Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is interesting.

I find this to be interesting news, IF in fact it is true. Since I questioned the reliability of these Panther GM reports ever since they started appearing, I'm not confident that this is true either. It does mean that Panther's release date might be announced soon, which to me is GREAT news. All the earlier I can get a G5 w/ Panther!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yep,

hard to say if it's true... or just the same info making the rounds..

we'll see.

arn

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maybe it will be a launch for the windows version of itunes. apple will hype that way more than panther.

iJon

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
Well I hope panther is announced soon for purchase and such. I am a current ADC member and we have yet to be seeded with these new builds.. I know i'll get it for free but im still willing to pay for it to support apple.. well I hope these are true and shortly the new builds are seeded to ADC members, Panther is great... unsanity and iconfactory are already working to have their great applications work inconjunction with panther...

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by sickracer2015
Well I hope panther is announced soon for purchase and such. I am a current ADC member and we have yet to be seeded with these new builds.. I know i'll get it for free but im still willing to pay for it to support apple.. well I hope these are true and shortly the new builds are seeded to ADC members, Panther is great... unsanity and iconfactory are already working to have their great applications work inconjunction with panther...

Can student ADC members download beta seeds too? I couldn't find them on their site when I logged in.

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Can student ADC members download beta seeds too? I couldn't find them on their site when I logged in.

No, I'm pretty sure that Student ADC members are blocked from OS seedings.

If it's not listed in your Software Downloads, you don't have access to it. But hey, you still get releases for free.

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California
Originally posted by mactastic
I wonder if we'll see another version of 10.2.8 or not. Panther seems pretty close now.

Even if Panther is released, they will still issue an update to 10.2 to fix the security issues in OpenSSH and Sendmail that 10.2.8 addressed, plus the new OpenSSL vulnerability discovered this week. It's standard practice for Apple to provide such maintenance updates to no-longer-current revisions of the OS.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Having the store mangers "out of town" on 10-24/25 is not good news. How would someone find this out anyway?

I just want Panther now. :)

joachimlahti

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
Went by my local apple shop here in Finland yesterday just checking out the new G5 they had up for display. While I sat down and played around with the G5 a sales guy walked up to me and asked me if I needed any help.
So I asked him; When can I get Panther included if I buy a new G5? :rolleyes:
I didn't belive my ears when he just said; "Now, if you do a BTO order" and then continued to explain something about he had seen it preinstalled on a custom built dual G5 they got for someone working at the store. Lastly he added "It could really be any day now we get to put the Panther boxes out on our shelfs, but with apple(/Steve) you can never really say.;)"

nacl99

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
AZ
suuuure

IF thats true basically your saying that the final Panther was done AT LEAST a week ago, and Apple has been lying to its Developers and ADC?

Lies, all lies
I'm sure he told you that but it cannot be true.

If you don't believe me I have an Apple PDA to sell yah!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by joachimlahti
Went by my local apple shop here in Finland yesterday just checking out the new G5 they had up for display. While I sat down and played around with the G5 a sales guy walked up to me and asked me if I needed any help.
So I asked him; When can I get Panther included if I buy a new G5? :rolleyes:
I didn't belive my ears when he just said; "Now, if you do a BTO order" and then continued to explain something about he had seen it preinstalled on a custom built dual G5 they got for someone working at the store. Lastly he added "It could really be any day now we get to put the Panther boxes out on our shelfs, but with apple(/Steve) you can never really say.;)"
haha sure, either your a bad liar or your salesman is really dumb.

iJon

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
10.3 on 10/3

Maybe the old rumor about putting it out on 10/3 has a measure of truth? Put it on their site on 10/3 for pre-sales?

macdop

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
24th

I also noticed that Oct. 24th is the same as the ship date for my CTO Dual G5...very interesting...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by ZildjianKX

No, you must pay for a Select membership before you can get operating system seeds legally.

Don't count on the release prior to the 3rd week of October.

joachimlahti

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
haha sure, either your a bad liar or your salesman is really dumb.

iJon

Well I'm not trying to make something up here anyway... :(
I just told you what I was told, or perhaps a little less, forgive me for that.
The reason one could get panther installed with BTO systems was that there is some sort of delay in the channel of BTO machines. This delay I've today confirmed with an other mac dealer in town, all BTO systems that have been orderd on or after 22nd of september are being delayed by two to three weeks in delivery due to (officially) "unknown reasons".
NOTE!! This is said not to effect orders of standard configurations which are already boxed and have Jag 10.2.7 already installed.

Fadl

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2001
Are student developers going to get a copy of Panther for free? Like the way they receive monthly developer tools?

Actuary

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Tampa Bay area, FL, USA
delayed?

Originally posted by joachimlahti
The reason one could get panther installed with BTO systems was that there is some sort of delay in the channel of BTO machines. This delay I've today confirmed with an other mac dealer in town, all BTO systems that have been orderd on or after 22nd of september are being delayed by two to three weeks in delivery due to (officially) "unknown reasons".
NOTE!! This is said not to effect orders of standard configurations which are already boxed and have Jag 10.2.7 already installed.

I just ordered mine on Monday (9-29-03) and my order status still says "on or before 10-15-03". My order is a dual 2G with dual 250GB hard drives, 1GB of RAM, and the 9800 Graphics card. It was an education order if that make a difference. Have they not updated the order statuses with this delay yet? Thanks,

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
I need Panther now. I just bought an Epson Perfection 2400 scanner and it needs OS 10.2.x to run.
I'm running OS 10.1.5 right now. I'm not going to buy Jaguar and then see Panther pop onto the market a few days later.
Freaking Epson. I knew I should've bought a Hewlett Packard.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Re: delayed?

Originally posted by Actuary
I just ordered mine on Monday (9-29-03) and my order status still says "on or before 10-15-03". My order is a dual 2G with dual 250GB hard drives, 1GB of RAM, and the 9800 Graphics card. It was an education order if that make a difference. Have they not updated the order statuses with this delay yet? Thanks,
Actuary and I are in the same boat. I also ordered my Combo-Bluetooth BTO + BT Keyboard Monday with an on or before date of 10.15. However I don't believe it. I can only cite a handful of people who have gotten their G5 on or before their first "on or before" notice date. Moreover, I HOPE THEY DON'T ship it to me in that time frame because I want Panther inside.

I was disappointed when i saw that early date appear. It is unlikely to hold. Why should we get ours in only two weeks when everyone else has been waiting months for thiers? It doesn't make any sense. I want to suffer long and hard and get Panther inside. I delayed by order as long as I could. I wanted the Bluetooth keyboard in my order. I have developer download priviledges. So I couldn't rationalize waiting to place my order any longer. But I'd still like a black furry set of CDs rather than my own home brewed variety. :p

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
I do believe you will get Panther final CDs.. whether they'll be black and furry or not I don't know... I really think they'll just be going with that metal X logo... at least that's what the WWDC Panther CDs had on them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.