Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
eh, I also thought you had asked a serious question. You know how these boards are.

No, it's pretty clear that the inhabitants of this forum don't care much for serious discussion. If you're not with the "party line", then you couldn't POSSIBLY have anything legitimate to say. Pretty sure that's in a policy doc here somewhere.

Reactions: sorgo †

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
adding my voice to this botched notifications thread.

has anyone yet pointed out the weird behaviour where when you swipe up to see your "older" notifications, and if you don't have any, the "no older notifications" line basically flickers illegibly? the only way to get this to come up clearly is to do some overly deliberate swipe up and hold. it basically feels like a gesture that didn't fully register. so you can never be sure if you have no notifications, or you did the gesture wrong, or the os is glitching out on showing notifications (which it also seems to do. my unlocked phone showed an activity notification that just said 'notification' and when i tapped it, it opened the app where there was no notification.)

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA

has anyone yet pointed out the weird behaviour where when you swipe up to see your "older" notifications, and if you don't have any, the "no older notifications" line basically flickers illegibly? the only way to get this to come up clearly is to do some overly deliberate swipe up and hold. it basically feels like a gesture that didn't fully register. so you can never be sure if you have no notifications, or you did the gesture wrong, or the os is glitching out on showing notifications (which it also seems to do. my unlocked phone showed an activity notification that just said 'notification' and when i tapped it, it opened the app where there was no notification.)
Can confirm.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris

If you swipe up keeping your finger on the screen it doesn’t flicker.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
If you swipe up keeping your finger on the screen it doesn’t flicker.
Yes, but in my opinion the whole interaction feels quite janky. As mentioned, we already have to swipe down, then up to check notifications. Having to do a swipe up and then hold is yet another step in something that should be “at a glance”.

Apple just made responsive and appealing ui animation a tent pole feature of the 14 pros with dynamic island. If they’re going in the opposite direction with other core pieces of UI, it deserves to be called out, imo.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Or MAYBE your opinion isn't the only one that matters? They have over a billion users to consider and you are just one, regardless of how important it is to you.
The number of bugs I’ve reported is crazy
Or MAYBE your opinion isn't the only one that matters? They have over a billion users to consider and you are just one, regardless of how important it is to you.
It’s not a question of opinion. Bugs are bugs.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Really can't understand how "count" mode works. With apple watch everything works as it should. When i wear off the watch it starts getting weird.

The first notification is ok, then the second appears as a badge and after a while it becomes a +1 numeber in the counter (see pics). What is wrong?

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 12.09.35.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-09-17 at 12.09.35 (1).jpeg

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Essentially, you have notifications on the lock screen. You don't close or interact with them, and unlock your phone. Upon locking the phone again, on the lock screen, no notifications appear even though they have not been dismissed. If you swipe up from between the camera and flashlight widgets, they appear again. So unless you just check there often or knew you had notifications, there is nothing there to tell you there are pending notifications.
Seriously I don't understand the issue. On iOS 15 if I swiped up to enter my phone while notifications was on the lock screen, they also disappeared once the phone was locked again.

And for the new system, once again, I just think people in general don't like changes and just want to go back to like it was instead of trying to understand or learn the new way. Honestly nothing really changed aside now the notifications are displayed on the bottom and you can chose between 3 options. Of course if you chose "count" you have to be more careful, but its just up to you. If you chose stack or list, you really don't miss anything.

I have to say that I only turn on notifications for stuff I really care like messaging, Uber, News and YouTube app so notifications are easily manageable for me but honestly I don't understand all the negative about this.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Honestly nothing really changed aside now the notifications are displayed on the bottom and you can chose between 3 options. Of course if you chose "count" you have to be more careful, but its just up to you. If you chose stack or list, you really don't miss anything.

This isn’t true. As explained above, Stack or List only applies to the new notifications that do show up on your screen. Once those notifications are no longer new, they are hidden, with no indication that they exist.

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
Moreover, the time it takes them disappear into the swipe-up-twice-abyss seems to vary. Security camera snapshots, credit card charge notifications, WhatsApp notifications disappear after like 30 mins, as though you’re meant to be glued to and checking your phone more often than that.

Reactions: decypher44

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Seriously I don't understand the issue. On iOS 15 if I swiped up to enter my phone while notifications was on the lock screen, they also disappeared once the phone was locked again.

And for the new system, once again, I just think people in general don't like changes and just want to go back to like it was instead of trying to understand or learn the new way. Honestly nothing really changed aside now the notifications are displayed on the bottom and you can chose between 3 options. Of course if you chose "count" you have to be more careful, but its just up to you. If you chose stack or list, you really don't miss anything.

I have to say that I only turn on notifications for stuff I really care like messaging, Uber, News and YouTube app so notifications are easily manageable for me but honestly I don't understand all the negative about this.
Yeah, no. Nothing of what you said is true. There wouldn’t be this many pages if it were. I’m not trying to be mean, but the issue has been documented several times in this thread. It’s most definitely different, and not for the better.

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022

Not true.

In iOS 15:
- only new notifications was shown on LockScreen (but you can open the Notification Center via an additional swipe up from an empty area of the screen);
- if your Pull Down from Home Screen, Notification Center was always visible, so you saw your Recents *AND* Old Notifications (and "distributed silently" notifications).

In iOS 16:
- both the LockScreen and the "Pull Down from Home Screen" have the same behavior: Notification Center is ALWAYS hidden, and makes it so easy to miss notifications that now, I'm ALWAYS doing an extra "Swipe Up from empty area" to be SURE that I have not miss something.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Not true.

