Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Can I ask those using ‘more space’ ont he 11in, does it let you run two ‘full’ apps side by side like default on the 12.9, or does it force one into ‘iPhone’-sized?

Reactions: boston04and07

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
As has been mentioned, neither is ideal for holding in your hands for longer periods of time without support. Some people therefore use a combination of iPad mini for handheld/mobile use and 13" for use on a table/stand/body.

This is exactly what I am going to do.

Ordered the 13" since it will be used at home, attached to a keyboard, most of the time.

I'll get Apple mini whenever Apple releases Gen 7 with ProMotion (if they do). A mini size is the ultimate usable form factor for me.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have both an M1 Air and an M1 Pro 13”. I’m consolidating to the 11” M4 Pro. I like the nicer screen in the older 13” Pro, but especially with the Magic Keyboard, the 11” is more portable. I use my iPad Air with an external monitor at the office (we have dual monitor setups and I unplug the second monitor for use with my iPad). It works well with Stage Manager.

Reactions: Moi Ici

gaedfly

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Hello everyone! I've had the 11-inch M1 iPad for about 1.5 years now, but since my brother is looking for an iPad and didn't want to get the new iPad Pro, I decided to upgrade to the M4 iPad Pro and give him my M1 iPad Pro.

However, I'm undecided on which size to choose. I like the portability of the 11-inch model, and it is really comfortable to use in my hand as a tablet. I use my iPad when I'm out of the house most of the time, including when I'm on trains, planes, and around the house. I am planning on getting the Magic Keyboard case with it.

I'm considering the 12.9-inch version for more screen space when I am doing work, but I already have a 13-inch M1 MacBook, so I'm finding it hard to justify getting another large device.

Can anyone share their experiences with both iPad sizes and give me a recommendation?

Hello everyone! I've had the 11-inch M1 iPad for about 1.5 years now, but since my brother is looking for an iPad and didn't want to get the new iPad Pro, I decided to upgrade to the M4 iPad Pro and give him my M1 iPad Pro.

However, I'm undecided on which size to choose. I like the portability of the 11-inch model, and it is really comfortable to use in my hand as a tablet. I use my iPad when I'm out of the house most of the time, including when I'm on trains, planes, and around the house. I am planning on getting the Magic Keyboard case with it.

I'm considering the 12.9-inch version for more screen space when I am doing work, but I already have a 13-inch M1 MacBook, so I'm finding it hard to justify getting another large device.

Can anyone share their experiences with both iPad sizes and give me a recommendation?
Hi. I started with the Gen 1 12.9" iPad Pro. I loved that great big slab of glass and didn't find it unwieldy. I did use it mainly in landscape mode. When I upgraded I chose the 11" Gen 2, mainly due to price and partly due to ease of handing and portability. I like it but always regretted my choice. This time I'm going back to the 13". True, it's not as portable but the additional pixels and screen real estate in a lighter version for me is irresistible. And if my 2nd monitor isn't hooked up, it makes a great dual monitor for my 14" M1 MBP. I also always use the Magic Keyboard, never the on screen keyboard, and the 11" feels too cramped to me. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Posted this in another thread…just my thoughts on ordering this year.

I use a surface pro for work which I need. even that’s more compact than the size of the 12.9inch iPad Pro which I have and I often don’t want to pick up due to size. I want to use the 11 inch again (had previously but switched to 12.9 2-3 years ago due to the mini led display) for travel and to use around the house for reading, entertainment, and light work. Ordered it and will try it alongside with my 12.9 inch one, before I trade it in.

losta

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
NY Metro area
I ordered the 11" iPad Pro. I had the 12.9 first gen iPad Pro in 2015 but I never liked the size. My next 2 iPad Pros were 11" too. I normally travel with a 13" MacBook Air and a 6th generation iPad Mini but I am hoping with the new M4 I can skip the MB Air and just go with the 11" iPad Pro when I travel.

Reactions: Moi Ici and max2

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I really enjoy using the iPad, and I use it daily. But it's not as essential to me as my iPhone and Mac. Having two iPads would be a bit excessive for my needs. I'm curious, what made you decide to get 2 iPads?
He's got lots of spare dosh 👍

mauriziocorso77

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Can I ask those using ‘more space’ ont he 11in, does it let you run two ‘full’ apps side by side like default on the 12.9, or does it force one into ‘iPhone’-sized?
Your apps should be full sized

I would try it on mine but can't tell the difference with some of the apps. Happy to try it if you can let me know the names of the apps :)

Reactions: marmiteturkey

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I went with 13” iPad Pro. So glad that I did. I love the size and reduction in weight. I use it as a tablet (as I did my M1 12.9”) and it’s now even lighter. I have rheumatoid arthritis, so if I can do this anyone can.

c4b7cce0e563815424f369cb2e003d15.jpg

5c29a03e292fe3509d46dfbfbfe42e19.jpg

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I went with 13” iPad Pro. So glad that I did. I love the size and reduction in weight. I use it as a tablet (as I did my M1 12.9”) and it’s now even lighter. I have rheumatoid arthritis, so if I can do this anyone can.

c4b7cce0e563815424f369cb2e003d15.jpg

5c29a03e292fe3509d46dfbfbfe42e19.jpg
Does the FID on top make a difference in landscape?
Your GSP has a notch?

