Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Hey @cocky jeremy 👋 Ocushield screen protectors do not give off a yellow'ish tint to the screen. They have been designed to allow you to see all of the true colours your screen intends to show, all while protecting from harmful blue light!
How is that possible? If you're blocking "54%" of blue light in the 400 to 470nm range, which is in the visible range of the human eye, how are you doing that without changing the color of the image?

The only way to do that would be to block the same 54% of the entire visible spectrum, and therefore make the screen 54% less bright.

gizmo8500

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2005
Please do provide us with research papers that show iPhone screens produce enough "harmful blue light" to cause an increase of eye issues such as age related macular degeneration.

And please provide us with research papers that show that there's a difference between "harmful" blue light and "natural blue light from the sun".

I only want to absorb organically emitted natural light from ethically and sustainable sources!

DhruvinPatel

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
I did some additional research. At a minimum, this company is illegally using FDA registration.

"Firms that misleadingly display certificates alongside information about and photos of a device for sale in the United States to imply review or approval by FDA of the device misbrand the device in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act." Source: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...dical-devices-how-do-i-know-what-fda-approved

This calls into question MacRumors journalistic integrity in supporting a company like this.
Hey @PolkaGuy6000! Dhruvin here, the founder of Ocushield!

We appreciate your diligence in researching this matter and expressing your concerns.

Rest assured, our FDA registration is legitimate, and you can verify it directly through the FDA's official database here.

Maintaining compliance and transparency is paramount to us. We are committed to upholding the highest standards in both our products and marketing practices. If there have been any misunderstandings, we're here to address them openly and transparently.

Your feedback is valuable to us, and we want to ensure that you have accurate information and trust in our brand.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns, thanks!

DhruvinPatel

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
How is that possible? If you're blocking "54%" of blue light in the 400 to 470nm range, which is in the visible range of the human eye, how are you doing that without changing the color of the image?

The only way to do that would be to block the same 54% of the entire visible spectrum, and therefore make the screen 54% less bright.
Hey @NorCalLights, Dhruvin here, founder of Ocushield!

I understand where the confusion might come from, our screen protectors are engineered with a specific goal: to reduce exposure to harmful blue light without altering the colour accuracy of your device’s display.

The technology behind them targets only the blue light wavelengths between 400 and 460nm, which are the most detrimental to our eyes, and filters them out.

This selective filtration is key. It’s not about blocking a flat percentage of all visible light, but rather, about being smart in what we filter. By focusing on the harmful range, our filters manage to maintain the vibrancy and brightness of your screen. Similarly to how polarised lenses in sunglasses block harmful UV rays without compromising visibility.

This allows the screen protector to do its job effectively without dimming your screen or skewing the colours you expect to see.

In essence, Ocushield provides a protective barrier against blue light that’s both effective and unobtrusive, ensuring that your digital experience remains safe and as designed by the manufacturer—bright, colourful, and clear. I hope this helps!

Reactions: ronntaylor

Graphate

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
Hey @PolkaGuy6000! Dhruvin here, the founder of Ocushield!

We appreciate your diligence in researching this matter and expressing your concerns.

Rest assured, our FDA registration is legitimate, and you can verify it directly through the FDA's official database here.

Maintaining compliance and transparency is paramount to us. We are committed to upholding the highest standards in both our products and marketing practices. If there have been any misunderstandings, we're here to address them openly and transparently.

Your feedback is valuable to us, and we want to ensure that you have accurate information and trust in our brand.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns, thanks!
I read @PolkaGuy6000’s concern as it wasn’t that your registration (i.e. you provided your name and address to the FDA), was legitimate or not, it’s that you’re over-puffing what the FDA registration means. After all you’re advertising that you’re blocking UV light from the iPhone, which is at worst misleading and at best unhelpful.

And I think it is safe to assume these screen protectors contain chemicals in the family and similar in function to PFAS?

Also anyone want to bet @DhruvinPatel is going to trademark “harmful blue light”?

Reactions: PolkaGuy6000

PolkaGuy6000

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
Rest assured, our FDA registration is legitimate
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it has no meaning. FDA specifically warns against people like you:
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...dical-devices-how-do-i-know-what-fda-approved

Great news! I've submitted my registration. I don't make any products or have any experience in the healtcare industry, but soon you and I will be on the same footing!

While I don't think anything you said was an all-out lie, it's misleading and deceptive. You are eroding trust in the medical community and making me not trust optometrists. Maybe I should delay that annual eye exam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.