Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Hi Pete, may I ask you how you do this step? I feel so dumb as I haven't yet managed to figure out how to migrate existing accounts in my MS Authenticator app. I don't see any QR code for any existing accounts there.
I migrated from OTP Auth recently I used the "secrets" for each item and manually added them (in my case to Step Two app).

Does Monterey support manually adding 2FA items using secrets?

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 14.39.11.png

Has anyone noticed the download buttons on the wallpapers? More wallpapers coming through the release of Monterey perhaps?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
View attachment 1790014
Has anyone noticed the download buttons on the wallpapers? More wallpapers coming through the release of Monterey perhaps?
Maybe more, but I'd suggest a more practical reason is that it's just another way to save disk space.

Downloading content on demand is not exactly a new thing, and the 'Desktop Pictures' directory on Big Sur is already over 1 GB. Given that a lot of people are never going to use any of those, it's kind of weird that they're only doing it now. I guess the adoption of really high resolutions, dark/light mode combinations and dynamic wallpapers has ballooned out their sizes.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Is it still possible to disable loading remote content in Mail? How do the new privacy settings look like?

3rik

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
There is a new "Communication" section in Screen Time
Also some of the icons have changed
Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 14.34.10.png

The shortcuts app means you can finally control your HomeKit devices from within the menu bar without a 3rd party app

1623242206276.png

Control Center with Video Effects and Mic Mode (appears when mic or camera is in use)

1623242568314.png

3rik

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
Can you place low power mode toggle in the control centre or is it buried in the system preferences?
Looks like its buried in the system preferences sadly. It also doesn't appear as an option in the battery widget in the menu bar, it does however tell you in there if low power mode is enabled.

1623243457913.png

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 14.48.01.png

Not sure if this is an intended change or a bug but the menu bar in full screen is now black. You also now have the option to show it permanently when in full screen.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Safari's toolbar also doesn't move down, instead it's empty titlebar.
Yes it's all very buggy at the moment. With autohide of the menu bar turned off, you get two sets of traffic lights appearing when you mouse to the menu bar.

I'm hoping they just show the traffic lights permanently on full screen windows. It's so unintuitive to have to mouse up to the menu bar to find them, especially when the menu bar is persistent.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I see some disappointment in this thread there isn't more exciting new stuff in this release. But can't that be a good thing? We always complain about bugs and stability. If the final release of Monterey is boring butt stable, I'll be super happy.
What were you generally expecting? I don't mean that to sound facetious.

Not every update is going to be as obvious a change as Big Sur was.

I would say that so far, in using Monterey for a day or two, it has just about as many changes as any other macOS release in years past, but Apple just didn't list it very exhaustively. A lot of it is building incrementally on what Big Sur started.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
What were you generally expecting? I don't mean that to sound facetious.

Not every update is going to be as obvious a change as Big Sur was.

I would say that so far, in using Monterey for a day or two, it has just about as many changes as any other macOS release in years past, but Apple just didn't list it very exhaustively. A lot of it is building incrementally on what Big Sur started.
Totally agree. The big changes since Mac OS X was released have been:

Leopard (2007)
Lion (2011)
Yosemite (2014)
Big Sur (2020)

Having said that there's more in terms of new features in Monterey than say Mountain Lion or High Sierra - all the FaceTime stuff, redesigned Safari, Shortcuts and Quick Notes to name a few.

There's also still a lot of low hanging fruit for macOS such as the antiquated LaunchPad and just general window management which could be so much better, hopefully these will be addressed over the next few releases.

Last edited:

3rik

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
How stable is the first beta? Good for a DD minus some expected annoyances?
been fairly stable for me. had some issues with the shortcut app not opening after being closed, force quit fixed that. airplaying songs doesn't work that well, and safari is a bit buggy sometimes with closing tabs

no crashes or anything major yet though

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
been fairly stable for me. had some issues with the shortcut app not opening after being closed, force quit fixed that. airplaying songs doesn't work that well, and safari is a bit buggy sometimes with closing tabs

no crashes or anything major yet though
Really, just want to jump on it, because (for not the first time) considering switching from Chrome to Safari on macOS. Would love to get my bookmarks and all tabs/tab groups in sync b/w macOS, iPhone, and iPad!

However, of course, every time I try to switch to Safari on mac, like I ddid about 6 months ago, I remember what a pile of garbage Safari really is. Referring to this as an example: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-webpage-is-using-significant-energy.2185403/
Can you tell me if this has been fixed????

Thanks

3rik

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
Really, just want to jump on it, because (for not the first time) considering switching from Chrome to Safari on macOS. Would love to get my bookmarks and all tabs/tab groups in sync b/w macOS, iPhone, and iPad!

However, of course, every time I try to switch to Safari on mac, like I ddid about 6 months ago, I remember what a pile of garbage Safari really is. Referring to this as an example: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-webpage-is-using-significant-energy.2185403/
Can you tell me if this has been fixed????

Thanks
yeah, I found that and the similar message regarding ram really annoying too

I haven't had that pop up at all since I installed the beta, I can't confirm though if that's just luck or if the "feature" is actually gone

Reactions: k.alexander

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
yeah, I found that and the similar message regarding ram really annoying too

I haven't had that pop up at all since I installed the beta, I can't confirm though if that's just luck or if the "feature" is actually gone
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Update here or on the other thread your experience on this "feature" over the next few days.

Honestly, the new Safari is the main reason I'm having a hard time waiting to install the beta on my mac; running iOS and iPadOS 15 on my mobile devices. Safari is ok on the iPhone, seems a bit more buggy, but not terrible for beta 1, on iPad. Can you give some more feedback on Safari on mac in this beta? Thanks

3rik

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Update here or on the other thread your experience on this "feature" over the next few days.

Honestly, the new Safari is the main reason I'm having a hard time waiting to install the beta on my mac; running iOS and iPadOS 15 on my mobile devices. Safari is ok on the iPhone, seems a bit more buggy, but not terrible for beta 1, on iPad. Can you give some more feedback on Safari on mac in this beta? Thanks
Okay, ill mention you if it appears for me :)
Ill set a reminder too to let you know in a week if it doesn't

Pretty much the only bug ive encountered is that the "x" button on tabs sometimes doesn't appear when I hover over them to close them. Other than its been fine!

Reactions: k.alexander

petekjohnson

macrumors member
May 24, 2012
Springfield, MO
I migrated from OTP Auth recently I used the "secrets" for each item and manually added them (in my case to Step Two app).

Does Monterey support manually adding 2FA items using secrets?
I don't THINK so. All I really know is how to do it with QR codes, whether that is scanning them on my phone to trigger the process, or displaying them IN SAFARI in order to right-click them and choose "Set Up Verification Code". Nothing I can find anywhere in the password settings dialogs gives any indication that you can use secrets.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.19.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.19.44 PM.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 145

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Has anyone noticed any U.I alterations?

Apple showed some UI tweaks during the “What’s new in AppKit” session. Toolbar-button sizes are slightly different, sliders and pop-overs have different animations, table-view sections have increased spacing, and push buttons are no longer blue (or your chosen accent colour) if you click on/press them. Apple also added a new version of SF Symbols which allow for more colourful icon options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.