Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edx09

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024
Unpopular opinion: I’ve always bought a pro model, but the Plus one in the picture looks so much cooler from the back that I would buy it instead. I am not going to upgrade, however.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Looking at the photo, - is that Space Black again instead of Space Grey. I do hope Space Black is here to stay.
I am still on my 14 Pro and very happy so far. Nice to know, new features are coming.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Same 'ol, same 'ol
Overpriced, oversized and uninspired

Tim Cook needs to be on the clock and be shown the door

No wonder sales on iPhones are stalling out in key places like China
Clearly not "oversized" when it is the sizes everyone actually purchases. The stupid little mini models are gone because no one bought them. The sizes are perfect for what the demand is.

rxp

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2018
Back in the day in 2012, I bought a Nexus 7, a 7" tablet. The iPhone 16 Pro Max I will likely purchase this year will be 6.9". The aspect ratio is different, but nonetheless, the iPhone will be roughly 4/5ths the screen area of that Nexus 7.

I was going to mention i got a Samsung 7 inch tablet and it could make phone calls. People used to take the piss pretending to make calls on a tablet to ridicule how dumb it was.

I want a thin and light phone personally. But i get it, everyone is addicted to devices and battery life trumps size

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Unfortunately the battery life on that would probably be wretched with ProMotion. That was the main driver for me going from the 13 Mini to the 15 Pro. I could kill like 20% of the battery life on my 1.5 year-old Mini in an hour train ride. It had mediocre battery life right when I got it, and it went down from there. Still a great little device, but it didn't suit my usage very well.

Off topic, but I wish the phone carriers would let you seamlessly switch between devices on the fly, because I'd definitely use a smaller iPhone as a "going out for a few hours" device that's lighter in the pocket.
Yeah, battery life was not great. I was more making the point that I would take an older and smaller phone with just two modern features added, over a 4-years-newer “pro” model which is slightly bigger than current models.

Agree 100% on being able to switch iPhones as needed. I’d totally keep a mini for this purpose.

Reactions: ignatius345

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
Guessing it will be tricky to make a nice case to the regular model as the flash is located in an odd position and not in the camera cluster.
That really bugs me. I wish it was like the iPhone X where the flash was in the oval. Probably wouldn’t work with the lenses jutting out further than the island, but I liked the way the lenses fit through cases without leaving this weird naked gap on the back. The 11 Pro and up square kinda did this, but not as cleanly as the X’s oval

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
If people actually bought them they'd still offer it. No demand, no supply.

Always one guy on the inside, knowing exact sale data for all these phone, which Apple otherwise keeps to themselves. I did not even mention bringing back a Mini and guys like this come out of the woodwork to claim nobody bought them like some sort of expert, I guess I am nobody. Would just be nice to have a slightly larger range of screen sizes since that is clearly what they are going for, something that does not require two hands, or can fit in small pockets, would be nice.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Seems weird to me that they’re all so close in size but all a different size

The Tim Cook Special…
A “SKU-fest”

Just buy something… anything…
They don’t care about any sort of customer centric lineup..

They just crank out a bunch of mostly similar confusion and hope you get exhausted on choice and buy something…anything..

…and sign up for Apple One
This is now a fully, and only, share price driven operation.

Tim has fully “de-Steve'd” the company

• Sad
Reactions: gusmula and Dj64Mk7

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Agree 100% on being able to switch iPhones as needed. I’d totally keep a mini for this purpose.
I have an old SE 1st generation that would totally serve this purpose. I don't quite have the courage to use it as my only phone but it's really neat to see a functional iPhone that "small" at this point.

d-klumpp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
I don't mean to attack the messenger, but...

I'm surprised that the original post on which this article is based, purporting to show size differences, did not take just one moment to align the array of phones properly for comparison. As a result, the scribbled numbers are the only informative element of the photo.

Reactions: ivantheipodder

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
6.3 looks like the sweet spot
I hope the SE is like a iPhone 13 mini in size. Basically mini reborn. It’s the perfect size for a phone for normal use.
I think a 5.8” screen would do better than the old mini did, especially if the future of the regular iPhone is 6.3”. Would have better battery life and a more comfortable keyboard.

I think part of what hurt mini sales is also the name mini. They should get rid of the branding and just label them by screen size, like the Apple watch. 3 size choices would be great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.