Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'm guessing it'll get fixed in a next major build (maybe 17.1, maybe 17.0.3)? 17.0.2 was weird in that it was released today for almost all devices, but has been out for iPhone 15/15 Pro since last Thursday, alongside 17.0.1. That seems like way too short of a turnaround for it to get fixed.

I'm guessing if you really want to see progress, get on the public beta cycle and then see if/when it appears there?

Reactions: Jumpie

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I'm guessing it'll get fixed in a next major build (maybe 17.1, maybe 17.0.3)? 17.0.2 was weird in that it was released today for almost all devices, but has been out for iPhone 15/15 Pro since last Thursday, alongside 17.0.1. That seems like way too short of a turnaround for it to get fixed.

I'm guessing if you really want to see progress, get on the public beta cycle and then see if/when it appears there?
I'm a developer who is on the public beta cycle and development build cycle.
Frankly, it worked as one would expect during the BETA build releases and it wasn't until the public release that they broke it.

AM2354

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2020
Frankly, it worked as one would expect during the BETA build releases and it wasn't until the public release that they broke it.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
It looks like Apple has changed the file format used for notification sounds.

On iOS 16 and older, both ringtones and notification tones were .m4r files, essentially AAC files with a different file extension.

On iOS 17, ringtones are still .m4r files, but all the notification tones are .caf files. For some reason the new ones all have 'EncoreInfinitum' in the filename as well.

I wonder if this change has something to do with custom tones not showing up any more.

View attachment 2271639
Strange that this wasn’t an issue on all of the iOS 17 betas all summer.

Reactions: whsbuss

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Well ios17.1 beta could be the first effort to fix this.
Seems like a long turnaround for something like this. My Mom even texted me asking why her custom tone for me wasn't listed anymore. She saw it on my Contact Card but then when she went to try another one to test and then go back to her custom tone, it's gone... Maybe us "tech savvy" folks here in these forums would understand that this might be a bug or that Apple might fix this, but at least one 75 year old woman thinks Apple just doesn't want that as an option because she did the update and Apple removed it. I told her it's probably a bug, she said yeah sure.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
My apologies on that—thanks for your work so far! It seems that there was a lot of "why didn't Apple fix _" posts with iOS 17.0.2 today, even though it's been out for a few days for 15/15 Pro users. My guess is that it was released so that all devices are on similar builds going forward, which may help track progress of this.

Then again, I've been following the Apple Watch battery drain/Weather issues and the Series 9/Ultra 2 got 10.0.2 today, while the others are on 10.0.1. 10.0.2 doesn't seem to have really fixed the Weather issue, but I'm betting we'll see a similar "this didn't work" once they bring all the other Watch models into the same release cycle.

It feels a bit weird, as there have always been device-specific updates with new devices, but generally Apple has skipped that release for everyone else.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
I gave them some feedback, and I wasn't nice. :confused:

Also, does anyone else notice that the iOS version drop-down on the feedback page never lists the current iOS version? It's always behind. Today, the latest version is 17.0 (yesterday, it was 16.6):

Apple_feedback_iOS_version.JPG

Anyway, I'm going to try the HowToGeek method to see if I can get the tones back on the phone - it's how I got them on there to start with, 3-4 years ago. I use a bunch of old BlackBerry tones for emails, texts, meeting announcements, etc. (I used a Curve 8900 from 2009-2013) because they're very short, versus Apple's long and generally annoying tones.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
This seems like an easy bug for for Apple to fix. In the meantime, there is a workaround that a lot of people have verified works: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/16pirg3 . I've verified it works on iOS 17.0.1.
It’s great that a workaround does work, but only us geeks would be able to or even attempt this. If this was never an issue in all the iOS17 betas then something Apple changed for whatever reason caused it. As I tell many I know who complain about this, submit feedback to Apple.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
All of my custom (self-made) tones are still on my phone as ringtones - all that needs to be done is let us choose ringtones as alert tones again, a la pre-iOS17RC
Not me. All of mine are totally gone.

805/PW

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
SoCal
Any reason (other than profit from selling their own lame tunes) why Apple couldn't simply establish a master "tone list" that could be used for ringtones, text message alerts, and for other apps with alerts?I

rmcomer

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
iOS 17.1 beta 1 has removed the new tones and allows use of custom alerts again. I would imagine they will add the new sounds back in a later beta to use in addition to the custom sounds. Hopefully they are making all the new tones louder.
I can finally assign my custom text messages tones to specific contacts.

Reactions: ecschwarz

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
The new iOS 17.1 beta seems to have rolled back the sounds to the way they were before as the new sounds are gone and custom tones work. I wouldn't consider it fixed until the new sounds are re-added without breaking anything else but it's looking positive.
Progress!

MacGreenPath

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
The new iOS 17.1 beta seems to have rolled back the sounds to the way they were before as the new sounds are gone and custom tones work. I wouldn't consider it fixed until the new sounds are re-added without breaking anything else but it's looking positive.

I agree. But it is a really positive sign that Apple rolled things back, because it suggests that the change to not allow custom text tones was either accidental (my assumption) or they are rethinking that change. How hard could it be to add the new ringtones/alert tones and also allow people to select custom text tones?

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
I agree. But it is a really positive sign that Apple rolled things back, because it suggests that the change to not allow custom text tones was either accidental (my assumption) or they are rethinking that change. How hard could it be to add the new ringtones/alert tones and also allow people to select custom text tones?
Apple had already split the branch of 17.1 off before the 17.0RC released. More than likely they will have the new tones merged back in, in beta 2 or 3.

AM2354

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2020
They are back! Just did the latest update and my tones are back and working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.