Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Not good for Mac sales. Why should anyone buy an outdated M3 Mac after the M4 is available.
You dont have any M4 on macs...so, yes people already know the M4 family comes this fall for macs...so ipads will just show what base M4 is capable for upcoming mac mini, macbook airs

Last edited:
Reactions: iPadified and xxray

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
If it gets the M4 it will be a big generation after generation improvement
-new display tech
-M4 with AI focus
-new chassis
-if the new ipadOS is also a big improvement then this ipad will be a big step and indeed will boost the ipad sales especially if the budget ipad can do some of the AI

Reactions: AlexMac89

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
We could entertain the possibility that it'll be the M3X or something, i.e. an M3 that they've retrofitted with the AI stuff.
Yeah, I've been saying that here and there. I think they're done with the "X" branding but I was thinking an M3 Plus to go along with M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max. Plus would have more neural engine cores and be between the M3 and Pro.

Reactions: nj-morris

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
We are not talking iPhone sales here, so it is probably too expensive to make an additional chip. It would be more rational to put in a M4 and put a sticker on it saying "M3Z" to placate a minority of people. An NPU upgrade of M3 would likely be very similar to a M4 anyway because the CPU/GPU performance is more than enough. Not giving the iPad Pro the new AI capabilities at this stage would be unwise.
Not good for Mac sales. Why should anyone buy an outdated M3 Mac after the M4 is available.
Do not think so: people usually understand the difference between a Mac and an iPad.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
We are not talking iPhone sales here, so it is probably too expensive to make an additional chip. It would be more rational to put in a M4 and put a sticker on it saying "M3Z" to placate a minority of people. An NPU upgrade of M3 would likely be very similar to a M4 anyway because the CPU/GPU performance is more than enough. Not giving the iPad Pro the new AI capabilities at this stage would be unwise.

Do not think so: people usually understand the difference between a Mac and an iPad.
People also understand that M3 is less capable than M4 “which does AI” and would wait with their purchase until it got the latest SOC too “which does AI”.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
M4 Chip
12GB LPDDR5X RAM
WiFi 7
Dual Layer QD-OLED with VRR

Yup I take my pledge back. I’ll definitely get a new 11” iPad Pro.
I am doubtful about 12GB being the new baseline but if it happens it will be great news for the Mac (less so for the iPad as it is now, but still a nice bonus)

Reactions: Isengardtom

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023

I wonder though how big "AI"-enchancements we expect they can do on these chips that are supposed to draw about 5 to 20watts in total.

It's not like they're going to be able to run LLM "chatgpt-level" on a phone all of a sudden. Making a slightly bigger NPU shouldn't really get us there. Picture generation sure to a degree but the M1 can do that too.

In the end I think they will serve us like two "nifty AI features" on-device and the rational mind will wonder why they don't off-load those to the cloud for the rest of all their devices that couldn't do it locally.

Reactions: iPadified

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
In the end I think they will serve us like two "nifty AI features" on-device and the rational mind will wonder why they don't off-load those to the cloud for the rest of all their devices that couldn't do it locally.
Well, I don’t think Apple will announce any on-device “AI features” come May 7th… having M4 chip on the iPad is more of them thinking ahead and marketing hype (imo).

We certainly going to get all the charts and stuff… showing how much of a performance increase it has over previous generations. But all the AI features (as Apple called it machine learning all these years) will be revealed next month at WWDC and honestly believe there won’t be any AI features locked behind the M4 chip.

They position the new M3 Macbook Airs as the “world’s best consumer laptop for AI” but there’s no specific AI features announced for them. For Apple, it’s always been features locked behind hardware… e.g. dual displays on M3 MacBook Air.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
If it gets the M4 it will be a big generation after generation improvement
-new display tech
-M4 with AI focus
-new chassis
-if the new ipadOS is also a big improvement then this ipad will be a big step and indeed will boost the ipad sales especially if the budget ipad can do some of the AI
The first 3 bullets are moot if the last one doesn't happen imo. The current iPad OS with a new 'snazzy' AI features aren't going to cut it.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I agree. iPads starting at 16GB when Macs are still hobbled with 8GB would be a very strange sight.
I might be wrong, but I believe the RAM management is far better in MacOS than in iPadOS indicating that iPads need more RAM but 16 Gb seems a lot.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I might be wrong, but I believe the RAM management is far better in MacOS than in iPadOS indicating that iPads need more RAM but 16 Gb seems a lot.
Don't agree. Still use my 3GB air for webbrowing, email, imessage, iworks etc while people here are complaining that 8GB isn't even enough for such tasks for macs.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Don't agree. Still use my 3GB air for webbrowing, email, imessage, iworks etc while people here are complaining that 8GB isn't even enough for such tasks for macs.
The 4GB RAM (I believe) on my 2018 Pro is pretty junk. With very few programmes open safari can't keep tabs in memory. It doesn't bother me too much thankfully given my pretty casual use cases.

Reactions: Digitalguy

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Ever played Civ VI which by the way is a port from the desktop version? Then you know. 4Gb is a balance act.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.