Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralph_91

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2017
There’s a lot of hate outside when it comes to the FineWoven case, however, here are my points why it’s currently my absolute all-time favorite iPhone case:

- The lightness, button tactility, and precision fit is unlike any other third-party case I tried out so far. (I’ve tried the Torras Thin Fit and the LONLI Classic, while the Torras is okayish, the Classic just feels really really bulky and heavy and takes away a lot of usability of the iPhone 15 PM)
- The blue color is absolutely stunning and reflects totally different depending on the light conditions.
- The haptics of the case are really great and absolutely comparable to the old leather cases and make it feel like a good replacement, I really like the fine feel of the back and the more robust feel of the sides.
- The attention to detail in this case amazes me every day again, the flush camera alignment and the metal buttons really compliment the blue titanium iPhone.
- A lot of people have durability concerns, however, I have a really hard time to agree with a lot of folks on that, let me tell you why:
- The fine microtwill gives me a lot peace of mind compared to leather, since we handle fibers everyday when wearing clothes and we do not complain there too. When we put a iPhone in our jeans it is “fiber on fiber” and so far I’m really more relaxed about breaking/scratching the case when pocketing or using it. I actually feel way more relaxed with this case, instead of constantly worrying about it, which is an underrated „Plus“ for me.
- I actually really like how it looks aged. After all it’s a case to protect what’s inside, and not needing to baby my case gives me more peace of mind and teaches me, that life is not perfect after all, and worrying about a case shouldn’t be priority in life anyways. With leather I was always worrying not to damage it, because it expels „luxury“. I don’t really need that with my modern phone.
- It cleans up easier than leather cases while still looking better than silicone. When using a microfiber cloth with leather, I was worrying about scratching it because of particles scratching the leather. As it is fiber on fiber with a microfiber cloth, I lost that worrying. Just dampen it with water, good to go, looks fresh. Particles will either go inside the microfiber or the microtwill, but they won’t scratch the case, which even if it WOULD scratch, is: Fine for me.
- Scratches are expected and give this case actually some character (Yes! As the leather cases!). Not worrying about scratching this case is actually a plus for me, to me it is better than fighting with my inner „perfectionist“ all the time about keeping everything I own pristine, I now kinda endorse the scratches.
- As mentioned before by others, I feel like this case is a cool sweetspot between leather and silicone with combined additional benefits. Cheap feeling case? No, not at all for me. Feels superb in the hand.
- I scotchgarded it, worrying about staining isn‘t in my head anymore.
- All in all I like my technology modern, and the FineWoven-MicroTwill Mix feels much more high-tech than I expected and other cases cannot compete with the all around package I get with the FineWoven. I‘d go even further and would even go that far and say: To me this case actually feels premium in my hand, not cheap at all.
+ It perfectly matches my wonderful blue ocean band of my Apple Watch Ultra 2

The first reviews were all rushed and don’t give this fabulous case justice. I’m a fine fan.

As BasicAppleGuy has already said it: FineWoven is fine.

Last edited:

bgis

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Helsinki
love it
53307016843_7fc97fef3e_b.jpg

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
So, I was skeptical; every year I've always purchased leather cases (along with a single silicone Apple case to use at the beach or whatnot) to use. This year was no exception; I have 3 Andar cases and a black silicone case.

I visited the Apple store yesterday to pick up a new watch band and while I was there, I wanted to see all the hubub over this Finewoven stuff. Felt a display case and thought...hmmm. Felt nice to the touch; almost suede like. So, out the door I went with one.

I gotta say; I like it. It won't replace leather for me (I've been using leather cases since the iPhone 4 days) and I do question the longevity of Finewoven. However, I switch out cases frequently, and this is in the rotation. It just feels.....nice.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I like the Taupe FineWoven case, but one thing I noticed (3 different Taupe cases and phones) is that the case seems to loosen over time if you take the case on/off. On our 3 iPhone 15 Pro’s each case was tight initially, but by week 2 (cases removed 2-3x) the case started to creak a little. Not a deal breaker, but not ideal by any means. No issue with hole and button alignment though.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Other than one year when I used an Apple Silicone case and another when I used a Nomad Horween Leather case, I've always bought an Apple Leather case. I was very disappointed when they didn't offer that option this year. I checked out all sorts of other cases, found something I didn't like about most of them, and eventually decided on a minimalist Spigen case.

Unfortunately, the morning I decided to set up my new 15 Pro Max, I discovered that the Spigen case had a manufacturing defect, a big bump inside the case that you could see on the outside, too. What to do? Order another and hope it doesn't have the defect? (Others have reported the same defect on Amazon.) Amazon could deliver a black Apple FineWoven case in a few hours...could it really be as bad as some people say? So, I got one.

The good: the case is very light and adds little extra bulk to the phone. It looks good, feels good, and looks great on my Titanium Black phone. I don't use cases on my phones for protection. I simply think phones are too thin to hold on to comfortably, and I don't like the feel of the cold metal on my skin.

The case fits the phone very well. The buttons are all covered, even the Action button, and I haven't experienced any rattling or looseness of the buttons. The buttons work at least as well as they did on the leather cases, which I always thought was excellent.

