Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you want more for IOS 9?

• Stability/Performance enhancements.

Votes: 119 87.5%
  • Features/Add-ons.

Votes: 17 12.5%

• Total voters

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Which would you rather prefer Apple do for IOS 9?

- More stability, faster performance, and less bugs with very little new features.

- A lot of cool, handy, awesome features like more multitasking and extensions but with only a few bugs worked out.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I don't know how shaky is iOS 8 on some of the people on this poll, but on my iPhone 6 it runs pretty good, so yeah, I would love some new features.

Although, for iOS 9 I think it's going to be a mix of minor bug fixes and some new features.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I know many complain about bugs and whatnot, but iOS 8 on my iPhone 6, and on my wife's iPhone 5s works flawlessly. So bring on the features.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iPhone 5S and 6 (and the Air 2) are the best iOS 8 devices, you don't really have to ask. The iPads, older iPhones, iPod Touch and even the iPhone 6 Plus however...

I would rather have a bit of both.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

- More stability, faster performance, and less bugs with very little new features.

- A lot of cool, handy, awesome features like more multitasking and extensions but with only a few bugs worked out.

Judging by the news it seems mainly bug fixes and loads of under the hood performance boosts. I reckon they will probably add some features and tweak current features or Apps.
I personally was mainly waiting for iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, extensions, new OS X design and widgets and I got all of that with ios 8 and yosemite. They even added Continutiy and Handoff which I didn't even expect but now can't live without.
I would be quite happy with more performance and more polish as the main ios 9 feature since I got pretty much everything I asked for. What are some must have features I am missing out on that they could make? Maybe iCloud drive app, better music app etc

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
if it means an extra year of using my ipad 4 im all for it.
dont really want to shell another $500 on a tablet just to keep up with the speed.
all the features of the tablet are fine as it is.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
The one update A5 user need they probably won't get. Hopefully the upcoming iOS 8 updates will continually speed up performance.

jfeathe

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2015
There are still basic things wring with my iPhone, namely orientation issues and video playback. I don't need a single additional feature; I just want a phone that works as close to flawlessly as possible.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
If that so-called performance boost is for the 4S too, I'm all for it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
From what I see, there are still tons of APIs from ios8 that many developers have not tapped in yet, such as sharesheet extensions (glares at whatsapp and Instagram), handoff (basically every app with both a phone and tablet version) and iCloud Keychain integration (every app which requires you to log in).

No point flooding the market with yet more untapped features. Might be better to focus on stability while working with app developers to properly support these features and integrate them properly into their apps.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
From what I see, there are still tons of APIs from ios8 that many developers have not tapped in yet, such as sharesheet extensions (glares at whatsapp and Instagram), handoff (basically every app with both a phone and tablet version) and iCloud Keychain integration (every app which requires you to log in).

No point flooding the market with yet more untapped features. Might be better to focus on stability while working with app developers to properly support these features and integrate them properly into their apps.

Yes! extensions, quick reply and widgets are so under-utilised.

I'm all for improved performance, because the level of business and instability in iOS 8 is just crazy. My iPhone 4 was more stable with iOS 7.0 than my iPhone 5 is with iOS 8.1.3 - iOS 7.0 was slow but it wasn't as glitchy.

----------

The one update A5 user need they probably won't get. Hopefully the upcoming iOS 8 updates will continually speed up performance.

I'm willing to suggest that its pretty probable that the A5 will be supported as Apple usually gives 1 year of support to all its devices once they are discontinued and around 60 percent of iPad users are on A5 devices.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
For the love of God, Apple. Please pay some attention to A6 and A7 iPads with iOS 9. If iOS 9 does nothing but improve iPhone for the most part, I will be pissed. Non A8X iPads with translucency disabled are completely riddled with lag. Plus all the general UI bugs there are on iPad, wouldn't say these are exclusive to A6/A7 iPads.

iOS for iPad was pretty much half-assed and is so sloppy. No wonder the sales for iPad are tanking. There needs to be some polish again, and there needs to be huge UI differences that make the iPad have a huge step up over the iPhone. However, these UI differences need to be DONE RIGHT. Polished, smooth, fast. Not buggy, not sloppy, not stuttery.

Orange Zig-Zags

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015

I'm still using an iPhone 5 and iOS 8 has run perfectly smooth since day one (thank God for the 1 gig of ram). Some of the added features such as quick replying are a godsend and I'd be mad if they had some really cool features that they were going to add to iOS nine that they didn't simply to make it run "smoother" when it's probably already going to run as smooth as a babies ass even with the added features.

Edit: my bad you said stability not smoothness. Either way my almost 2 1/2 year old iPhone five has never once encountered any bug/lack of stability. I guess I just got lucky not ever having any Wi-Fi issues or anything of that sort that seem to be plaguing the many iPhone owners when iOS 8 came out.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
A balanced choice between the two.
We don't need so many new features, but something new, like multi user profiles, would be welcomed.

----------

If that so-called performance boost is for the 4S too, I'm all for it.

Did you realize the iPhone 4S is an old device and in 2016 will be ridiculously old?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm all for a slimmed down OS size-wise with bug fixes and performance optimisations, like Snow Leopard for Macs.

iOS 8 is the buggiest OS I've ever used (on both my phone and iPad) and it sorely needs fixing.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
A balanced choice between the two.
We don't need so many new features, but something new, like multi user profiles, would be welcomed.

----------

Did you realize the iPhone 4S is an old device and in 2016 will be ridiculously old?

The 4S was on sale 5 months ago and the iPod Touch which has the same chip is still on sale. It also runs iOS 8. If the iPhone 4 got a performance boost there is no reason the 4S can't as well.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
The 4S was on sale 5 months ago and the iPod Touch which has the same chip is still on sale. It also runs iOS 8. If the iPhone 4 got a performance boost there is no reason the 4S can't as well.

The iPad Mini with similar specs is also for sale still (and with a big market share). Wish people would get out of the mentality that just because a device is older that it should be dropped from software updates for the heck of it.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
It would be nice to get a little of both.

I know right? What a silly question. Apple would never performance boost and not add a little something useful here and there. Developers would feel cheated and end users would be confused because there wouldn't be a difference.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I want a Snow Leopard-type release. I'd rather have no or very few extra features and just get the problems fixed. I still experience issues with iOS 8 here and there. 8.1.3 seems to have fixed quite a bit however some stupid little issue rears its ugly head and reminds me of iOS 8's lack of stability. This happens on both my devices; iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus (more on the phone though then the iPad).

The only feature that I would love to have if they could pull it off without major trade offs (i.e. not fixing bugs or creating new ones) would be split screen multi-tasking on the iPads. The Air 2 seems to have good enough specs that if they really optimize the OS and apps, 2GB should be able to support 2 apps at once. Then, this may lay the ground work for split screen on the 6s Plus which would be killer to have on an iPhone.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I don't care if you can still buy it: it still is a phone from 2011.
Four years are a geological age in this field....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.