Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harish_IND

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
I’ve been using an edge into my desktop, Office PC as well as in an iphone XR.

Simple and smooth web browser I never find ever like this.

Reactions: Cape Dave

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
Lol
0A4874B7-A464-4E73-B7C2-686AF5DCBEF8.jpeg

Reactions: dgdosen

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
I like engaging and friendly looking interface. Netscape had that for years. Then I moved to Internet Explorer 5 with Aqua looking interface. Great browser.

Then everything went industrial and bland looking.
So few years back I seen Edge for Mac in beta so I downloaded it and gave it a good crack and every day use. I was impressed. As others say the browser gets better. So i use it all the time now. Would love to get some form of animation back in a browser to show me its working than a blue line. But over all I like it better than safari. Safari may be slightly faster maybe than edge but I’m fine with that because the interface I like better in edge and makes me want to use it.

Firefox is good but also becoming a little heavy. Chrome is terrible and bland interface. But yeah I’m very happy with edge for Mac. Job well done.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Brave is the only choice.
Firefox would've been my preferred choice as at least it provides a competing rendering engine for the real web standard instead of the "Chrome standard."

However, Firefox on Android tablets need work, and Brave is probably the next best thing.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What's the advantage of vertical tabs? I tried it, but couldn't see the benefit..

One noticeable benefit of vertical tabs is that it retains useful tab description length when you have a lot of tabs opened whereas with horizontal tabs after about eleven tabs or so the descriptions become shorter and shorter to uselessness.

Reactions: john123 and iterva

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
While Edge is better than Other browsers it still has along way to go to be the ‘ultimate browser’
By now this should be more thAn a work in progress

• Angry
Reactions: derekamoss

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
What's the advantage of vertical tabs? I tried it, but couldn't see the benefit..
@mi7chy Already beat me to it above here. I´ll also add that I found vertical tabs convenient since I also have my dock on the left side. So most things I could need I can find on the left side of the screen.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I have enjoyed using it quite a bit. It seems fairly light on system resources too on my older Macs, which is always a great bonus. Having access to Chrome extensions without actually needing Chrome installed is very nice for me.

daabido

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Brave, an unknown, has behaved like malware. Microsoft has a reputation to upkeep so unlikely to do shady stuff like this.

https://decrypt.co/31522/crypto-brave-browser-redirect

Brave is done except for those with no or low standards.
I guess I have no or low standards according to you. No, Microsoft has never and would never do any shady stuff. You must be about 10 years old if you believe that.

• Angry
Reactions: dukebound85

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Brave, an unknown, has behaved like malware. Microsoft has a reputation to upkeep so unlikely to do shady stuff like this.
I have to disagree with you, its open source well reviewed and its philosophy is privacy minded. I think Brave is a better option then Edge. I like Edge but I've been using Brave

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
This is probably the most satisfied I've ever been with a web browser. It has all the compatibility of Chrome, with improved functionality, performance, and uses much less resources. Also, it uses Chrome Extensions AND Themes! I love that I changed the color of my UI to my favorite color - right in between orange and yellow.

It's the best web browser I've ever used, and this is a man that has used them all! Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome. Opera and FireFox I haven't used in years, but I have no reason to now.

Good job Microsoft!
There are a nos of chromium based browser out there.

edge maybe lighter than chrome, but how does it compare with other chromium based browser like Brave?

I tried Edge Mobile just now. Though it is good for integrating with a few useful features like in app web translation and news digest (I am using MS translate and News App hence installing Edge may eliminate the installation of two apps) the setting of default language of the in app translate is lacking.

its UI color could not be changed as you highlighted in this post and I don’t see vertical tabs is of any useful use.

whereas, the free AdGuard with Safari blocks adv much better than Edge with the built in Adblock, and the password handling of Safari with touchid works like a charm than any others.

aranhamo76

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
This is probably the most satisfied I've ever been with a web browser. It has all the compatibility of Chrome, with improved functionality, performance, and uses much less resources. Also, it uses Chrome Extensions AND Themes! I love that I changed the color of my UI to my favorite color - right in between orange and yellow.