The cutouts on the bottom are perfect, and the speaker cutouts are asymmetrical, as they should be. One thing that bothered me about the Nomad case is that they're not, and the cutouts are deep (in other words, the bottom of the case is thicker than the top and sides) to allow for (useless to me) places to attach a wrist strap.

I keep my phone in my shirt pocket or in my front left jeans pocket, always by itself, never with keys or anything else. So, right now my case looks like the day I bought it. I realize it may develop a MagSafe circle on it after time, but my black leather case had that as well.

The bad: well, so far the only negative I can think of is that initially the FineWoven case seems a bit more slippery than the leather ones did. I think all cases take a little while to break in, and I already feel the FineWoven case isn't as slippery as it initially was. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. It certainly is much easier to pull out of my pocket! I prefer that to the Silicone case, which got really tacky and difficult to pull out of my jeans pocket after a while.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, for what they're worth. A lot of people obviously hate the new cases, but everybody has a different opinion, different likes and dislikes. If Apple offered a leather case, I wouldn't have bought one, but so far I'm happy with the FineWoven case, and if this one gets beat up somehow I'm likely to order another.

S7anley

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2020
Cheltenham, England
Originally I got a black fine woven case for my black ti 15pm right for release day. Unfortunately it had an issue with the cutouts so I went and replaced it with a Taupe one. I used the Taupe FW until last week when I got me another black fw.

In general I'm very happy with the case (have never dropped the phone so I can't speak about drop protection). The feel though.... is amazing! Also, you can pretty much wash your case whenever you feel like it and it looks like you just got it!

I've got to say the taupe shows dirt more, and requires cleaning regularly in order to look perfect. And I kinda wish it was darker and more saturated (towards the brown spectrum). It is now looking pristine and in its box while I'm using the black one. But I plan on switching them every now and again, as well as getting the green and mulberry ones.

As someone who used to always get leather cases in almost all colours I've only got one thing to say. Once the leather cases got dirty you could never clean them to what they were when new! That itself is a massive plus for me.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
OK, think I will give one a try! Not that happy with the three leather alternatives I have purchased. Like the Apple Silicone a lot, so might like this too. See if they pop up on sale next week.

umbrokhan

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
England
My finewoven case has a very small gap at the bottom I can see from an angle the charger hole.
The speaker and microphone holes are not in the middle.
The finewoven case can easily slip out of your pocket when sitting down on a chair.
It Feel’s premium and side feel good also.
Finewoven case has the best buttons I ever used on a case. Very slim design.
I like the fabric feel more than leather.
Price is Very expensive for recycled materials.

Last edited:
Reactions: babalougots

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Does anyone else’s FW case creak slightly with a bit of movement occasionally between the case and the phone? I’ve owned 2 and both have done the same on the side with the camera. It’s strange because the case fits very tightly and is hard to remove but this slight movement makes it feel like a cheap case to me. The silicone for example fits so much better

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
Does anyone else’s FW case creak slightly with a bit of movement occasionally between the case and the phone? I’ve owned 2 and both have done the same on the side with the camera. It’s strange because the case fits very tightly and is hard to remove but this slight movement makes it feel like a cheap case to me. The silicone for example fits so much better

I've noticed this several times over the last month or so, about halfway up the right side of the case. It would bug me if it happened more, but it doesn't happen much. So far the case looks like when I first got it, except if I hold it up to bright light you can see a circle where I attach it to MagSafe chargers. That doesn't bother me, and my Apple black leather case had the same circle. I still like the case a lot.

Reactions: babalougots

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I have been using the dBrand Ghost Case for a while, switching in between the Aulumu (yes, I need to stop buying cases, lol!). But I can’t get over how nice and tactile the buttons of the FineWoven are, compared to the dBrand buttons.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011

I put a little dab of earthquake putty in two of the corners inside the case, reinserted the phone, and the squeaks disappeared.

Reactions: pk0

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
My wife and I have been visiting Tokyo, and both my Finewoven case and wallet have been through a lot of pockets, bags, bar tables, etc. - and it’s been roughly two weeks since I got it. The result? It looks as new as the day I got it. Apple MagSafe battery, MagSafe itself and Wallet do leave marks on the case - not that I mind, but they do go away if you rub the case.

My only gripe (and it’s minor) is that the power button on the case is a bit flimsy. Other than that, this may be my favorite Apple case so far (even compared to the leather cases). It feels and looks great.

Just tells me that I shouldn’t trust all the hysteria that comes with every iPhone launch.
Agree FW is good lots of ? unfair criticism of FW early on

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
If you trash the FW case you would be trashing the leather cases too, probs even worse imo.
Need something more heavy duty.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
My experience was very different. I gave it another shot even after initially expressing concerns about the build quality. One month in, the buttons were rattling and the squeaking got worse by the day, like the case was getting looser or something. Plus there’s absolutely zero grip. I gave it an honest shot but there’s nothing premium about it. This is no replacement for leather.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
If you trash the FW case you would be trashing the leather cases too, probs even worse imo.
Need something more heavy duty.
Not true. The leather cases had their weaknesses but the grip, fit and feel in hand were superior. I have a black Apple leather case on my 12mini that I use for testing and there’s just nothing like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.