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
Does the FID on top make a difference in landscape?
Your GSP has a notch?

I’m not entirely sure what you are asking. Face ID works whether I’m holding the iPad in portrait or landscape. Is that what you meant?
Yes, I got a JETech glass screen protector from Amazon. I can’t say that it’s the thinnest protector, but it’s clear and I got it on with ease with the guide (one of their options includes a plastic guide). So yes, it has a notch in the screen protector on the long side where the cameras are now instead of the short side (top?) where they used to be.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I’m not entirely sure what you are asking. Face ID works whether I’m holding the iPad in portrait or landscape. Is that what you meant?
Yes, I got a JETech glass screen protector from Amazon. I can’t say that it’s the thinnest protector, but it’s clear and I got it on with ease with the guide (one of their options includes a plastic guide). So yes, it has a notch in the screen protector on the long side where the cameras are now instead of the short side (top?) where they used to be.
the sensor used to be on the left so your hand blocked it all the time in landscape

Reactions: alecgold

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Your apps should be full sized

I would try it on mine but can't tell the difference with some of the apps. Happy to try it if you can let me know the names of the apps :)
Supremely helpful, thank you. Have been angsting about dropping down in size but this makes me think the 11 is going to be a better companion device for my mbp16/ultramobile .

Reactions: alecgold

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
the sensor used to be on the left so your hand blocked it all the time in landscape

Ah yes. I used my M1 12.9” in portrait and landscape and I would usually block the faceID camera with my left hand when I held it in landscape.
I have no issues unlocking now with the M4 13” in either orientation.

Reactions: Surfsalot

Golf7-R

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2017
Frankfurt
13 pro seems to get all the focus, also reviewers mostly show the 13.
Is it because it is a little thinner?! Otherwise this year finally both are exactly the same (minus the screen size).

I got the 2018 12.9 Pro (no miniLED) so it is not much heavier than the new 13 pro. For me the issue was never the weight but the size. It is awkward to use as a tablet to quickly look something up.

Just got my 11 Pro. Happy to be back ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2990 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2990 (1).jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 51

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I’ve been going back and forth about 13 iPad Pro base model and 11 512gb. I have an iPad mini which I use the most. Haven’t used my 11 iPad Pro 2018 with 256gb with about half storage free once I got the mini. I also have a 14 inch MacBook Pro. I’d like to be able to travel with either the 11 or 13 so I wouldn’t need to take 14 mbp with me as the mini is too small to do serious work on. Since the 13 with mkb is lighter than 14 mbp that this could be an option but at home I feel they would cannibalize each other. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reactions: losta

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I’ve gone 11” to 12.9” to 11”.
I find I get more use with 11” size, 12.9” mainly stayed on a desk.

Reactions: NARadyk

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I’ve been going back and forth about 13 iPad Pro base model and 11 512gb. I have an iPad mini which I use the most. Haven’t used my 11 iPad Pro 2018 with 256gb with about half storage free once I got the mini. I also have a 14 inch MacBook Pro. I’d like to be able to travel with either the 11 or 13 so I wouldn’t need to take 14 mbp with me as the mini is too small to do serious work on. Since the 13 with mkb is lighter than 14 mbp that this could be an option but at home I feel they would cannibalize each other. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I really struggled as well and decided on the 11”. It arrives this morning. I had a m1 11 that I loved except for the LCD screen. So glad both are now OLED. For travel I recommend the 11’.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
11" is just a nice size for me for daily use. Picking mine up after work!

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
I picked up the 11-inch today, along with the Logitech Combo Touch case and Apple Pencil Pro. So I can use it both as a tablet and as a laptop. I am really liking it so far, especially the screen quality is a big upgrade. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice!

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
11” for me, I’m typing this on my new 11” M4 that replaced my 11” 2018 IPP. I have a 14” MBP M1 for when I need a bigger screen. My iPad is my consumption, light work duties and traveling computer. When I travel for work I have a 15” MacBook Air, and have my iPad as my personal computer. Likewise when I’m traveling for leisure, I rarely bring my MacBook. And for the motorcycle trips the 11” is great, it even fits in my tank bag.

Ditched the Pencil, at least for now. I used it sparingly on my 2018 IPP so I think I’ll do without. I did however get the Magic Keyboard, having used the Keyboard Folio on my 2018. The Keyboard Folio is not available now, but I think I would go for the Magic Keyboard anyway, the improvements this round makes it great, even though the price is silly.

I’m happy, I wonder if this iPad will last six years as the last one? :) And I’ve just handed it to my son, it’s still in great condition, the battery is weaker and lasts around 7 hours now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.