Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brunkster

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
mkrishnan said:
The next Office is coming out for MacOS too... out of curiosity, why do you want to run it in Vista?

EDIT: Somehow, I find the palettes much more appealing than this, though... :(

I work in a graphic arts firm that often has to create presentations for our clients. We design on the Mac, but due to inconsistencies in PC PowerPoint versus Mac PowerPoint, we only create the graphics in OS X, then import them into a PC PowerPoint application to create it. Too many funky issues if we don't.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
brunkster said:
I work in a graphic arts firm that often has to create presentations for our clients. We design on the Mac, but due to inconsistencies in PC PowerPoint versus Mac PowerPoint, we only create the graphics in OS X, then import them into a PC PowerPoint application to create it. Too many funky issues if we don't.

That's definitely understandable... recently, I actually even had a minor issue with Word (where a document that had a number of sub-documents, and was about 60 pages in overall length, came out one page different in length when opened on Windows, and, for stupid reasons, this couldn't fly). It's rare that there are Word issues, and I've never heard of Excel issues.

But I am very wary of using Powerpoint files made on one platform on the other platform. :(

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Never played around with the make movie feature in PowerPoint 2004, but I would like it to become a little more like the keynote version with the option of Interactive Movie or Self Playing. This must also be implemented on the Windows version, even if Microsoft eventually insist on mov for Mac and wmv for Windows.

To me this is what makes Keynote a great app. Once the presentation is complete you have a few options:
1. Keep it as a keynote presentation and hope there is a Mac available with Keynote.
2. Save it as a PowerPoint presentation and hope that it doesn't get formatted to lose any 3D transitions.
3. Save as Quicktime and have nearly no compatibility issues with pretty much any platform.

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
in truth, i will probably never use this, so really, i do think it is ugly but then again, its microsoft so... i don't care :) by the time this comes out i will have left school meaning i will have no need to go on a PC... also, the school would never get the latest software... only just got office 2003....

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
People don't waste your money on it. Microsoft Office any version is a POS app that deserves nothing. Office and its variants cause more headaches in my world (graphic arts) then another application. I refuse to gave MS money because their apps are a pain in the ass to to use and get what you want out of them. After I wasted the company money on Office 98 for Mac, never again will I use MS products. If you must have compatability with Office stuff, use NeoOffice. It works fine, esspecially on newer Macs. It is Office that has created this attitude of "I can create that". Yea right, overburden the user with a zillion options and confusing interface, that is MS's way of doing things.:D

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
If you're a heavy user of Excel, you might like to know that Excel 2007 will have 1 million rows and 16k columns, a massive upgrade in spreadsheet space. There will be other small changes as well, not all cosmetic. Most Excel users, however, will not need or care about them. Excel 2007 will also introduce a new file format. These larger spreadsheet might not be backwards compatable, so files might not be saved with a XLS extension as the default option. For now I'm good with Excel 2003, not sure if I'd like the ribbon.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I've actually been using a copy of Office 2007 for the past few months now, and I actually like it.

There are a lot of improvements over the previous version. Once you get used to the layout you'll actually realize that there is much less clicking involved to do many tasks, and the navigation is much simpler.

I also like the way they were able to make an interface where you can still have all the toolbars you'd want, but they would take up much less space. For example in Word on my 22" monitor, with all the toolbars I needed showing, I wasn't able to see the whole document on the screen. Now on the same zoom with the same toolbars I can.

Another useful feature that I've used a lot is the option to save as a PDF. I'm not sure why it took them so long to implement this feature.

So basically there are some new features that are nice, but the best improvement to me is the speed. The whole office suite just feels a lot snappier.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
Being a student, the upcoming release of Office has actually caught my attention.

In fact, I hesitated before purchasing my MacBook Pro because I thought I would be unable to run Office 2007 (and, of course, Windows Vista...)

Now with Bootcamp out, my interest in Office 2007 has again returned. The concept behind the new User Interface is pretty solid; the "ribbon" sounds pretty cool.

