Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rj41978

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
I got to the point that I don’t even like to hold the 11 inch anymore so I use this holder connected to a table next to my chair. Much much better. Did saying with the 12.9 inch sometime ago and it helped a whole lot since holding and 12.9 inch Became uncomfortable after a while.
Do you have a link for this product?

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    951.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: srikat and rj41978

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Hello everyone! I've had the 11-inch M1 iPad for about 1.5 years now, but since my brother is looking for an iPad and didn't want to get the new iPad Pro, I decided to upgrade to the M4 iPad Pro and give him my M1 iPad Pro.

However, I'm undecided on which size to choose. I like the portability of the 11-inch model, and it is really comfortable to use in my hand as a tablet. I use my iPad when I'm out of the house most of the time, including when I'm on trains, planes, and around the house. I am planning on getting the Magic Keyboard case with it.

I'm considering the 12.9-inch version for more screen space when I am doing work, but I already have a 13-inch M1 MacBook, so I'm finding it hard to justify getting another large device.

Can anyone share their experiences with both iPad sizes and give me a recommendation?
For your usage I absolutely recommend the 11" model.

Reactions: AppleFan.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Thank you for the recommendation! Do you think the Magic Keyboard would be worth to get with the 11 inch iPad?
I purchased the new Magic Keyboard. It is too expensive at retail but it will be awesome. Should you get it? Depends on how much you plan on using it.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
With my current M2 iPad Pro 11", I have it set to "More Space" with text size slightly increased, which gives roughly the same area as a 12.9" iPad.
Whoa, I never even knew that option existed. I enabled it last night, and it definitely nudges me in the direction of sticking with 11"... in particular, there's a UI element in Lightroom (which I work extensively in) that, with the 12.9" is visible without scrolling, but requires me to swipe down a bit on the 11", slowing me down. With the "More Space" option enabled, that element is accessible without needing to scroll.

Reactions: alecgold

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With my current M2 iPad Pro 11", I have it set to "More Space" with text size slightly increased, which gives roughly the same area as a 12.9" iPad.

This is my favorite feature introduced on iPadOS 16. Near 12.9" screen real estate in 11" form factor.

This makes it a lot easier for me to skip bringing the 12.9" when traveling.

Reactions: Devyn89

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
This is my favorite feature introduced on iPadOS 16. Near 12.9" screen real estate in 11" form factor.

This makes it a lot easier for me to skip bringing the 12.9" when traveling.
I will def check this out! Never knew this was an option. Loved my m1 11’, I know deep down that the 13’ is just to big for me to use as a tablet.

Foureyedave

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
I've had 12.9" iPad Pro for last 4 years and I'm very eager to try the 11" I ordered.
I wanted to visualize the difference in aspect ratio for these new screen pixel dimensions with 16:9 content in mind.

Attachments

• a5f30a3d-9143-4aad-9f38-ad66c64727c8.png
    a5f30a3d-9143-4aad-9f38-ad66c64727c8.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 149
  • eece9093-4fa3-41a0-ba56-83db7c20be82.png
    eece9093-4fa3-41a0-ba56-83db7c20be82.png
    501.1 KB · Views: 150

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Why not both? I’m getting both with 1TB storage and nano texture display. I plan to keep 6 years or till whenever it gets major update.
I really enjoy using the iPad, and I use it daily. But it's not as essential to me as my iPhone and Mac. Having two iPads would be a bit excessive for my needs. I'm curious, what made you decide to get 2 iPads?

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
As already have M1 11, it is a hard choice. I def prefer the 12.9 but mine is 2020 model so upgrade would be noticeable and a nice upgrade, not bothered about kbd, the mac MK is perfectly good enough, not sure why most want the ipad MK, but the extra 300 cost makes me reconsider going to M4 11 and trade in my M1. Other constraint is i usually get cellular and that is another 200, why only 150 for air cellular …. !

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Hello everyone! I've had the 11-inch M1 iPad for about 1.5 years now, but since my brother is looking for an iPad and didn't want to get the new iPad Pro, I decided to upgrade to the M4 iPad Pro and give him my M1 iPad Pro.

However, I'm undecided on which size to choose. I like the portability of the 11-inch model, and it is really comfortable to use in my hand as a tablet. I use my iPad when I'm out of the house most of the time, including when I'm on trains, planes, and around the house. I am planning on getting the Magic Keyboard case with it.

I'm considering the 12.9-inch version for more screen space when I am doing work, but I already have a 13-inch M1 MacBook, so I'm finding it hard to justify getting another large device.

Can anyone share their experiences with both iPad sizes and give me a recommendation?
If you frequently used split screen, 13” is much more comfortable. For mobility, just like others said here, 11” is the winner.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Wow. I’ve just checked this out and I’m now doubting my 13”!

I loved the way apps would be near full app split screen on the 12.9”. However, sold that and kept my current 11”, then missed that option.

I cannot believe I’m just hearing about this now, it’s much better!!! Thanks for sharing, I think?! I’m more confused now!!!

Reactions: Sowelu

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I had the iPad Pro 12.9 512GB 2020 cellular plus pencil, which I only just sold about a month ago.

I honestly didn't benefit from it because of its size and weight with the keyboard. And as I already had a 16-inch MacBook Pro, it was too close in size to be of any real benefit. I have just upgraded my 16-inch MacBook Pro to the M3 Max.

