Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
But you don't surf the web or read email on a nano!

My point is more this: For what the iPhone is supposed to do, you really don't want the screen any smaller. If you want it smaller, then what you really want isn't an iPhone.

exactly my friend :)
like i said, i didn't want the iphone cause i already have a cellphone and a 5.5g ipod.
i want the scaled down version of the iphone only :D just like the ipod nano was the scaled down version of the ipod.

my point is, not everybody will (or can) use it (or any "smart phone") to their full potentials. i, for once, only use cellphones for : calling and receiving calls and txt, and alarm clock. and sometimes taking pictures if it has that ability. yes a cellphone to me is just that since many years now :) So i dont mind if some features like surfing web or sending e-mails are stripped down cause i wouldn't use them anyway :)

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
From what my friend told me (who works at Rogers - not retail, like head office) Apple would not allow Rogers to subsidize the cost of the phone. So, they couldn't sell the phone for cheaper if you sign a longer contract BUT they might offer discounts on the monthly service charges if you sign a longer contract.. not sure exactly how that works, but that's what they've said.

That's interesting...hopefully the plans will not be overly expensive (esp. with a longer contract)...

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
From what my friend told me (who works at Rogers - not retail, like head office) Apple would not allow Rogers to subsidize the cost of the phone. So, they couldn't sell the phone for cheaper if you sign a longer contract BUT they might offer discounts on the monthly service charges if you sign a longer contract.. not sure exactly how that works, but that's what they've said.

Same as with Cingular, Apple expects people to buy locked phone and sign for 2-year contract. :confused:
No thanks :mad:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Something else Canadians should be interested in....if the screen only responds to the touch of skin...what happens when you are outdoors in freezing temperatures?

Steve did mention that because the iPhone runs OSX, they could add extra features, like voice dialing into the software at a later date. With the iPhone being nearly 8 months away from release here, it's possible this feature would be added by then.

If not, I'm sure some enterprising third-party developer will create special iPhone gloves with special conductive tips. (or you can make your own, scissors required. :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.