Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced several new AI features that it is building into the Android 15 operating system, giving us some insight into what Apple's iPhone operating system will be competing with later this year.

android-ai.jpg

According to Google, Android has been designed with AI at its core, and Gemini is a foundational part of the Android experience that works at the system level. There is an AI powered search bar that can be used for answering queries and looking up information, and the Circle to Search feature can be used for solving math and physics problems or getting homework help as of today.

Gemini serves as the AI assistant on Android instead of Google Assistant, and the Gemini AI will be able to be brought up as an overlay on any app that's in use. Gemini is context aware and can anticipate what the smartphone user is doing and provide context in the moment. It can create images for texts and social media, or answer questions about a video that's being watched. It can parse PDFs, websites, and other content, providing summaries and translating.

Google is using on-device AI for some features in order to keep sensitive data private, and this is also Apple's plan. Multiple rumors have suggested that many of Apple's first AI features will run on-device rather than through a cloud server.

Gemini Nano, Google's on-device AI, currently does things like generate smart replies in messaging apps and summarize voice memos. Gemini Nano with Multimodality is coming to Pixel phones later this year, enabling new on-device AI features like TalkBack, which can help blind and low-vision users better interpret the world around them. Google is also developing a call screening feature that actively listens to calls and lets users know if it sounds like a scam.

Google today also announced Gemini 1.5 Flash, a lightweight version of its Gemini Pro AI model. Gemini Flash is more efficient, less expensive, and has lower latency, which makes it ideal for large scale rollouts. Google says that Gemini 1.5 Flash is able to deliver "impressive quality" for its size, excelling at summarization, chat applications, image and video captioning, and data extraction from long documents.

Gemini 1.5 Pro has also been improved and it is able to follow increasingly complex and nuanced instructions, including parsing documents up to 1,500 pages long or an hour of video content. Gemini can be interacted with in Google Messages, and Gemini Advanced subscribers will be able to experience a new mobile conversational experience that makes speaking with Gemini more intuitive. Customized versions of Gemini called Gems are also available to subscribers, for personalized assistants that can help with workouts, provide recipes, and more, with specific personalities.

Project Astra, another Google effort, focuses on AI agents that can be helpful in everyday life. Google demoed prototype agents able to identify objects, provide context on information from the camera, and recall a timeline of events for finding a lost item.

Google plans to provide more information on new features coming to Android 15 later this week.

Article Link: Latest Version of Android Has Gemini AI at Its Core

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Google's approach to AI: Roll out to as many users as possible.

Apple's probable approach to AI: New Apple Pencil only works on new iPads, Old pencils will not work on new iPads for no reason effing other than greed.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
It’s funny because Apple is so far behind these features it’s hilarious.

iOS is literally fisher price OS compared to Android with AI.

Photos search, circle to search, Gemini assistant etc are utterly amazing and nothing iOS has right now compares.

But hey, we’re getting another button!

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I watched Google’s Keynote: messy and confusing with all their names, applications and frameworks. Some stuff available now or soon, other stuff seems to be proofs of concept… however, it is impressive what they’re developing. I watched the OpenAI presentation as well yesterday, and they were clearly hinting at an Apple collaboration (watch the realtime Spanish translation video😉).

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Google's on-device AI, currently does things like generate smart replies in messaging apps
Imagine this scenario in the near future:
A) user messages friend,
B) friend's smartphone AI does the reply automatically, embeds query;
C) user's smartphone AI receives the reply, automatically answers the query with another;
D) friend's AI generates another reply but CCs some work group in which both friends belong because it is all work related;
E) all the the work group's smarphones' AI auto-generate replies to everybody;
F) 10 minutes later the entire world communication system is shut down because over 5 Zeta of messages have been generated on the world's 3 billion smartphones.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
It’s funny because Apple is so far behind these features it’s hilarious.

iOS is literally fisher price OS compared to Android with AI.

Photos search, circle to search, Gemini assistant etc are utterly amazing and nothing iOS has right now compares.

But hey, we’re getting another button!
Apple will push out some new stickers and emojis and call it a day. They are getting left in the dust in so many regards anymore.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
How about the knowledge that your OS isn't parsing every piece of info you give it to search for monetisable data?

Isn't that worth anything to you?
You think Apple isn’t doing the same?

I don’t care that Google knows I went for a Chinese dinner or searched for a pair of speedos.

They will still protect important data like my wallet and give me a ridiculous service full of useful AI features.

Apple will just tout privacy to scare those who don’t know any better and give us nothing but a fisher price Siri and a useless island at the top of the screen.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
"Ask This PDF" : I really really really want this feature 🤩

I hope Apple has something comparable. I think this is going to be a game changer in businesses. I can imagine it will be great for lawyers for example, because laws aren't the simplest thing to read. Same for engineering documents or work procedures.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Honestly, I'm just really hyped for WWDC next month; I like to think Apple will finally put some really interesting new features into iOS for the first time in years. :cool:

(unlike WWDC 2023, where they unveiled, uh... the journal app. Or WWDC 2022, where they said you could now unsend messages... exciting stuff, really... 😅)

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
They will still protect important data like my wallet and give me a ridiculous service full of useful AI features.

Apple will just tout privacy to scare those who don’t know any better and give us nothing but a fisher price Siri and a useless island at the top of the screen.
If you don’t know Google is not the leading company in AI. That place goes to openAI.

Compared to Google event today, people were much more impressed with openAI.

I am sure Apple will be fine, they take their time.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Apple is still trying to run the company as they have always done. Total control over the employees. On the other hand Google is giving freedom so that developers can come up with new ideas. I am not saying that everything what Google does is good. But iPhone sells well because of loyal customers. Many years ago iOS was known for the simplicity and ease of use. But now Android has made many people content creators. With free Apps which come with the mobile, Anybody can edit photos and videos and upload in Social Media.

sigmasirrus

macrumors member
May 12, 2022
"Ask This PDF" : I really really really want this feature 🤩

I hope Apple has something comparable. I think this is going to be a game changer in businesses. I can imagine it will be great for lawyers for example, because laws aren't the simplest thing to read. Same for engineering documents or work procedures.
No it’s horrible to use it for that! AI still “makes mistakes”, which is something we’re still not used to computers doing. People are going to rely on AI analysis and make wrong decisions.

We need to use our brains!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.