In iOS 15:
- only new notifications was shown on LockScreen (but you can open the Notification Center via an additional swipe up from an empty area of the screen);
- if your Pull Down from Home Screen, Notification Center was always visible, so you saw your Recents *AND* Old Notifications (and "distributed silently" notifications).

In iOS 16:
- both the LockScreen and the "Pull Down from Home Screen" have the same behavior: Notification Center is ALWAYS hidden, and makes it so easy to miss notifications that now, I'm ALWAYS doing an extra "Swipe Up from empty area" to be SURE that I have not miss something.
True about iOS 16, but its just a new way to let you see more clearly your NEW notifications so its easier to separate then from the older ones. Personally I like that.

I know that personal preference os subjective, but I just don't understand whats the big problem here. Yeah okay, you have to swipe a second time to see notification center, but at the end you still have all your notifications available. Personally nothing changed and I didn't miss any since I installed iOS 16.

There's other things in iOS 16 that is much worse than this if you ask me like the new way the whole lock screen/home screen works for setting new wallpapers. I just don't understand how a simple change like this can create a topic with 8+ pages of complaining when in the end its essentially the same thing with minor changes.

Reactions: DeadKlau5

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
True about iOS 16, but its just a new way to let you see more clearly your NEW notifications so its easier to separate then from the older ones. Personally I like that.

I know that personal preference os subjective, but I just don't understand whats the big problem here. Yeah okay, you have to swipe a second time to see notification center, but at the end you still have all your notifications available. Personally nothing changed and I didn't miss any since I installed iOS 16.

There's other things in iOS 16 that is much worse than this if you ask me like the new way the whole lock screen/home screen works for setting new wallpapers. I just don't understand how a simple change like this can create a topic with 8+ pages of complaining when in the end its essentially the same thing with minor changes.
No visual indicator or instruction that « there is more to see here » is the real problem. Not the extra swipe up.
I don’t mind doing an extra swipe up to show what I missed.
But I mind that I’m doing and extra swipe up for nothing 75% of the time because of no visual clue.

And this is the problem. Even watchOS have a little red dot.

And seeing the ********ing on Reddit cross threads, it is an issue, neverless you are considering it is not.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
If you use Summaries , turn on Show Next Summary to ON .This way you will always have something in Notification Center when you swipe up and never a blank space. It's maybe not for everyone but it works for my peace of mind.

thesage01

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
I'm really torn on this. We're a 2 family iPhone house and I've been an iPhone user since the very first one came out, and in fact we're a massive Apple house so fully immersed the Apple ecosystem.

My personal experience is that I've always hated the way notifications have clogged up my lockscreen in previous iOS iterations, showing them all as individual items in a list view, and I know someone mentioned this above, but I honestly also had the same issue with notifications on the lock screen that were unread but if I unlocked my phone and then locked again those notifications would vanish completely. I can 100% say that was the case for me as it created a few arguements when I was "accused" of ignoring text messages I can tell you.

So, the new iOS16 notifications I 100% prefer. I like that they're tucked away discretely at the bottom of the screen. I personally don't find it an issue at all swiping up from the bottom to see them.

However, the missus on the other hand is the polar opposite. She doesn't like change so this is something new and absolutely doesn't like it. She, like many on this thread want the "old way" back. She doesn't like that she unlocks her phone when trying to scroll through notifications and doesn't like the list view as she still has to swipe up from the bottom.

It's horses for courses, but given Apple shipped around 240 Million iphones in 2021 alone, I don't think the comments on this thread will force them into a fundemental change to their OS.

It's a case of it's new, there's a change curve everyone goes through to accept change and everyone accepts change at different speeds, so accept that it's her to stay and figure out a way to live with it. But I also absolutely understand people are all different and have different user experiences and are allowed an opinion.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
(...)I honestly also had the same issue with notifications on the lock screen that were unread but if I unlocked my phone and then locked again those notifications would vanish completely. I can 100% say that was the case for me as it created a few arguements when I was "accused" of ignoring text messages I can tell you.

So, the new iOS16 notifications I 100% prefer. I like that they're tucked away discretely at the bottom of the screen. I personally don't find it an issue at all swiping up from the bottom to see them.
I'm a bit confused by your comment, b/c I don't remember them "vanishing" before – it was apparent they still existed – whereas now they actually do disappear (unless you blindly try swiping up to see if anything's there). So it seems more likely to miss them now (...or be accused of "ignoring" them!)

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
I'm a bit confused by your comment, b/c I don't remember them "vanishing" before – it was apparent they still existed ...
I don't have IOS 16 installed (and I'm struggling to understand what's changed) but how @thesage01 described it is exactly what happens for me:
  • You receive a new notification (example: e-mail via GMail app)
  • Ignore it, unlock the phone and get to the app icons (swipe up or press home button etc)
  • Use calculator or something (optional), then lock the phone
  • Wake phone up again
  • GMail notification is gone

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I don't have IOS 16 installed (and I'm struggling to understand what's changed) but how @thesage01 described it is exactly what happens for me:
  • Ignore it, unlock the phone and get to the app icons (swipe up or press home button etc)
  • Wake phone up again
See, that didn’t happen with mine pre-16. They were there until I interacted with them.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
  • Wake phone up again
Right, your steps are correct so far. That's how it works for both iOS 15 & 16. Now let's continue on with these steps...
  • You unlock the phone again and go to the Home Screen
  • You swipe-down from the top-left corner to see your notifications
  • In iOS 16, it looks like you don't have any notifications (in previous versions of iOS, they'd show up)
  • You swipe up to see your hidden notifications
Here's a video showing me accessing them from the Home Screen. Notice there's nothing showing, nor is there anything indicating that I have notifications. I need to swipe up to show the old notifications that left the Lock Screen earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.