Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which speakers sound better?

• Total voters

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
There are some reviews out there that stated that the M1 MacBook Air speakers sounds a little "louder, better and wider" than the M2 MacBook Air speaker which are "less loud, more muffled at high volumes".

Those reviews are:

Sure there are many other reviews that stated that the MacBook Air M2 speakers are better than the M1 as well.
Those who have got the M2 MacBook Air and also an old MacBook Air from 2018 - 2021 (including the M1 version), how do the speakers compare according to your testings?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wizec and jdb8167

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
They sound better than the previous Air to me. Though not as good, especially the lower frequency response of the Pro 14.
That is great! And I understand that the Pros will sound a lot better than the Air!

hellojohnny

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
California
So here's my take since I have tried both MBA versions:
  • Both speakers sound good for quality, loudness and clarity
  • 2018-2021 models are a bit louder with more treble/bass
  • BUT the M2 is much clearer, crispy in audio quality for vocals and balanced overall
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-hX03qE99XDeOk.jpg

One thing I did notice that reviews don't mention is that I don't feel any vibrations besides the keyboard with the older model which bothered me. Great placement of the speakers to bound off the screen.

I appreciate the M2 cleaner design without the speaker holes and having smooth sides.

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Like @hellojohnny said, having these larger speaker outlets reflecting on the display instead of the tiny holes apparently attributes to a clearer sound.
Quite innovative in my eyes (not ears, don‘t own one).
all image credits to ifixit

Attachments

• EB9614C7-5572-4CB8-B68E-806E96409D9D.jpeg
    EB9614C7-5572-4CB8-B68E-806E96409D9D.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 482
  • 8F07CEF7-02D0-4C0D-BB6F-795CF0488AB6.jpeg
    8F07CEF7-02D0-4C0D-BB6F-795CF0488AB6.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

FattKingHugeman

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2022
The MBA M2 speakers sounds about the same as the M1 in term of quality but the M1 sounds louder. The M2 seems more balance in the low, mids and high frequencies.

The MBP 14 sounds way way better and only topped by the MBP 16.

Belle Pomme

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2020
M2 Air speakers are not good. I have been watching lectures and when the lecturer gets loud, something in the M2 Air rattles and buzzes. Fortunately I usually use headphones. My iPad Pro speakers are much better.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I wish Apple came out with a subwoofer for these laptops. They don't have much bass because it's physically impossible to do in such an enclosure.

Reactions: G5isAlive

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I definately hear different sounds between the M1 and M2 devices. Not an audio person so all I can say is that I think they both sound fine, just different. It appears to be more about the change in speaker location than actual quality. But that is just my view.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I wish Apple came out with a subwoofer for these laptops. They don't have much bass because it's physically impossible to do in such an enclosure.
a separate sub? seems a: like a great idea, and b: very 'un-apple'. maybe a better idea would be for them to conquer physics, and create a subwoofer for the next air...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
They used to make a sub along with Pro stereo speakers, unlike the mono HomePods.
a sub designed for the macbook pros/airs would be nice (altho maybe not needed for the 14"/16"). but the logistics would have to be worked out. it needs to be well-matched to the internal speakers. and logically, a bluetooth connection (as apple is not going to add a 'sub out' jack on any macbook).

i don't expect to see this, but would be interesting if a 3rd-party developer got this going...

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
My Intel 16" MBP has way more bass than this MBA. That one I was pretty shocked with how good it sounded. The MBA is kinda.. well it's likely competent for its size, but no "wow"-feeling.

Also the keys shake at high volume making things sound slightly distorted at times. The Swedish keyboard layout with the big return key isn't helping things here, I think.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: calstanford

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Do a lot of people really use the speakers for the type of sound that matters??
For me, if I'm wanting sound for things that matter like music, movies, etc. I am wearing my AirPods or headphones of some type.
My speakers are more for basic things like podcasts, YouTube or things that don't need a lot of depth.

Am I in the minority?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do a lot of people really use the speakers for the type of sound that matters??
For me, if I'm wanting sound for things that matter like music, movies, etc. I am wearing my AirPods or headphones of some type.
My speakers are more for basic things like podcasts, YouTube or things that don't need a lot of depth.

Am I in the minority?
Not in the minority. On MR, the extremist user is one that seems like the majority but, that really isn't the case. In fact, MR is the minority of real Mac society.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
My step sons M1 air sounds a tad louder versus my M2 air. Now air M2 sounds more clear and less noisy. Im a sounds guy. The B&W system in my XC90 T8 sounds really good. That’s why I paid extra for that.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Good speakers are not measured by how loud they get, at least not to me. It's straight up sound quality. I often cringe when I see decibel meters being used with YouTube reviews to see which MacBook have 'better' speakers.

The speakers in the M2 Air are fine, even good for the size of the MacBook, especially when you account for their placement, but to my ears, I prefer the speakers in the M1 Air.

The mids are a bit too pronounced with the M2 Air speakers which creates a bit of a tinny and flat sound with some audio.

While the speakers in the M1 Air aren't amazing, there is a bit more separation in sound giving a more layered listening experience (to my ears, of course).

However, I downloaded Boom 2 and created my own EQ setting and it made a huge difference on my M2 Air. It takes a bit of tinkering and tuning, but when you get there, it's worth it.

Everyone's ears are different, but I tend to lean towards the 'Electronic' EQ settings where the bass and treble are a bit more pronounced, and the mid section is tucked down a bit.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Having owned both, I agree with all above. A slight nod to the M2 for clarity… but in any case I would never use a laptop speakers as a decision point. When I need speakers, I bring speakers.
I treat laptop speakers like Auratones. I can mix the upper mids with them in a pinch.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I treat laptop speakers like Auratones. I can mix the upper mids with them in a pinch.
i woundn't mix anything on the air speakers... unless it's a ukelele and a soft vocal 🤔

i could see someone checking their mix on the speakers, but just to, literally, 'see how the mix sounds on a macbook air'.

fyi, ALL trap songs (and solo bass albums) are mixed on MBA speakers 🤣

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
i woundn't mix anything on the air speakers... unless it's a ukelele and a soft vocal 🤔

i could see someone checking their mix on the speakers, but just to, literally, 'see how the mix sounds on a macbook air'.

fyi, ALL trap songs (and solo bass albums) are mixed on MBA speakers 🤣
If you hate MacBook speakers, you should listen to a pair of NS10s, the industry standard for crappy monitors.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2021
Hmm upon reading all the comments, interesting that the M2 Air Speakers is polarizing the opinions on some aspects. It feels like the M2 Air speaker is a side grade instead of the full on upgrade that every new macbook air/pro generation receives.

Due to the thinning of the chassis and speaker location change to make room for the battery. Very interesting.

Has anyone compared the M2 Air speakers with the 12" Macbook speakers? In terms of sound quality and loudness, which ones are better?

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.