Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Maps.app has a new icon.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 19.51.02.png

Reactions: koifish22

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Books.app in macOS 12 is supposed to be a port of the iOS version. Can someone post some screenshots?

Reactions: xmach

petekjohnson

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
Hi Pete, may I ask you how you do this step? I feel so dumb as I haven't yet managed to figure out how to migrate existing accounts in my MS Authenticator app. I don't see any QR code for any existing accounts there.
I've never used the MS Authenticator, and have very limited experience with any of the other ones (Google, Authy, etc.). I can only speak to OTP Auth. It has a main window listing each site you have setup for 2-factor authentication. On any site, you can control/right-click and choose Edit, which will bring up a variety of things you can look at or change. At the bottom you can Display QR code, and it will reveal whatever QR code was used in setting the site up. This is what I made screenshots out of. If the app you are using doesn't have any obvious way to display QR codes, you might try contacting the developer to see if they can suggest a way to reveal them. The only other thing I know how to do is turn OFF 2-factor authentication for a given site, and turn it back on, in order to generate a brand new QR code. I have for a while now maintained a folder with all of the various backup codes and recovery keys that a site may give you to use with 2-factor authentication, but was not saving any of the QR codes, but now that I've done this migration, I have saved all the screenshots in their corresponding folders for future use. In the future, any time I enable 2-factor authentication on a new site, I will save the QR code for future use. (Everything is actually stored inside an encrypted disk image.)

I have heard bits here and there about how it is difficult to even move an authenticator app from one device to another and how if you don't do it right, or lose a phone, or whatever, you're screwed and have to start over from scratch. That is one of the main reasons why I think OTP Auth is so outstanding - it has iOS and macOS versions and keeps your site setups synchronized via iCloud so you're not at risk of losing everything due to loss of a single device, and migrating to a new one is as simple as telling it to use iCloud. You can of course also password protect your stuff so that it can't be setup on a new device without a password first, and you can export your entire set of accounts to a password-protected, encrypted backup file which you can then import into another device if you like. It's very robust.

Having said that, obviously if one can dispense with a separate authenticator app entirely, that is still preferable. So far, the new built-in 2-factor authentication has worked on every site I've tried except one. That one just does nothing, waiting for you to enter a code as you ordinarily would have to. I assume they'll update their site soon enough.

Reactions: TruBleu

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Does anyone succeed to use the new live text/visual lookup features? I dont see any option when opening a photo with Photos/Preview apps.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
It's on the apple.com homepage…

didnt see it, was buried and doing a cmd+f search for the word came up with nothing when I was doing my initial check, which of course started by going to the Mac / MacOS section of the site and coming up with nothing

point stays the same, it's not a priority

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
I've never used the MS Authenticator, and have very limited experience with any of the other ones (Google, Authy, etc.). I can only speak to OTP Auth. It has a main window listing each site you have setup for 2-factor authentication. On any site, you can control/right-click and choose Edit, which will bring up a variety of things you can look at or change. At the bottom you can Display QR code, and it will reveal whatever QR code was used in setting the site up. This is what I made screenshots out of. If the app you are using doesn't have any obvious way to display QR codes, you might try contacting the developer to see if they can suggest a way to reveal them. The only other thing I know how to do is turn OFF 2-factor authentication for a given site, and turn it back on, in order to generate a brand new QR code. I have for a while now maintained a folder with all of the various backup codes and recovery keys that a site may give you to use with 2-factor authentication, but was not saving any of the QR codes, but now that I've done this migration, I have saved all the screenshots in their corresponding folders for future use. In the future, any time I enable 2-factor authentication on a new site, I will save the QR code for future use. (Everything is actually stored inside an encrypted disk image.)

I have heard bits here and there about how it is difficult to even move an authenticator app from one device to another and how if you don't do it right, or lose a phone, or whatever, you're screwed and have to start over from scratch. That is one of the main reasons why I think OTP Auth is so outstanding - it has iOS and macOS versions and keeps your site setups synchronized via iCloud so you're not at risk of losing everything due to loss of a single device, and migrating to a new one is as simple as telling it to use iCloud. You can of course also password protect your stuff so that it can't be setup on a new device without a password first, and you can export your entire set of accounts to a password-protected, encrypted backup file which you can then import into another device if you like. It's very robust.

