Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I am not asking for your summation of the comment. The DOJ heard the executive and came to a conclusion. Will you take the opinion of every one of 300 million + population of the USA?
Well in the USA, they have an adversarial system so even if the DOJ have an opinion it’s still needed to be proven in court as it’s not an administrative procedure but emphasis on litigation and court trials to resolve antitrust issues.

There’s no equivalent to the DOJ in EU.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Well in the USA, they have an adversarial system so even if the DOJ have an opinion it’s still needed to be proven in court as it’s not an administrative procedure but emphasis on litigation and court trials to resolve antitrust issues.

As I said earlier, I am not talking about the case. It is about the statement that they have "quoted" in the complaint. It means, it was a statement by some executive/s which they have quoted. I am only talking about the statement that they quoted. In this context, I am not discussing Apple's antitrust case at all. Just the lowly opinion that the Apple executives have about their customers, which is evident from the quote that DOJ put in the complaint. Phew!

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
That is the first good argument in this thread so far. Gotta give it to you. But unfortunately it doesn’t hold much value because iOS is still a Mobile OS and who makes its hardware is immaterial here because we are strictly dealing with the software parts. App downloads don’t depend on the device manufacturer but the OS maker.
My point is that Apple controls both and software isn’t the same as hardware. Apple’s OSs are not open source or free to use by any other entity. If we go by this logic, any device that can be used as “general purpose” would have to make the exact same changes. Next thing you know, Sony and Microsoft will have to open up their OSs for PS and Xbox too.

Think of it like your car manufacturer deciding that you can only use tyres of stock brand otherwise the warranty is void. They can restrict the dimensions but not who makes the tyre. Similarly an OS can not and should not gatekeep especially when it is so omnipresent.
Physical parts are a different story and even Apple has been forced to make that easier for people, with which I agree. You still have to take your vehicle in for anything software related. The manufacturer still controls that and tbf no one else should…

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022

They don’t want a DOJ in EU otherwise 80% of politicians would be arrested for taking bribes and laundering Russia and China’s dirty money and helping criminals buy up massive amounts of residential properties across the continent and leaving many of them empty.

The reason these people have forced Apple to weaken security of iOS and now iPadOS is because pig butchering scams rely on tricking victims to sideload malware apps and third party payment apps.

Those pig butchering scams were relegated to Android users. They now have the potential of targeting the iPhone users too, increasing the profits even further from $5 billion a year to almost double.

Which corrupt political class would not want a slice of that pie and help launder the money into the property markets? The EU was always about having a borderless market for capitalism, which can only mean more corruption.

The whole of EU will have Alice Guo type leaders. Just puppets laundering money and selling their countries to criminals. Remember Marine Le Pen begging Putin for cash? Don’t need to do that anymore when Asian scam centers have plenty of cash to give you. Macron was photographed kissing up to CZ of Binonce who is now in jail in US for laundering.

Last edited:
Reactions: strongy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.