Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewskeeh

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2022
right? that does not seem to be thought through. I don't understand why they removed the protrude (?) square unless they just wanted to make a change for the hell of making a change
I think it's because they don't want people to be able to stick on a fake 3rd camera to make their non-Pro iPhone look like a Pro, like what was possible with the 11 and 12

• Haha
Reactions: Bigg Macc and BigDO

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Honestly, these screen size increases are frustrating. It seems my 13 mini will have to hang on for a couple of more years if not longer. It works perfectly fine anyway, its just frustrating to see this stupid trend of huge screens.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
This is probably the best explanation I've heard for the vertical camera redesign... it didn't really make sense otherwise, unless it was Apple's idea of changing things up slightly just so they could say "look, we made massive changes from the iPhone 15, as you can see, we moved one of the lenses around!" 🤔
Not really a rumor is it? It is obviously for 3D imaging. And at some point (just like portrait photography) it will be the default setting. ‘Your grand children will enjoy the 3D images you took back in the day.’
‘They already had 3D back then? Yes! And it was invented by Apple!’ 😉

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
I guess I'll be going 6.3" for my next pro max upgrade. 6.9" to my eye looks astronomically larger than 6.7". So disappointing to have to give up battery and better cameras because I refuse to have a Nintendo Switch OLED sized phone.

Reactions: Qubelek

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Unfortunately the battery life on that would probably be wretched with ProMotion. That was the main driver for me going from the 13 Mini to the 15 Pro. I could kill like 20% of the battery life on my 1.5 year-old Mini in an hour train ride. It had mediocre battery life right when I got it, and it went down from there. Still a great little device, but it didn't suit my usage very well.

Off topic, but I wish the phone carriers would let you seamlessly switch between devices on the fly, because I'd definitely use a smaller iPhone as a "going out for a few hours" device that's lighter in the pocket.
ProMotion uses less battery than a 60Hz screen for general usage

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
after all these years and nobody seems to care you can't set the phone on a table and type without rocking the phone? Put the cameras in the center...
I'm still clutching my original iPhone SE (2016) for that very reason, plus the stupid placement of the side/Siri/sleep button directly across from the landscape camera shutter. I traded my iPhone 6 and paid cash for the SE as fast as I could.

It's the last best iPhone design they ever made. Squared edges I can grip, lays flat, stands horizontally on the SIM tray side or vertically. I use all those orientations for photos. Takes 4k video if I want it (I don't). Low light is tough, I admit. However, it fits comfortably in my pocket.

Had the 12 mini or 13 mini fixed those two items, I'd have bought one of the two on their launch day. Nope. Still holding out. I don't want a case, because I don't need a case. I don't fall victim to the mental abuse psychology of case manufacturers. They try to trick you into thinking you're more stupid than you really are, then say they're the only ones who can help you. My 2016 SE only has wear and tear scuffs, not dings and scratches, and the rose gold is quite beautiful.

Yep, I'm maxed out on iOS software, too. My Apple Watch is effectively dead (series 3, with hairline fracture around the screen so it no longer responds to touch input). However. "No new iPhone means no new Watch."

Surely Apple's iCloud server side stats can see what device I have. Perhaps no one is paying any attention to the "4% - Other" category.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I have no gripes with a larger iphone, as i have no tablet, and only use a 16” macbook pro. I prefer the larger screen to make up for no tablet, i do miss my ipad mini though. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Hkfan45

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
How many years has Apple had to fix the ugly back on the iPhone?

Still has the goofy 3 lens layout, with the pointless glass surrounding the camera, which then sticks out from the rest of the phone. It can't be hard to make the camera lenses flush with the back of the phone, right? Whoever is doing the designing should be canned.

Considered upgrading early to the iPhone 16 Pro from my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Might consider a Galaxy S24 Ultra now - especially when RCS becomes available across platforms. The design of the S24, plus the AMOLED screen, the size, and the camera are much better than what Apple will probably release in September.

Only thing keeping Apple afloat with the iPhone at this point is iOS - the entire design of iPhone sucks, and has for about 5 years now. Get rid of the MBA accountant and get someone in the door that lives and breathes technology.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and Hkfan45

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
How many years has Apple had to fix the ugly back on the iPhone?

Still has the goofy 3 lens layout, with the pointless glass surrounding the camera, which then sticks out from the rest of the phone. It can't be hard to make the camera lenses flush with the back of the phone, right? Whoever is doing the designing should be canned.

Considered upgrading early to the iPhone 16 Pro from my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Might consider a Galaxy S24 Ultra now - especially when RCS becomes available across platforms. The design of the S24, plus the AMOLED screen, the size, and the camera are much better than what Apple will probably release in September.

Only thing keeping Apple afloat with the iPhone at this point is iOS - the entire design of iPhone sucks, and has for about 5 years now. Get rid of the MBA accountant and get someone in the door that lives and breathes technology.
For me it’s the software not the hardware that holds back the phone. iOS needs a massive revamp that allows “pros” to better utilize the phone’s hardware.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
For me it’s the software not the hardware that holds back the phone. iOS needs a massive revamp that allows “pros” to better utilize the phone’s hardware.
Android keyboards stink. App Store needs have more quality apps. An actual functioning messaging app needs to appear on MacOS/Windows.

If Google fixed the keyboard to work as well as iOS's, and comes out with a quality cross-platform messaging app, I'm out for good.

• Haha
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
ProMotion uses less battery than a 60Hz screen for general usage
I don't understand how that could be true. The screen is refreshing 2x as frequently.

Also, why does Low Power Mode disable ProMotion on iPhones equipped with it?

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I wish they’d make the pros thinner and lighter. They are the size and weight of a brick.

It is astonishing to me holding an iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 Pro at the same time. Same outside dimensions, dramatically different weight.

But, the 13 Pro is noticeably far better in display and camera. Will be very interested to see the new Pro model. They must realize the weight is a problem, but I don't know what they could really do about it. Density is always going to be an issue. It's why there's no Pro Mini.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
I don't understand how that could be true. The screen is refreshing 2x as frequently.

Also, why does Low Power Mode disable ProMotion on iPhones equipped with it?
ProMotion allows for refresh rates lower for 60Hz. It’s not fixed at 120Hz.

When Low Power Mode is enabled, the highest refresh rate is capped at 60Hz but remains variable.

The iPhone 13 Pro has longer battery life than the iPhone 13, despite having a smaller battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.