Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Were these vertical lines in the M2-series Mac Studio present on the exhaust of the M1-version? I'm wondering if this hints at the white being related to the airflow out of the small holes as theorized.

View attachment 2212896

I believe they were yes. This image is from a Macworld article from March 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_8535.png
    IMG_8535.png
    729.1 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: Traverse

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Were these vertical lines in the M2-series Mac Studio present on the exhaust of the M1-version? I'm wondering if this hints at the white being related to the airflow out of the small holes as theorized.

View attachment 2212896
Not to be obtuse but what vertical lines are you referring to? This pic looks exactly like my M1 Studio which is whisper quiet.

novagamer

macrumors regular
May 13, 2006
Not to be obtuse but what vertical lines are you referring to? This pic looks exactly like my M1 Studio which is whisper quiet.
It's the heatsink inside, lmao.

If you don't have coil whine that's awesome - or you can't hear it or have the machine at a good distance. Regardless, great it works for you. Given the price difference for the Mac Pro I'll probably get an M2 Studio and throw it in a box if it annoys me.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
In some of the wholes you can see a vertical line from the heatsink. I’m considering this Mac now as I miss my Studio (returned with really bad whine). By now I’m hoping they nailed down the variances causing it.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
In some of the wholes you can see a vertical line from the heatsink. I’m considering this Mac now as I miss my Studio (returned with really bad whine). By now I’m hoping they nailed down the variances causing it.
Whew, i had to look really hard but finally saw what you are seeing, suspect those are the cooling fins on the heatsink.

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Reactions: Cape Dave and GlenK

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
I wonder if they just dropped the default fan speed to 1100...
I'm fairly confident the fan on the gen 2 will run at less than 1300. If there are no changes internally, perhaps they'll be a firmware update for the first gen Mac Studio dropping soon... 🤞

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Well, it’s 10dB difference, so it might be more than just lowering the fan speed.
The relationship between fan speed and db is non-linear so hard to know - for example a reduction in turbulence will make a massive difference.

Anyways Alpha, I saw you finally bought the Mac Studio. Going to look great in your home studio.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

AlphaCentauri

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2019
Norwich, United Kingdom
The relationship between fan speed and db is non-linear so hard to know - for example a reduction in turbulence will make a massive difference.

Anyways Alpha, I saw you finally bought the Mac Studio. Going to look great in your home studio.
Not bought yet, but I’m ordering one in next few months, it’s business expense for me so I’m planning against the budget I have at my disposal and need to pay tax advance in July first 👍

Reactions: AdamSeen

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
We don't know that. Its just assumption at this point. We have to wait till next week

Wasn't the high idle speed caused by the PSU? Maybe they've added better passive cooling to the PSU or something so that the fans are only cooling the SoC now.

Either way, I'm happy and have ordered an M2 Ultra now that I know this issue has been fixed.

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
We don't know that. Its just assumption at this point. We have to wait till next week
Well it's next week and I'm currently setting up my M2 Ultra Studio, and it's for all intents and purposes completely silent.

I can only hear the M2 Ultra if I jam my head up against it, whereas the M1 Ultra I could hear across the room.

I'm looking forward to actually using the machine now instead of just arguing about it :D

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Would you please load up Mac fan control or istat menus and let us know the fan speed that it's running?

I wonder if it's still 1350rpm with quieter fans, or if they just lowered the fan speed.

Thanks and congrats on your M2 Ultra!

Reactions: Feek

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Please keep us posted. Lets hope that Apple did improve it drastically

Well it's next week and I'm currently setting up my M2 Ultra Studio, and it's for all intents and purposes completely silent.

I can only hear the M2 Ultra if I jam my head up against it, whereas the M1 Ultra I could hear across the room.

I'm looking forward to actually using the machine now instead of just arguing about it :D

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
Would you please load up Mac fan control or istat menus and let us know the fan speed that it's running?

I wonder if it's still 1350rpm with quieter fans, or if they just lowered the fan speed.

Thanks and congrats on your M2 Ultra!
Looks like the fans are now sitting at 1000 RPM when idle (which is also the lowest speed now)

It does seem fairly easy to get the fans back up to the point where they're audible if you start doing some heavy lifting, but I'm fine with that tbh.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Looks like the fans are now sitting at 1000 RPM when idle (which is also the lowest speed now)

It does seem fairly easy to get the fans back up to the point where they're audible if you start doing some heavy lifting, but I'm fine with that tbh.
Awesome! So basically I expect the only thing they did was put on a better fan curve. That's good for me - when I'm processing I don't mind the noise - When I'm writing I hate it. Ideal solution.

If it's confirmed there are no actual cooling changes, I wonder if a firmware update will ever arise for the original Studio... After the major sales of the new one have been done, of course.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for confirming - interesting, so they made it lower at idle, and then it ramps up. I suspected as much.

That would make me feel more confident in reducing the fan speed to 1100 on my v1 Mac Studio Ultra.

Not so much because of noise, but because it should in theory suck up less dust!

I have an extremely quiet music studio (well, when there's no music!) and my v1 Mac Studio Ultra sits 2m away from me and is not audible when it turns off at the end of the day.

I highly doubt Apple will update the firmware on the v1 Mac Studios. They'll treat it like it never existed!

Also interesting that, in theory, the M2 will run hotter than the M1 so would need that higher idle much more than the M1s do... assuming it follows the patterns of the laptops.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I feel that that is not the case. I'd assume that there are some hardware changes related to cooling. Very small probably but I doubt they would just adjust the curve and be done. If that was the case then we would get a software update ages ago. This surely is more than that :)

Awesome! So basically I expect the only thing they did was put on a better fan curve. That's good for me - when I'm processing I don't mind the noise - When I'm writing I hate it. Ideal solution.

If it's confirmed there are no actual cooling changes, I wonder if a firmware update will ever arise for the original Studio... After the major sales of the new one have been done, of course.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

jmho

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2021
The Max RPM of the fan is 3500. Is that the same as the M1 Studio? I'm guessing that number might be lower if the fans are beefier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.