I am now retired and often find myself in a pub or out somewhere, spending a lot of time reading my iPhone 15 Pro Max, the iPad 11 inch could take over this. My ideal set-up would now be buying the smaller 11-inch iPad Pro with the keyboard, which would allow me to travel on holidays without the bulk of a laptop.

I never used my iPad Pro 12.9 in bed; it was too big and awkward. I think the 11-inch Pro 2024 suits me, as then I have a Mac Studio at home with large screens, the MacBook 16-inch, which I can take away if I want, and this extra portability of the iPad Pro 11-inch for photography backup, media use, using it lightly for editing and video editing with Lightroom and Final Cut Pro.

I am just trying not to let the other be so close that I won't be using one of them. The only thing I could do to reduce it to just two items is to lose the Mac Studio and replace it with the MacBook 16-inch using my CallDigit TS4.

So, this time, it makes sense to go with the iPad Pro 11-inch. Biggest isn't the best for me this time 😊 So I ordered the 11-inch Pro iPad cellular black, of course, collecting from Solihull. Happy Days.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
I had the iPad Pro 12.9 512GB 2020 cellular plus pencil, which I only just sold about a month ago.

I honestly didn't benefit from it because of its size and weight with the keyboard. And as I already had a 16-inch MacBook Pro, it was too close in size to be of any real benefit. I have just upgraded my 16-inch MacBook Pro to the M3 Max.

I am now retired and often find myself in a pub or out somewhere, spending a lot of time reading my iPhone 15 Pro Max, the iPad 11 inch could take over this. My ideal set-up would now be buying the smaller 11-inch iPad Pro with the keyboard, which would allow me to travel on holidays without the bulk of a laptop.

I never used my iPad Pro 12.9 in bed; it was too big and awkward. I think the 11-inch Pro 2024 suits me, as then I have a Mac Studio at home with large screens, the MacBook 16-inch, which I can take away if I want, and this extra portability of the iPad Pro 11-inch for photography backup, media use, using it lightly for editing and video editing with Lightroom and Final Cut Pro.

I am just trying not to let the other be so close that I won't be using one of them. The only thing I could do to reduce it to just two items is to lose the Mac Studio and replace it with the MacBook 16-inch using my CallDigit TS4.

So, this time, it makes sense to go with the iPad Pro 11-inch. Biggest isn't the best for me this time 😊 So I ordered the 11-inch Pro iPad cellular black, of course, collecting from Solihull. Happy Days.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I think for me it would also make the most sense to get the 11-inch. Mostly because I already have a 13-inch MacBook and loved the portability on my 11-inch iPad Pro M1. I'll probably also get the Smart Folio and Magic Keyboard case with it.

Are you planning to get a folio case as well, or just the Magic Keyboard?

Reactions: Gadger Snr

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Wow. I’ve just checked this out and I’m now doubting my 13”!

I loved the way apps would be near full app split screen on the 12.9”. However, sold that and kept my current 11”, then missed that option.

I cannot believe I’m just hearing about this now, it’s much better!!! Thanks for sharing, I think?! I’m more confused now!!!
Golden comment! Having second thoughts now as well!

I checked this in-store today (with current-gen models) and opened Final Cut Pro. Yes, when you choose "More Space" on the 11" model, than what you see is almost equal to what you see on the 12.9" model!

Reactions: boston04and07

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
As already have M1 11, it is a hard choice. I def prefer the 12.9 but mine is 2020 model so upgrade would be noticeable and a nice upgrade, not bothered about kbd, the mac MK is perfectly good enough, not sure why most want the ipad MK, but the extra 300 cost makes me reconsider going to M4 11 and trade in my M1. Other constraint is i usually get cellular and that is another 200, why only 150 for air cellular …. !

I like the iPad Magic Keyboard due to the fact you can plug in the charger into the KB, instead of the iPad, and it acts like a quick dock. You can plug in a monitor to the iPad and still keep it charging, with the Magic Keyboard.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
doesn’t the 12.9” have the more space option too?

Yes it does. Here’s a comparison of 12.9 More Space, 12.9 Default and 10.9 Air 5 More Space.

More Space

Viewport Pro 12.9 More Space.png

Default Zoom

Viewport Pro 12.9 Default.png

Air 5 More Space​

Viewport Air 5 More Space.png

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience! I think for me it would also make the most sense to get the 11-inch. Mostly because I already have a 13-inch MacBook and loved the portability on my 11-inch iPad Pro M1. I'll probably also get the Smart Folio and Magic Keyboard case with it.

Are you planning to get a folio case as well, or just the Magic Keyboard?
Thank you for your reply. I'm just going to get the Apple keyboard.

I think we often need to sit and think about what we actually need rather than what we like if that makes sense.

• Love
Reactions: alecgold

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
My current iPad Pro is a 12.9 inch 2018 iPad Pro. This time I’m going with the 11-inch. While the big screen is nice the novelty has working off and I sometimes find it too big to handle comfortably especially holding it one handed. This time around I went with the 11-inch iPad Pro. I also have an iPad Mini so now I will have one in each size lol. Thinking about using my 12.9 inch as an auxiliary screen for my M1 iMac as I have a nice Twelve South hover bar that 8 can use to have it suspended close to the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.