Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i think it's gonna be Rogers
since it's an AT&T company

but i'm guessing it won't come out till the same time Europe release

hopefully it comes out sooner thought
and hopefully it won't be super expensive im on rogers plan already so shouldn't be too bad

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
i think it's gonna be Rogers
since it's an AT&T company

but i'm guessing it won't come out till the same time Europe release

hopefully it comes out sooner thought
and hopefully it won't be super expensive im on rogers plan already so shouldn't be too bad

Rogers is not AT&T company, they used to run their mobile network (TDMA days) in partnership before Rogers bought out AT&T (original one). But since Rogers is only GSM provider in Canada and iPhone is GSM phone, it will be on Rogers network when it comes to Canada, 3-4 years from now :D

Or Apple can offer something really revolutionary for North America mobile market and start selling unlocked iPhone without forcing tie-in with any network operator (Rogers, Cingular). Something that SonyEricsson already does.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Rogers is not AT&T company, they used to run their mobile network (TDMA days) in partnership before Rogers bought out AT&T (original one). But since Rogers is only GSM provider in Canada and iPhone is GSM phone, it will be on Rogers network when it comes to Canada, 3-4 years from now :D

Or Apple can offer something really revolutionary for North America mobile market and start selling unlocked iPhone without forcing tie-in with any network operator (Rogers, Cingular). Something that SonyEricsson already does.
If Rogers is the only GSM provider in Canada and the iPhone is GSM, why be concerned about being tied to Rogers' network? Or do you think there will be other networks with GSM soon?

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
If Rogers is the only GSM provider in Canada and the iPhone is GSM, why be concerned about being tied to Rogers' network? Or do you think there will be other networks with GSM soon?

Because I would like to put another SIM when I go somewhere outside Canada. Every time I go to Europe, I just buy local prepaid SIM for 10-20 CAD equivalent and get local number so no roaming charges, no international long distance for people there who want to call me.

Much cheaper than paying 3 CAD/minute for roaming :)

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I've heard the market is so small here that it won't even be released here.

I argued that the ROKR was released here, and I think it will get here some day, maybe christmas next year....
No its coming. I saw an add for it on the Metro. Something about iPhone coming in June on Rogers. Not exactly sure... it was in french. But its definetely.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
don't worry. i won't buy it until they release the nano version of it.
i already have a ipod and a cellphone :mad:

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
When the iPhone comes to Canada, it'll be either Rogers or Fido, but it doesn't really matter because after the buyout from rogers, both are the same CRAP network.

Kaibot

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2007
It is going to be Rogers, and it will be sometime in the 4th quarter of '07

Edit: I'm sure you will be able to find it on eBay a little after it's released, or maybe I could get my mom to send one up to me from the US.:)

Ethier way if you have a sim card it doesn't really matter, just put it in and you're set. I am hoping they come out with models that have a bit more storage before I am too temped and get one.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Here's an article I found

Rogers: iPhone coming to Canada. The article seems to get it's info from this blog post.

• 2 or 3 year contract (3 year contract lowers initial cost of iPhone)
  • Must be linked to a data plan on the EDGE network
  • "the company has historically offered smartphones to Canadians between six to eight months after the devices' release in the US" (i.e. late 2007 or early 2008)
  • Bell & Tellus support unlikely since they don't have CDMA support

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
It is going to be Rogers, and it will be sometime in the 4th quarter of '07

Edit: I'm sure you will be able to find it on eBay a little after it's released, or maybe I could get my mom to send one up to me from the US.:)

Ethier way if you have a sim card it doesn't really matter, just put it in and you're set. I am hoping they come out with models that have a bit more storage before I am too temped and get one.

Errr... it's a "locked" phone.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Something else Canadians should be interested in....if the screen only responds to the touch of skin...what happens when you are outdoors in freezing temperatures? Not convinient to take off your gloves to dial. Specially in an emergency :confused:

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Something else Canadians should be interested in....if the screen only responds to the touch of skin...what happens when you are outdoors in freezing temperatures? Not convinient to take off your gloves to dial. Specially in an emergency :confused:

Last phone I saw with keys big enough to dial with winter gloves on was my Nokia brick.

Its voice dial or nothing when you're outside.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Last phone I saw with keys big enough to dial with winter gloves on was my Nokia brick.

I have a Nokia 6600 and usually navigate to a number in my recents list with the thumb stick. I can do that just fine with gloves on :) Unless they are like ski gloves I can also dial the numbers.

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006

I think living in Vancouver, you won't need to wear winter gloves (except this year). :p

DigitalN.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
Some of us living a little farther up north, need to wear the big winter gloves or we end up not having fingers left. So if the iPhone does not have voice dialing like my Moto V265 has, I am not getting one.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
the iphone's size is too bulky for me. plus it dont vibrate. if the LG KE850 PRADA were to have quad band i probably will go for it instead

Okay, all other arguments I can understand, but the one I really don't get is the complaint that it's too large --

How do you fit a 3.5" screen into a smaller package?

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Okay, all other arguments I can understand, but the one I really don't get is the complaint that it's too large --

How do you fit a 3.5" screen into a smaller package?

make it sized 98.8 x 54 x 12 mm like the Prada does :)
how do you think they fit the screen in the ipod nano? that's right, they made it 1.5"

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
make it sized 98.8 x 54 x 12 mm like the Prada does :)
how do you think they fit the screen in the ipod nano? that's right, they made it 1.5"

But you don't surf the web or read email on a nano!

My point is more this: For what the iPhone is supposed to do, you really don't want the screen any smaller. If you want it smaller, then what you really want isn't an iPhone.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Rogers: iPhone coming to Canada. The article seems to get it's info from this blog post.

• [*] 2 or 3 year contract (3 year contract lowers initial cost of iPhone)
  • Must be linked to a data plan on the EDGE network
  • "the company has historically offered smartphones to Canadians between six to eight months after the devices' release in the US" (i.e. late 2007 or early 2008)
  • Bell & Tellus support unlikely since they don't have CDMA support

From what my friend told me (who works at Rogers - not retail, like head office) Apple would not allow Rogers to subsidize the cost of the phone. So, they couldn't sell the phone for cheaper if you sign a longer contract BUT they might offer discounts on the monthly service charges if you sign a longer contract.. not sure exactly how that works, but that's what they've said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.