Until I saw this screenshot, released today...

http://officeblogs.net/UI/WordVista.png

Isn't that...ugly? What are your thoughts?

this is sorta what i expected. an overly shiny eye candy interface surrounded by more fluff. i used to call these sort of things ugly, but that implies that microsoft has ever made something that was anything but ugly. impossible i know

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I really like office:mac 2004 and I'd certainly be interested in 2007 as I can get it cheap thorugh work.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
DaveTheRave said:
If you're a heavy user of Excel, you might like to know that Excel 2007 will have 1 million rows and 16k columns, a massive upgrade in spreadsheet space.

Wow, finally. It's about time that the most popular data processing application can handle more than 65536 rows and columns :p

skibob1027

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
ITASOR said:
I wouldn't say it's "ugly" as much as it is "different". Word has had the same look/menus/locations of things forever. I guess they felt that they needed a change to match all those awesome changes in Vista.

How do you go about getting a copy of a beta version of Vista? I would like to check it out.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I think it looks kinda nice.

But, really, who cares about how it looks as long as it works? At least it's not as ugly or cluttered as this.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
brunkster said:

I always have that problem with PowerPoint at school... it never shows images right (says something about quicktime). That's why I run a WINE-emulated version of Office 2003 on my Linux box and use 2003 viewer at school.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
mkrishnan said:
The next Office is coming out for MacOS too... out of curiosity, why do you want to run it in Vista?

EDIT: Somehow, I find the palettes much more appealing than this, though... :(

When it comes to VBA programming I prefer the Windows version. Plus you have support for ActiveX controls and a broader object library to work with.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
calyxman said:
When it comes to VBA programming I prefer the Windows version. Plus you have support for ActiveX controls and a broader object library to work with.

That's a good point.... Mmmm, I hope that parallels gets a lot better for you, or WINE or something else picks up where Parallels left off, and you'll be running Windows Office on top of MacOS next year! :)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
JFreak said:
Wow, finally. It's about time that the most popular data processing application can handle more than 65536 rows and columns :p
As someone who used to work for Microsoft delivering technical support for Excel, let me state the following:

Excel is NOT a "data processing application". It's a spreadsheet application. If you want data processing, get Access, FoxPro, or SQL Server, or some other database application (like Oracle).

Personally, I'm against going to 1M rows and 16K columns... for starters, this will break backwards compatibility with older versions of Excel. Secondly, how are cell references going to look when there are THAT many columns and rows? Assuming that 16K = 16384 and that 1M = 1,000,000, the bottom-rightmost cell in a worksheet would have an address of XFD1000000 (compare to the current value of IV65536).

Yikes.

(And nadyne is correct. The next version of Office specifically for the Mac will be Office 2008 or something.)

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Piarco75 said:
With them and Frontpage in Mac Office 2007
Ack! FrontPage! Microsoft should abolish both FrontPage and Publisher, two of the worst applications ever written. I can't think of any Web app that generates worse code than FrontPage (except maybe GoLive 5 or iWeb) and Publisher is the bane of any real graphic designer's or professional printer's existence.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Nadyne, will the next version of Office for the Mac sport the Ribbon interface?

I feel its the way forward. I personally am not a fan of palettes

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
FYI - from the MS Office for Mac website:

---
Q. Will you re-release Office 2004 for Intel-based Macs?

A. No. There are no plans to re-release Office 2004. With Rosetta, Office 2004 runs well on Intel-based Macs.

Q. When will the next version of Office for Mac be available?

A. The next version of Office for Mac is under development, and we typically release a new version every two to three years. {continued}
---
My commentary:
"Runs well": Yeah, right. Emulate *this* Bill Gates. (appropriate hand gesture)
"Two to Three Years": So a new version is under development now, which we can assume is Office '07, right? Maybe the Mac version of Office will be released four or five months after the PC/Vista version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.