Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TechAndOSWorld

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2018
Slovakia
iOS 15 was not popular, iOS 13 was not popular. The reason was because there was no customization. Almost every gen-z updated to Big Sur since they liked the redesign.
according to the internet, I'm a Gen-Z myself, and I don't think this is true at all. I know like 3 people who upgraded to Big Sur because they liked the design. But everyone else stayed on Catalina, because they either heard horror stories about macOS 11, or, like me, had awful experiences with it. I upgraded my main machine to Big Sur three times, and always reverted back to Catalina (even downgraded my MacBook from sur to Mojave after a few months).

In fact, most Gen-Z "kids" I know don't even bother with updating their devices.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
according to the internet, I'm a Gen-Z myself, and I don't think this is true at all. I know like 3 people who upgraded to Big Sur because they liked the design. But everyone else stayed on Catalina, because they either heard horror stories about macOS 11, or, like me, had awful experiences with it. I upgraded my main machine to Big Sur three times, and always reverted back to Catalina (even downgraded my MacBook from sur to Mojave after a few months).

In fact, most Gen-Z "kids" I know don't even bother with updating their devices.
all of this is ridiculous. opinions and anecdotes are no substitution for real-world numbers... and there's no 'one rule' for all gen-z (or any gen) group. some people update, some don't; some buy new devices, some have android phones & PCs.

anyway, back to the topic of this thread. am having some issues with command-up arrow getting back to the top of the page (in safari, anyway).

mostly, so far... beta 1 has been surprisingly fast and stable. but who knows what surprises await in beta 2? 🤣...

Reactions: Brachaci

TechAndOSWorld

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2018
Slovakia
mostly, so far... beta 1 has been surprisingly fast and stable. but who knows what surprises await in beta 2? 🤣...
that's true, but it can get worse... Mojave DB2 was somehow less stable, and felt slower than DB1.
(btw, I don't recommend messing with Login Items in Sonoma Beta 1, cause afaik, that's when my Mac began boot-looping)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
that's true, but it can get worse... Mojave DB2 was somehow less stable, and felt slower than DB1.
(btw, I don't recommend messing with Login Items in Sonoma Beta 1, cause afaik, that's when my Mac began boot-looping)
my personal observation is... beta development is never a straight line forward, but a roller coaster; some things get fixed, others break... & life goes on...

Reactions: nortonandreev

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
iOS 15 was not popular, iOS 13 was not popular. The reason was because there was no customization. Almost every gen-z updated to Big Sur since they liked the redesign.
So Mac OS classic with Kaleidoscope is the most popular with Gen Z?
I'm not Gen Z, but we loved customization back then. To me it feels like Gen Z doesn't care about customization and only wants non-design (minimalism).

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
From my viewpoint this is probably the easiest, most bug free first beta installation I have ever experienced.....that is probably the kiss of death!!🤪
I agree!!

I just installed on an M1 Mac mini and it's running great.

Now I'm afraid to install DB 2, haha!!

Reactions: imlovinit

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
It’s beta, but I’m still salty that my iPhone widgets don’t show up on my Mac.
1686422099063.jpeg

adrteo

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2019
Singapore
After the animation starts on the Lock screen, the screen goes black after 3 or 4 seconds. Moving the mouse or hitting a key brings it back again. I presume this is a bug but would be keen to know if anyone has found a solution/workaround.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Just installed the beta tonight and just out the gate I'm liking it. It's all been stable so far *knock on wood* I really love the new lock screen design and options. Hopefully, we'll get more customization for the text just like iOS. Not a lot I can say on any dislikes as I haven't experienced much but digging the stage manager option and safari profiles too.

samjohnsonweb

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
I installed last night and have only got a black wallpaper. The login screen is the standard Sonoma wallpaper, but once it reaches desktop it goes to black. The system settings just show a constant loading screen for the wallpaper, and I can't click on any of them.

Apart from that it's running pretty smooth. Ironically the new wallpapers were the main reason I risked the upgrade 👀

tempImageb0QKY9.jpg

Reactions: iAppleOrchard

Vinpolar

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Spotlight on my Mac went haywire - tried reindexing the drive and whatnot, but mds_stores crashes a lot.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Just installed the beta tonight and just out the gate I'm liking it. It's all been stable so far *knock on wood* I really love the new lock screen design and options. Hopefully, we'll get more customization for the text just like iOS. Not a lot I can say on any dislikes as I haven't experienced much but digging the stage manager option and safari profiles too.
What's the stage manager option? Is this new?

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
What's the stage manager option? Is this new?
Under Desktop & Dock, there is a stage manager option that's better than before with the strip option on the desktop. Never used stage manger previously so I'm liking this current one.

EDITED: to clarify

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
Is it possible to install the Sonoma Beta inside a Parallels vm from the ipsw files?
I've found some suggestion it is possible, but unclear how.
Failing that, if I install the current version in Parallels, I assume I could update that to the beta afterwards?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Is it possible to install the Sonoma Beta inside a Parallels vm from the ipsw files?
I've found some suggestion it is possible, but unclear how.
Failing that, if I install the current version in Parallels, I assume I could update that to the beta afterwards?
That’s where I’m at right now. I’ve got a current version of macOS installed in a Parallels VM, but I’m unable to sign into iCloud, which apparently is a known issue? If I was able to sign into my iCloud account, it would recognize my Dev Account and then presumably present the option for macOS 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.