Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you want more for IOS 9?

• Stability/Performance enhancements.

Votes: 119 87.5%
  • Features/Add-ons.

Votes: 17 12.5%

• Total voters

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't care if you can still buy it: it still is a phone from 2011.
Four years are a geological age in this field....

What does that even mean, there are Macs from 2011 that cost less than the 4S used to and still work just fine. Just because the first iPhones only had support for a few years doesn't mean that they should keep doing that forever.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
A smaller footprint for the OS, resulting in some more space on our devices, combined with speed and performance optimisations would be my preferred choice.

Apple have hammered it for two years now with iOS 7 and 8. First the major redesign and then adding some seriously good features that effectively opened up the OS more. The time has come to take the last two years of hard work and make it sing.

I also feel that Apple should call time on A4 and A5 devices (Apple cutting A6 devices is doubtful). In fact I'd prefer to see iOS 9 be for A7 and A8 devices only, allowing them to focus on performance for the latest devices (64 bit) and leave the baggage of the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c and iPad 2, 3, and 4 behind. Harsh, but we need to move on ... and lets face it, look around these forums and all you see are complaints of how slow iOS 8 is on iPad 2, 3, and 4 and older iPhone models.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
A smaller footprint for the OS, resulting in some more space on our devices, combined with speed and performance optimisations would be my preferred choice.

Apple have hammered it for two years now with iOS 7 and 8. First the major redesign and then adding some seriously good features that effectively opened up the OS more. The time has come to take the last two years of hard work and make it sing.

I also feel that Apple should call time on A4 and A5 devices (Apple cutting A6 devices is doubtful). In fact I'd prefer to see iOS 9 be for A7 and A8 devices only, allowing them to focus on performance for the latest devices (64 bit) and leave the baggage of the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c and iPad 2, 3, and 4 behind. Harsh, but we need to move on ... and lets face it, look around these forums and all you see are complaints of how slow iOS 8 is on iPad 2, 3, and 4 and older iPhone models.

Yeah I don't think that will ever happen, but I would love for that to be the case. Apple has so many different devices to support that it probably gets pretty involved to make sure it works fine on A5 on iPad 2, underpowered iPad 3 with A5X, iPad mini with the same A5 just with translucency enabled, A5 on iPhone4S/iPod 5, A6 on iPhone 5/5C, A6X on iPad 4 (intense translucency on a retina iPad), A7 on iPhone 5S, A7 on iPad mini 2, 3, and iPad Air, both dealing with intense translucency on retina iPad screen, A8 on iPhone 6, the same A8 on iPhone 6+ which is doing twice the work, and finally the A8X chip. It's just too much since the A5 devices have made it so far. Plus they have the oddball underpowered iPad 3, and the oddball iPad mini 1 with the same chip as iPad 2 but with translucency tacked on there. I think the only reason iPad 2 didn't get translucency is because the iPad 3 couldn't handle it. This would cause uproar because a newer device wouldn't support something an older one does, so they simply took it out of the iPad 2. iPad mini 1 handles it pretty decently actually, it's just overall a little less smooth than the iPad 2.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
For iPads only performance boost and bugfixes. However, I wish that Apple atleast give some majoror atleast some minor improvement. For example email attachments...

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Both.

They have the money. Paying out an extra million on payroll won't hurt them.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What does that even mean, there are Macs from 2011 that cost less than the 4S used to and still work just fine. Just because the first iPhones only had support for a few years doesn't mean that they should keep doing that forever.

Macs are not smartphones. The expected life cycle of a computer is different from a phone.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
:apple:50% new features,25%bug fixes, 25% stability... A5 devices are out of IOS 9 ... if they dont fix the stability and bug fixes, The Iphone 5 and Ipad 3 will be suffer a lot with this update.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I'll be satisfied if Apple simply reverts to thorough testing and debugging so "it just works".

If they get serious about caring, they will. If they don't it won't be a surprise, nor anything new.

It seems that for their target market, all that matters is the presence of the Apple logo. Sales continue to set records no matter what comes out of the box. :)

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
It seems that for their target market, all that matters is the presence of the Apple logo. Sales continue to set records no matter what comes out of the box. :)
That can't go on forever. If public perception catches up with current enthusiast perception, Apple will take severe beating on sales.

Just look at Samsung. Two years back, they were unstoppable. Now they are literally struggling.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That can't go on forever. If public perception catches up with current enthusiast perception, Apple will take severe beating on sales.

Just look at Samsung. Two years back, they were unstoppable. Now they are literally struggling.

My perception already is that Apple now sux at software. I no longer update unless i've read reviews or watched YT videos and then I go to BB and try out the new OS.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
My perception already is that Apple now sux at software. I no longer update unless i've read reviews or watched YT videos and then I go to BB and try out the new OS.

Once upon a time Apple pushed out pretty good updates. They may have had a few minor bugs, but that's normal for new software. At least updates could be trusted not to break anything. I refuse to believe that ended for any other reason than cost cutting and Apple's obsession to deliver as many updates as possible, it's all part of their burning desire to maintain scheduled obsolescence plans for their hardware side of the business.

Absolutely the best marketing machine of any company, Apple is exceptional when it comes to selling and convincing customers the only way to be relevant is to buy Apple's latest.

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
What about both? :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.