Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
What you call “milking” is basically protecting a platform millions of people like, against the wishes of a handful of people who don’t like it. Obviously, since so many people like it, they get some big revenue from it.
this doesn't hurt the platform in any way. it hurts the profitability of the platform, which doesn't affect users like you or me.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Forcing iPad to be more than an iPhone Big Chungus edition by law?

Pardoning iPad from its "What's a computer?" lifetime jail sentence?

For me:

I genuinely might get a new one this year. This is amazing. I know I'm going to love it.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Yesss. It was pretty annoying that the new freedom only applied to iphones and that apple, given the choice, chose to make it ******** and more fragmented for their users as long as they could. It's especially good to have more choices on ipadOS - maybe it helps to realize the potential of the platform better and accelerates the up until now very sluggish rate of innovation. Probably even a good thing for Apple in the end.

Also looking forward to devices getting end-user-replaceable batteries again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tafkaeken

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
On the same day, the Commission opened a market investigation to assess whether Apple's iPadOS, despite not meeting the quantitative thresholds laid down in the DMA

The rule HAS changed or the rules are selective. Which one is it?
The DMA has two alternatives for being designated a gatekeeper.
There is the quantitive threshold for IPhone was hard to dispute for Apple which is why the accepted it from the start.

There is however also a qualitative assessment which European Commission has now done in regards of the IPad.

They here find this:

• Apple's business user numbers exceeded the quantitative threshold elevenfold, while its end user numbers were close to the threshold and are predicted to rise in the near future.
  • End users are locked-in to iPadOS. Apple leverages its large ecosystem to disincentivise end users from switching to other operating systems for tablets.
  • Business users are locked-in to iPadOS because of its large and commercially attractive user base, and its importance for certain use cases, such as gaming apps.

nuff_said

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2021
Or maybe before they decide to just pull out of the EU altogether.
In 2021, Apple generated more than 80 billion dollars in net sales within Europe. This was the latest data I could find without having to open an account or login to websites.
If they pull out of Europe that’s a significant hit to their bottom line and I’m sure shareholders won’t be happy.

Reactions: AND411

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
This is great news for EU iPad users. Can’t wait until the rest of the world catches up. And anyone who wants to only run Apple App Store apps and etc can keep doing it! But the rest of the world should be able to do what they want with devices they paid dearly for - we pay just as much if not more than for a MacBook that will run circles around the iPad due to iPadOS being run by an anticompetitive business model limiting software. And for those who want you can still use your finger for all your input! I will use MacOS or Windows if Apple doesn’t make MacOS available! And run any app I want.

as someone who is in the EU (and for every other million reasons, happy to be in the EU) i wish my ipad wasnt. the freedom in the EU to have to either pay for the privilege of installing another app store (or faff round like its 1990s with my iphone plugged into my mac) just to download an app that americans get for free from the app store. wow.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like I have no power in EU. Who am I supposed to vote for to not have this **** happen?
In an increasingly pro-consumer, pro right-to-repair, anti-planned obsolescence, pro lowering CO2 emissions, etc., etc., aware EU population, I think it'll be close to impossible to find any politician or party promising to lobby against consumer rights and against increasing competition in our consumer electronics and digital markets.

If you find any then I wouldn't expect to see them fighting against your interests openly. It would be one of those "fight for the future billionaire version of yourself that you'll totally become if we lower taxes for the wealthiest now" type of parties.

Do we even have those in the EU?

Your best bets would be to start your own anti consumer rights, pro monopoly grassroots organization or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

henkie

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2023
I feel like I have no power in EU. Who am I supposed to vote for to not have this sh*t happen?
June 6 2024 you can vote. I for one thanking the EU for usbc on the iPhone and indirectly making sure you can now use emulators (yes also in the App Store now, but who are you kidding if you really think Apple would have allowed it otherwise?).

ItsASpider

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2021
lmao just keep changing the rules. yeah sure lets see how this plays out

may as well design your own device, eu
The rules haven't been changed...

In an increasingly pro-consumer, pro right-to-repair, anti-planned obsolescence, pro lowering CO2 emissions, etc., etc., aware EU population, I think it'll be close to impossible to find any politician or party promising to lobby against consumer rights and against increasing competition in our consumer electronics and digital markets.

If you find any then I wouldn't expect to see them fighting against your interests openly. It would be one of those "fight for the future billionaire version of yourself that you'll totally become if we lower taxes for the wealthiest now" type of parties.

Do we even have those in the EU?
We do have those, they just aren't popular, probably primarily because the EU doesn't allow lobbying on the same scale as it happens in the USA. The EUs legislation systems are much more focused on consensus, that in combination with stricter lobbying regulation and campaign financing laws results in EU politics being much less influenced by corporations.

Last edited:

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I don't get why its so hard to understand why some of us wants to install whatever iOS app some developer have written, on the device that we have already paid Apple for. People are talking here as if Apple paid us to use the device.

We paid for the device. We want to do what we want with the device we paid. We like the look and feel of the hardware and the OS, why we bought it. Doesn't mean we want to pay for prison guards to barr us from doing what we want with said hardware and OS.

Its not quantum physics, why is it so hard to understand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.