Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
But this is what's wrong with people, within seconds after a new thing start complaining about it without giving it due time to assess weter it's actually worse or just new.

And I can tell you already that for 99% of you it's just new and you'll get used to it within weeks.

And you know how I know this because every new big IOS update you get these exact threads complaining about everything for the first few weeks and then it dies down because nobody cares. Prime example being the notch.

The problem is it's not better, it's worse. Instead of seeing all my notifications right away I have to do 3 other steps. I tend to get emails, text and app notifications at the same time. It's very easy to not see some of them, especially the ones that are time critical. Its not about not liking new things, this is not better. Like lock screen widgets, why do I need to change my Home Screen wallpaper every time I want to slightly edit a widget, its not better. Since IOS 1-15 you could do one or the other not be forced into doing both, some would call that a step backwards.

Right. Some of us can spot bad design immediately and don't need to give it a month or two to decide. If someone punches you in the face, you don't need to wait a week to know something's wrong. And sure, we can get used to anything, but why should we have to? Why not get used to good design instead?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Those three options (Count, Stack, List) only apply to new notifications as they come in...the ones that display on your Lock Screen without swiping up yet. (Step one or the first screenshot in that post.) They have no effect on how notifications display after they've moved into the Notification Center. This video shows the differences in those options.

The ones that have moved down to the Notification Center (and have to swipe up to see) are controlled by the 'Notification Group' setting for each individual app. So if you want them all separated individually, then you need to turn it off for each app. Here's another video that goes through everything.

Those are great explanations of how it works. It sounds like there are basically two sections that have to be mentally separated and remembered. One is an actual notification that shows on your lockscreen in either Count/Stack/List format. That's the "hey look at me!" part.

But as soon as you unlock/relock your phone, whether you've clicked that notification or not, the system assumes you've seen the notification and made a choice on what to do with it. If you click it, it goes away, as it should. But if you choose to leave it alone, once you relock, the system assumes you don't need to see it "in your face" any more, so it files it "away" in the notification center to follow up on later (where you have to swipe up a second time to see). Edit: at least I think this is how it's working based on that explanation and my usage... still get the occasional inconsistent behavior, it seems.

I think that last section is what is causing people issues, because there are a lot of people that like to leave those notifications on their lockscreen "in your face" so they don't forget about them later. That's the habitual change that a lot of people will likely have to make if this never changes. They'll have to get in the habit of doing that extra swipe-up to check those filed away notifications...

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I think that last section is what is causing people issues, because there are a lot of people that like to leave those notifications on their lockscreen "in your face" so they don't forget about them later. That's the habitual change that a lot of people will likely have to make if this never changes. They'll have to get in the habit of doing that extra swipe-up to check those filed away notifications...
Yep, that's one reason I do it...sometimes I don't have the time to address the reason for the notification right away and it may be on an app that I don't have on my first few screens so wouldn't see the badge either.

Changes should benefit the user experience, not make it more cumbersome or less useful which is the case here. I feel like this is in preparation for live update widgets on the lock screen but again, a small notification indicator should not preclude the live updates from appearing properly (based on previews).

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
I’m not the smartest man alive but i do NOT see any difference at all from the 3 options for notifications. Stack or count do nothing to change From the list from previous iOS. Is there something i am doing wrong? Id like to see the count option at play but no such luck.

Reactions: GlenK and AMTYVLE

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Is anyone else having a hard time dealing with the notifications coming in from the bottom of the lock screen? I keep missing important notifications with them coming in this way and not being displayed fully across the lock screen like they were in iOS 15. I changed the Notification settings to 'Count' so I can at least get a glance of the # of notifications piled up down there...which shows the # most of the time but sometimes doesn't, which hopefully Apple tweaks further in upcoming iOS releases to work consistently. I get what Apple was trying to address here with user complaints of notifications flooding their lock screen in previous iOS versions, but this time with notifications being buried and hidden at the bottom of the lock screen and not seeing them until you swipe up from the bottom (which I'm sure most iPhone users won't realize) this doesn't seem like an effective way of managing notifications either....or maybe I need to change a setting somewhere to address this - didn't see one though.

With the official release of iOS 16 today I'm sure people will bring this up more and more.

Just my take on it. 🤷‍♂️
Apple is so ****ing stupid. “Hey, some users are saying their lockscreen gets full of notifications, let’s hide them for all the rest of the people in the world”

Seriously, what the hell? This is like walking backwards, it’s so unintuitive that it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. Who is in charge of iOS? They should have been fired a long time ago

Reactions: TonyC28 and AMTYVLE

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I’m not the smartest man alive but i do NOT see any difference at all from the 3 options for notifications. Stack or count do nothing to change From the list from previous iOS. Is there something i am doing wrong? Id like to see the count option at play but no such luck.
Check out my previous post. There are a couple videos that explain it all. Basically, those 3 options only apply to new notifications as they come in on the Lock Screen...not the Notification Center itself.