Having said that, obviously if one can dispense with a separate authenticator app entirely, that is still preferable. So far, the new built-in 2-factor authentication has worked on every site I've tried except one. That one just does nothing, waiting for you to enter a code as you ordinarily would have to. I assume they'll update their site soon enough.
Thanks for the very elaborate response. I will try turning off 2FA and on again and see what happens. Think that could work. Thanks again.

Reactions: petekjohnson

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
didnt see it, was buried and doing a cmd+f search for the word came up with nothing when I was doing my initial check, which of course started by going to the Mac / MacOS section of the site and coming up with nothing

the iOS, iPadOS and macOS software pages won't be updated till they release in Sep/Oct, for now they remain on current releases.

Also its on the HomePage from first to last is:
iOS
iPadOS
macOS
WacthOS

Funny you say macOS is not a priority because I completely disagree, in WWDC on macOS got the special entering a
"secret lab" vibe compared to other OS.

Also tvOS is not even on the homepage to me that says it's not a priority.

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
-----Found these on the Monterey preview features page under 'Accessibility:'

Improved Full Keyboard Access​

Using an expanded set of keyboard shortcuts, improvements to Full Keyboard Access enable you to control everything on your Mac with a keyboard — without a mouse or trackpad.

Custom mouse pointers​

Customize the outline and fill color of the mouse pointer so it’s easier to recognize when it moves or changes to an insertion point, crosshair, hand, or other shape.
The second one of those is a nice little extra you could use for customization/personalization.

Reactions: Lvivske

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
The wallpaper is misnamed "MacOS Graphic" instead of naming it Monterey. Betting it'll be fixed by beta 7.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.36.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.36.31 PM.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 165

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
There's a new, thick selector border when you choose your user account at login.

IMG_4774.JPG

I didn't go through all of the panes in the "setup" assistant, but some panes have animations now. For example, the blue icons at the top of the iCloud setup pane pop in one-by-one.

IMG_4775.JPG

New "shared" sidebar item in Finder. Not sure what it does.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.39.39 PM.png

I poked through Safari's settings. For now at least, you're gonna have to learn to live with the whole "address bar / tab" combination thing. There's no option right now to get a dedicated address bar.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.48.51 PM.png

You can, however, still show the full website URL in the address field. It's a bit cramped now though.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.49.33 PM.png

Some screenshots of the new password manager in Safari. RIP 1Password...

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.50.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.50.15 PM.png

Setup screen for Mail, prompting to block tracking.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.41.28 PM.png

New category of widgets called "Find My". Here are the two widgets that category has:

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 8.46.47 PM.png

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON

Can't make everything a priority.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Pop-up when doing AirPlay from my iPhone to my iMac. I didn't screen shot it, but the entire screen shows a pairing pin when you click "accept".

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.44.01 AM.png

Streaming Deezer for iOS to my Mac. The latency is about 300ms. It's a little faster than most 3rd party AirPlay receiver apps I've tried, but not by much. I'm also not sure what the icon in the lower right corner of the album art is supposed to be -- it might be a placeholder.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.47.39 AM.png

Private Relays settings in iCloud account settings. I have the 99 cent per month 50GB plan. I'm not sure if free accounts will also get access to this. Note: I never saw the "iCloud+" branding anywhere in the settings themselves, so I guess maybe that term is only used for marketing reasons?

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.32.35 AM.png

New email privacy settings, also under iCloud settings as part of iCloud+. if you've ever used "Sign In with Apple" when making an account on a site or app and chose the option to hide your email, this settings pane summarizes all the existing services you're already obfuscating your email from.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.33.26 AM.png

A closer look at the new Focus options in DND settings. This was already explained in the keynote pretty well.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.38.03 AM.png

Stock Apple wallpapers are actually hosted in the cloud now. The only wallpapers my system had pre-downloaded were for macOS Big Sur and Monterey. I upgraded from Big Sur, so maybe that's why. There's also unfortunately a *ton* of wallpapers removed since Big Sur, so hopefully thats temporary or we get more? If not, this site has an ongoing archive of all wallpapers in their original quality, since Apple has been gradually giving the ax to these over the years.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 12.35.48 AM.png

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
New "shared" sidebar item in Finder. Not sure what it does.

View attachment 1789797

I poked through Safari's settings. For now at least, you're gonna have to learn to live with the whole "address bar / tab" combination thing. There's no option right now to get a dedicated address bar.
Many thanks for the detailed post.

Apple said the 'Shared' folder is, in essence, a tag for any documents or folders that you share with people on iCloud Drive.

I would also be surprised if Apple didn't add an option in Safari to return to the now 'classic' layout, if there's enough push-back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.