Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I actually wanted to like this case. It feels nice, super light, and looks good (when clean). But it’s too slick to hold for me. Going to take it back and get a silicone.

I’ve used the Apple leather case since the iPhone 5. Super disappointing they’ve discontinued it.

Reactions: iLuddite

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I'm using the silicone case, but went with a FineWoven wallet as a way to check out that material. I've actually really liked the wallet so far. It's not showing any visible wear yet after a few weeks. It at least has me thinking about the FineWoven case at some point.
Kinda hard to remove cards from the Finewoven wallett

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Got myself a FineWoven case and I actually kinda like it. The back in particular feels nice and soft like suede. Time will tell how it holds up but I’m obviously not going to scratch it up on purpose. It’s definitely not as nice as leather but I like it more than I thought I would. The fit is perfect without adding much bulk and the buttons, as expected, are nice and clicky. A little slippery right out of the box but I’m hoping that improves over time.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Call me crazy, but after owning a Pacific Blue case, I have decided to order a Black one. I just really like the feel of the FineWoven. The one I have now, fits really snug to my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I hope the Black one will do so, too!

I also have a Diamond Mag-case from Torras, but after feeling the FineWoven, I just can’t get used to the clear case materials. To be fair, I don’t get all the hate.

For me the grip is fine, it fits snug and owning a case since day one, I still have no problems with it.

Are your buttons firm? That’s the only thing I don’t like is that mine has very loose and rattling buttons. They rattle just from picking up the phone. It’s probably not a functional concern, but it’s not quality enough feel for me.

I’m debating exchanging and trying another, but I really don’t want the buttons to get loose on another one eventually.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Are your buttons firm? That’s the only thing I don’t like is that mine has very loose and rattling buttons. They rattle just from picking up the phone. It’s probably not a functional concern, but it’s not quality enough feel for me.

I’m debating exchanging and trying another, but I really don’t want the buttons to get loose on another one eventually.
Yep, all buttons are firm here. I have no problems with the FW-cases. I am still waiting for my wait Aulumu case, but the clear cases are already in the drawer because I keep coming back to FW.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Yep, all buttons are firm here. I have no problems with the FW-cases. I am still waiting for my wait Aulumu case, but the clear cases are already in the drawer because I keep coming back to FW.

Good to hear. Thanks!

I like the thinness and lightness of the FW case. I’d actually like the whole case to be made from the frame material, but I don’t dislike the current back material.

Reactions: Sean006

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Good to hear. Thanks!

I like the thinness and lightness of the FW case. I’d actually like the whole case to be made from the frame material, but I don’t dislike the current back material.
I like the look of the Aulumu Vegan Leather case better, that's why I ordered it and probably will use it as my daily driver when I get it. Until then, FW-cases. ;)

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I like the look of the Aulumu Vegan Leather case better, that's why I ordered it and probably will use it as my daily driver when I get it. Until then, FW-cases. ;)

Sounds good!

I think I’ll try to exchange my FW for one with former buttons. Glad you’ve landed on some that work for you! It’s always a chore finding a case that doesn’t have trade-offs that bother me.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
After two and a half weeks of rough handling, airports, bags, coffee shops - both my case and wallet are in pristine condition. And they feel great in the hand. Finewoven is turning out to be my top case of all time.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I ended up exchanging my Pacific Blue with really loose buttons last night. I looked at 4 others and every one of them either had loose buttons or misaligned cutouts. I ended up going with a Taupe that had excellent buttons and very slightly misaligned cutouts. Just hoping taupe won’t show dirt and such way worse than blue.

I really like the feel of the case, but they need to get on top of the QC problems.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
I ended up exchanging my Pacific Blue with really loose buttons last night. I looked at 4 others and every one of them either had loose buttons or misaligned cutouts. I ended up going with a Taupe that had excellent buttons and very slightly misaligned cutouts. Just hoping taupe won’t show dirt and such way worse than blue.

I really like the feel of the case, but they need to get on top of the QC problems.
i have used both the taupe and evergreen and the taupe definitely shows more wear, especially along the edges there is visible darkening. i am likely going to return the taupe and keep the evergreen, seems like it'll wear better long run.

that being said i have had good luck cleaning the taupe up, but the darkened edges aren't that appealing to me visually

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
i have used both the taupe and evergreen and the taupe definitely shows more wear, especially along the edges there is visible darkening. i am likely going to return the taupe and keep the evergreen, seems like it'll wear better long run.

that being said i have had good luck cleaning the taupe up, but the darkened edges aren't that appealing to me visually

Good to know. I figured it would show wear more, being a lighter color. I sort of prefer the pacific blue, but I don’t want to keep playing the QC lottery on them. Probably 6-7 of the cases I looked at in the store all had unacceptable defects/QC issues for me. I just don’t think I can keep being bothered with dealing with it and will probably just stick with the taupe that I have, since the buttons are almost perfect and the cutouts are acceptable.

Reactions: Lotuskid

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
I like the Taupe and Black for Wallets. I have the FW black for my 15 Pro case. To me, the patina/color change is fine and I think on the FW wallets, the patina will be a plus.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
After two and a half weeks of rough handling, airports, bags, coffee shops - both my case and wallet are in pristine condition. And they feel great in the hand. Finewoven is turning out to be my top case of all time.
The FW wallet really locks on to the case too

Reactions: aevan

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I’ve owned 3 cases now (taupe, blue, green). 3/3 on misaligned cutouts though all to different degrees. It’s not a huge deal for me, especially as I primarily just charge wirelessly. Buttons are fine; there’s some mild creaminess sometimes but not enough to cause concern. I really like this case; I never understood people’s obsessed with the Apple leather cases - they’re a nice material but they got gunky fast in recent years. I’m a fan of Finewoven!

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
Mine is starting to darken on the edges, same as the leather cases did. I still like mine, I wouldn't switch to any other case! It's thin, feels nice in the hand, and looks great with its two-tone design. I've been a FW stan since day 1 and will continue to be one. I hope they release new colors in spring so I can pick up another color that is more interesting.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
It's been over a week and I'm liking my FineWoven case more and more. I bought this case as a temporary solution while I research third party leather cases but I'm finding less desire to replace it. Almost to the point of FOMO as I really do like the soft feel of the back. Don't get me wrong, I still like leather but FineWoven is definitely holding its own. I'm very glad I took the chance to try it out for myself.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I've been using Taupe since day 1, I like it a lot. After 2 weeks I got a stain on the bottom edge and it cleaned up 95% with soap and water. I was still bothered so I put the case away for a week and when I looked again it was essentially gone, I guess whatever the oil was fully absorbed. I started using it again and so far so good. 5+ weeks of use.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Have one of these, but compared to the leather case it’s a true disappointment. Biggest thing that bothers me is the gaps between the fine woven back and plastic sides. If you keep your phone in your pocket, eventually dust/debris gets stuck in the seems and you have to clean it out. The back material- it’s also just a matter of time as before you need to rub it down to clean it. Who wants to be constantly cleaning a case? Pretty disappointing decision by Apple to discontinue the leather cases that to me were clearly the best cases on the market for the iPhone.

Reactions: iOS Geek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.