Reactions: mtulman1

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Check out my previous post. There are a couple videos that explain it all. Basically, those 3 options only apply to new notifications as they come in on the Lock Screen...not the Notification Center itself.

This concept would've been pretty easy to explain (or maybe I missed it - didn't see every second) at their presentation. Would've helped curb some of this pushback IMO.

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
This was helpful, thank you!

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
I noticed that swiping from the right edge of the screen no longer opens the camera reliably if there are stacked notifications present. If the count of notifications is displayed or if the list is displayed, it works reliably. Sort of lame.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Those three options (Count, Stack, List) only apply to new notifications as they come in...the ones that display on your Lock Screen without swiping up yet. (Step one or the first screenshot in that post.) They have no effect on how notifications display after they've moved into the Notification Center. This video shows the differences in those options.

The ones that have moved down to the Notification Center (and have to swipe up to see) are controlled by the 'Notification Group' setting for each individual app. So if you want them all separated individually, then you need to turn it off for each app. Here's another video that goes through everything.

The videos that you attached were very helpful, thanks

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I love how angry everybody here gets when you suggest that maybe this strong reaction you all are having is because of the change itself and not the specific place of the notifications.

See you all in a few weeks, oh wait I won't because you all will have forgotten this was an issue for you.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
I love how angry everybody here gets when you suggest that maybe this strong reaction you all are having is because of the change itself and not the specific place of the notifications.

See you all in a few weeks, oh wait I won't because you all will have forgotten this was an issue for you.
First impressions are right most of the time. Apple is dumb, seems like they don’t even use their phones

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I'm testing another possibility as far as Medication is concerned , I turned on Persistant banner for them (As I had done with Reminders) so they would not go away before being dealt with. Will see how that works out tomorrow ;-))

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH

We get it, you like or don’t care about the change…move along and find another thread to troll.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Personally the way to fix this would be to:

1 - Put a persistent notification count at the bottom of the screen
2 - Expand notifications when swiping down for the Notification Centre

I'm also forgetting notifications with them timing out and then just disappearing out of view, until I then swipe up and realise there's loads of notifications hiding down there!

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
I have the exact same problem.

In iOS 15:
- only new notifications was shown on LockScreen (but you can open the Notification Center via an additional swipe up from an empty area of the screen);
- if your Pull Down from Home Screen, Notification Center was always visible, so you saw your Recents *AND* Old Notifications (and "distributed silently" notifications).

In iOS 16:
- both the LockScreen and the "Pull Down from Home Screen" have the same behavior: Notification Center is ALWAYS hidden, and makes it so easy to miss notifications that now, I'm ALWAYS doing an extra "Swipe Up from empty area" to be SURE that I have not miss something.

This is utterly bad UX.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

Keep trollin' my friend, keep trollin'.

Oh yeah, and enjoy your life of complacency. ;)

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I’m not him/her, but for me, I switched to List because I was told it’s most like the old way. It is not. Plus, you can choose List, but if you have several notifications, the bottom will still look like Stack. It’s so lame.
What do your pronouns have to do with the notification feature?

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
I have the exact same problem.

In iOS 15:
- only new notifications was shown on LockScreen (but you can open the Notification Center via an additional swipe up from an empty area of the screen);
- if your Pull Down from Home Screen, Notification Center was always visible, so you saw your Recents *AND* Old Notifications (and "distributed silently" notifications).

In iOS 16:
- both the LockScreen and the "Pull Down from Home Screen" have the same behavior: Notification Center is ALWAYS hidden, and makes it so easy to miss notifications that now, I'm ALWAYS doing an extra "Swipe Up from empty area" to be SURE that I have not miss something.

This is utterly bad UX.
Someone suggested this on Reddit, I didn't try it for now, but it seems like an unknown tip to test:
Turning off ALL Notification Center options in Settings -> Notifications -> <Apps>.

It seems that after this, all notifications will be always visible. It's terrible because it means that after each installation of a new App, I will need to go to Settings but... Apple did this.

I will test this when work finished, but if somebody has the time...

Edit: Seems to be a troll, this will just completely lost your notification after the first unlock...

Last edited:

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Huh? I didn’t know if the commenter was male or female, so I said him/her.

eta: maybe you didn’t get the context. I wasn’t saying I’M him/her, I was replying to a question asked of someone else.

Your humour sensor is out of batteries.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
In iOS 16:

This is what needs fixing and it's an easy one. Just have a counter on the bottom if you have hidden notifications and ALWAYS have it expand when you drag down for Notification Centre.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Music player I guess can be called notification… so :)

Does this music control panel has to wiggle like that when switching from album + panel to just control panel?

Used YouTube Music but works the same for YouTube and I guess every other app :)

Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.