It's the best web browser I've ever used, and this is a man that has used them all! Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome. Opera and FireFox I haven't used in years, but I have no reason to now.

Good job Microsoft!
I am required to use Edge on my work computer and I hate it so much! You can’t change the fact that new windows/tabs open to Microsoft’s news page. There is no way to stop web pages from auto playing audio/video, you can only change a setting that works on some sites but not most. I think my company requires Edge only so that we’ll be discouraged from browsing unless we have to.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There are a nos of chromium based browser out there.

edge maybe lighter than chrome, but how does it compare with other chromium based browser like Brave?

I tried Edge Mobile just now. Though it is good for integrating with a few useful features like in app web translation and news digest (I am using MS translate and News App hence installing Edge may eliminate the installation of two apps) the setting of default language of the in app translate is lacking.

its UI color could not be changed as you highlighted in this post and I don’t see vertical tabs is of any useful use.

whereas, the free AdGuard with Safari blocks adv much better than Edge with the built in Adblock, and the password handling of Safari with touchid works like a charm than any others.
I periodically would try out other browsers to see how well they compared to Chrome. Vivaldi was (the "spiritual" successor to Opera) was an excellent alternative. But it gradually wandered in its focus. I then tried Brave. Brave was indeed a light and very capable. It also supported syncing for all of my devices (except my chromebooks... no Brave browser for it).

I had been using it for quite a long time (and I still use it on my Android tablets and iPads). But about a month or so ago I switched to Edge. It is slightly more nimble than Brave, and takes up fewer resources than Brave. But keep in mind that the type of extensions and number of extensions installed can greatly impact those things.

One things that turned me off to Brave is the whole Brave Rewards thing and its connection and promotion of cryptocurrencies within the browser. I understand that's just a personal quirk of mine and not necessarily a reflection of the browser itself.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

https://decrypt.co/31522/crypto-brave-browser-redirect

Brave is done except for those with no or low standards.
Definitely wrong of Brave. I personally haven't seen this issue, and I've been a regular user for the last year.

Interestingly, when I search for 'browsers' and 'privacy' - Edge has plenty of issues and is consistently ranked on the bottom, whereas Brave and Firefox are near the top. Yes, Microsoft has a reputation, and it's not necessarily a good one. I'll circle around again in a year, but only if Microsoft has changed their reputation.

Also, this thread feels like an ad.

Reactions: bohemian and srbNYC

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I am required to use Edge on my work computer and I hate it so much! You can’t change the fact that new windows/tabs open to Microsoft’s news page. There is no way to stop web pages from auto playing audio/video, you can only change a setting that works on some sites but not most. I think my company requires Edge only so that we’ll be discouraged from browsing unless we have to.
All of those complaints have been changed and addressed in new builds - but iOS and Edge release version haven't caught up. Mac, Windows, Android you have access to Edge beta, Dev, Canary which is now 94.xx

It is easy to change what is shown on new tabs, and not show news - Focused option + custom.
There use to be an option to mute sound and not auto play media. That was taken away but is being brought back.

Site Permissions: Sound: Muted in Privacy & security Settings.

Reactions: iterva

DesignedByNino

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2021

Good job Microsoft!
Have these people never heard of Brave ? I bet it is miles faster than Edge, and a million times more private in terms of user data and tracking ads and also based on Chrome.

I am a full stack web developer, and I’ve pretty much tested and tried out every browser out there from free to paid, Chrome to Safari, Opera to Blisk, Vivaldi to Edge and even concept ones from GitHub but Brave and Firefox are the ones that still remained on my machine.

I don’t recommend you try them out, I urge you :)) to try Brave and the new Firefox, they really make you realize how important privacy is and how superficial it has become.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
From Mosaic to today, been there.
Many here recommend a solid VPN that enhances privacy, filters, blocks ads too.

Edge native tracking options: Screenshot_20210807-143141.jpg

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Even in 'strict' mode Google still identifies my location via internet address. Until our IP can no longer be used to track us no amount of privacy-enhancements or special browsers that break sites relying on Cloudflare to run will make any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.