Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
And both of those seasons will be over in a couple of weeks while baseball will continue through the dog days of summer.

See I manged to talk about all 3 in one sentence. 😂
And then during the summer, I have to listen to nonstop talk on sports radio about NFL training camps and preseason games and stuff like that, which frankly, I couldn't care less about. Don't get me wrong, I like my NY Giants. But it's like spring training in baseball. I don't need to hear about it everyday constantly. Just tell me if someone is injured and move on.

I need to see if there's a radio station exclusively about baseball talk on Sirius XM, I just signed up for that recently.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Fellow Giants fans: am I the only one who was never convinced by Camilo Doval? Blowing a 4 run lead in Pittsburgh last night is yet another datapoint on his overall ineffectiveness.

I mean, not every closer is going to be Robb Nen or Rod Beck, and Doval isn't exactly prime Armando Benitez in terms of sheer combustibility, but he's not quite good enough or consistent enough to be a top closer.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Fellow Giants fans: am I the only one who was never convinced by Camilo Doval? Blowing a 4 run lead in Pittsburgh last night is yet another datapoint on his overall ineffectiveness.

I mean, not every closer is going to be Robb Nen or Rod Beck, and Doval isn't exactly prime Armando Benitez in terms of sheer combustibility, but he's not quite good enough or consistent enough to be a top closer.
Same.

Frankly I'm not convinced by anyone on this team, Melvin included. lol.

Reactions: Silencio

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Snell... meh. Injured.

$113mil OF Lee also injured and out for the season.

Ooooof. Snell's off years can be quite bad, and the lack of spring training really put him in a hole.

At least Chapman is hitting the cover off the ball and picking it at third. Some big plays by him in the Giants' much-needed win last night.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
No one has won Rookie Of The Year and Cy Young in the same year since 1981, and Luis Gil is going to take a crack at this this year. It's early though, but almost a third of the season is done so it's not like I'm overreacting the second week of April.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Snell... meh. Injured.

$113mil OF Lee also injured and out for the season.

As an impartial observer, what I see is the Giants repeating the same mistakes of the past, not aided by the expectations of their fandom, in expecting the road to success to come through free agency.

That was personified by signing Bonds, and trying to build enough of a team around him to get over the hump, which they almost did, but ultimately losing to the Angels. Even if they had managed to land Ohtani, I suspect it would might well have turned out to be a repeat of that situation. Or, as it turned out, Judge, who was never truly an option, and played everyone like a boss.

By contrast, their remarkable run of success in the early 2010s was fueled by drafting well, developing players from the farm system, and filling in the gaps with wily vets and other role players who provided just the right amount of what was needed, and made it a complete team.

It seems that the plan to bring in the ex-Dodgers exec, and hope that he would be able to resurrect and restock the farm system hasn't worked out, with their prospects failing to deliver, so the urgency and focus has shifted to free agents, who for myriad reasons (injury, inability to sign the 1st class players, etc.) haven't worked out either.

A team like the Dodgers, with enough money, and talent, can make the free agent strategy work (at least up until it really counts in the playoffs, cough). But few teams are like the Dodgers, and the Giants are not one of them.

That, in combination with the "castoffs/spare parts/cheap hidden gems" strategy, has resulted in mediocrity, with no identifiable stars to root for, and the constant churn of players making it hard to develop any loyalty to the team. A sharp contrast from the home-grown core that formed the nucleus of that three ring run that now dates a decade back.

And last, but certainly not least, having a manager like Bochy also paid dividends.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
As an impartial observer, what I see is the Giants repeating the same mistakes of the past, not aided by the expectations of their fandom, in expecting the road to success to come through free agency.

That was personified by signing Bonds, and trying to build enough of a team around him to get over the hump, which they almost did, but ultimately losing to the Angels. Even if they had managed to land Ohtani, I suspect it would might well have turned out to be a repeat of that situation. Or, as it turned out, Judge, who was never truly an option, and played everyone like a boss.

By contrast, their remarkable run of success in the early 2010s was fueled by drafting well, developing players from the farm system, and filling in the gaps with wily vets and other role players who provided just the right amount of what was needed, and made it a complete team.

It seems that the plan to bring in the ex-Dodgers exec, and hope that he would be able to resurrect and restock the farm system hasn't worked out, with their prospects failing to deliver, so the urgency and focus has shifted to free agents, who for myriad reasons (injury, inability to sign the 1st class players, etc.) haven't worked out either.

A team like the Dodgers, with enough money, and talent, can make the free agent strategy work (at least up until it really counts in the playoffs, cough). But few teams are like the Dodgers, and the Giants are not one of them.

That, in combination with the "castoffs/spare parts/cheap hidden gems" strategy, has resulted in mediocrity, with no identifiable stars to root for, and the constant churn of players making it hard to develop any loyalty to the team. A sharp contrast from the home-grown core that formed the nucleus of that three ring run that now dates a decade back.

And last, but certainly not least, having a manager like Bochy also paid dividends.
yup

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Ooooof. Snell's off years can be quite bad, and the lack of spring training really put him in a hole.

At least Chapman is hitting the cover off the ball and picking it at third. Some big plays by him in the Giants' much-needed win last night.
Matos, Ramos may be coming of age as well...

Wade Jr. has been pretty solid at the plate ...

I'm starting to have hope... ***insert Shawshank Redemption quote about hope***

:)

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Zaidi has at least improved the Giants' farm system pretty dramatically. Lots of good young pitching coming through, with hopefully more position players coming up and making it stick.

Drafting and developing the core of your team is the only way to win in SF. Even Barry Bonds was an outlier, with his obvious ties to the area and organization before being drafted by the Pirates.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
fksecdr.png

sLAeYNO.png

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Zaidi has at least improved the Giants' farm system pretty dramatically. Lots of good young pitching coming through, with hopefully more position players coming up and making it stick.

Drafting and developing the core of your team is the only way to win in SF. Even Barry Bonds was an outlier, with his obvious ties to the area and organization before being drafted by the Pirates.
Seriously, if I were him I'd send every scout out looking for pitching. Nothing but pitching.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Angel Hernandez announced his retirement. Finally.

The end of an error ;)
Well, he lost his discrimination lawsuit, was injured and out for most of last season. He had already made some of his usual questionable calls since coming back. It's way past time for this final step.

So now, who assumes the mantle of the game's worst umpire? Joe West is gone, so that probably leaves Laz Diaz as the wearer of that dubious crown.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He had already made some of his usual questionable calls since coming back. It's way past time for this final step.
No matter what baseball site/page/content there was a surprising amount of content was lambasting him. I think fan outrage over his horrible officiating was getting back to him and MLB. I half wonder if MLB offered a package for him to walk away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.