves in order to avoid hardware sales suffering from it.
Makes me wonder what is after M4 rapid deployment then? Sales will go back down after this special year. Maintaining high sales every year feels really hard.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
I certainly stand by what I said with the knowledge we had at that moment, based on history and rumors. But apparently the AI train will leave older M-series chips behind, including the M3, so Apple may be making an unprecedented move to avoid hardware sales suffering from this.
We don't know how desirable these AI features will be (for now we have some example with what Samsung and Google are doing, hopefully Apple can do all those things or more on device). But this also shows to those who invested in very expensive 16GB RAM M1/M2 iPads etc in order to keep them for 7+ years, that the future-proofing practice is pretty hard to do, and sometimes it's actually best to spend less and upgrade more regularly...
I can feel that. Certainly was planning on buying the M2 with 16gb of ram to future proof. But waited for M3/M4 instead. But I also still plan on getting at least 16gb of ram on this iPad to future proof. But then there might be a super awesome new feature on the next M5 iPad. :p

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021

Can you tell us about what you learnt in the MBA (MacBook Air?). Joking that must have been Masters of business administration?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.