Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
what is a good website for backgrounds, and how do i take a still of mine? like what you guys are posting, do i need a camera?

Thanks

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Phat_Pat said:
Use grab from under the utilties in the applications folder
It's even easier than that, Grab is activated, by default, as a keystroke - Command + Shift + 3 takes a desktop snap sans mouse cursor.

So yeah, here's my January desktop (not posted it yet, heh). It's minimalist, because I took out my 1GB stick of RAM, back to 256. The dock is tiny because I use Quicksilver.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 246

AnewMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2004
The Northern Plains of OK!
My first upload. I hope it works...

My first desktop on macrumors...what a milestone. I just wish there was a smiley that was teary eyed!
Picture of my garden frog statue on a rare sunny day last week.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 187

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
quidire - you can get good results with JPEG's, if you just know the settings to use. people use JPEG's mostly because they can be displayed as thumbnails if you attach them here on the forums. if you use a PDF then you can't see a thumbnail, all you see is that a file is attached. if someone does that with a PDF i usually skip past it...

quidire

macrumors 6502
cb911 said:
quidire - you can get good results with JPEG's, if you just know the settings to use. people use JPEG's mostly because they can be displayed as thumbnails if you attach them here on the forums. if you use a PDF then you can't see a thumbnail, all you see is that a file is attached. if someone does that with a PDF i usually skip past it...

How hard would it be to use ImageMagick or somesuch to create PNG or JPG thumbnails of PDFs?

-RS

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
cb911 said:
well here is mine. i just changed back to Lutetium and found a bunch of nice wallpapers at Veer.com. :)

I've always liked the Veer selections, although they don't update them as frequently as I'd like. They make a good starting point for tinkering around, at least.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
Cless said:
Nice! A lot of good bands in that stack... Air, A Silver Mt. Zion, Radiohead, Massive Attack... you win the thread!

Guess I should post my desktop. Click for hot hot full-size action:

Thanks, I will see what I can come up with in Feb to keep it interesting.

Is that Adium you are using? And if so, how did you get it to look like that? I like how simple it is, very friendly looking. Also, how did you get the dock to stay over to the side like that? I like it, though it might not be as useful for me because I am on an iBook and stuck to 1024x768, but thats a great idea for people with big screens that dont like having it right in the middle or off on one of the sides.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
TrenchMouth said:
Also, how did you get the dock to stay over to the side like that? I like it, though it might not be as useful for me because I am on an iBook and stuck to 1024x768, but thats a great idea for people with big screens that dont like having it right in the middle or off on one of the sides.
If you download TinkerTool, you can make the dock stay in a corner, rather than centered on the edge of the screen. I believe TransparentDock will do it for you too.

Axeon

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Cless said:
Nice! A lot of good bands in that stack... Air, A Silver Mt. Zion, Radiohead, Massive Attack... you win the thread!

Guess I should post my desktop. Click for hot hot full-size action:

What's this application you're using to get your icons lined up on the side?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
dotdotdot said:
How did you get XP to look like that?

And if I need to install something, will I be able to restore my XP settings?
Probably using either StyleXP or the uxtheme.dll patch (google it) and a theme from themexp.org, they've got some pretty nice ones.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Axeon said:
What's this application you're using to get your icons lined up on the side?
If you mean the dock, that's already been answered—TinkerTool. If you mean the icons on my desktop, they're just shown with the text to the right and aligned to a grid. That's under View > Show View Options with all other Finder windows closed (Cmd+J). If you mean the transparent black panel behind them, that's DeskCoverX, useful for helping you read the white text for the icons when you have a light-colored background. It's nicely customizable, you can use colors, add a little border, do gradients or solids... very cool.

And to the other person who asked, yes, it's Adium X, just using the Mockie (small) list layout and a custom color scheme I built by sampling colors off my desktop wallpaper.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
My current desktop.. Bugatti Veyron

It's almost February, but why not end this thread with a beautiful image...

The original is 3520x1200 (23" ACD / 1920x1200 + 21" IBM P260 / 1600x1200@90Hz).

attachment.php

Attachments

• jan05desktop-rodrod.jpg
    jan05desktop-rodrod.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 574
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.