Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
IMG_0591 copy.jpg

IMG_0592 copy.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
I don’t mean to be critical, but that’s the sort of photo that should not look like that. The sky is so blown out that it’s hard to tell where the building ends and the sky begins.

Probably more the result of the light colored stratus clouds which are difficult to meter for.

All good! I do prefer it this way, to each their own!

Reactions: gwhizkids

Matteo[V]

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
Italy
I have seen a big difference. I’ve always shot raw with my Sony cameras, shooting raw on the iPhone feels the same. I can control my highlights and shadows better. Also the image is cleaner, no compression like a jpeg & watercolor look I sometimes get especially on clouds and trees / grass. I save my raw files as a jpeg at 100% quality from Lightroom mobile and they look great.

I’ve shot raw using other apps and there is now comparison when using ProRAW. ProRAW also includes the deep fusion to clean up the image more. ProRAW is all I shoot with now, I love it. It really makes a big difference when shooting ProRAW with night mode. The sky and stars are much clearer and cleaner.

Now the deep fusion and smart HDR jpeg images are good, but if you blow the highlights they can’t be recovered. Have you had a lot of experience using raw? I use Lightroom mobile exclusively because it works best compared to the other editing apps I have used. I pay the $4.99 / month to unlock all of the Lightroom mobile features and have purchased presets and made my own. I take a lot of photos on my iPhone... more than my Sony.

Apple ProRAW has changed my photos forever! I’m very passionate about photography. The new iPhone and Apple ProRAW are a game changer for me. I’ve added some samples from raw files, plus two photos by Austin Mann of the Milky Way and he shot jpeg and ProRAW. You can see that the raw is much clearer. I took the raw shot of Orion with the tree tops on a dark road. The candle shot was raw also, all saved as jpeg. Can I help with anything else? Let me know if I can. Need more samples?

Todd
View attachment 1754664
View attachment 1754665
ProRAW from this morning:
View attachment 1754686

Mann’s photos:
View attachment 1754663
View attachment 1754662
Thank you for your post.
Could you please tell me your setting for the milky way photo?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thank you for your post.
Could you please tell me your setting for the milky way photo?
Good morning…the Milky Way photo was shot on Apple ProRAW using night mode. I was in a dark location and I used my mini tripod and iPhone bracket for the 30” exposure. The RAW photo looked dark, I had to adjust the exposure in Lightroom mobile to bring out the winter Milky Way. I added two screen shots from Lightroom showing the before and after. 30” really isn’t a long time to expose, I hope the iPhone 13 gives us up to 2 minutes at least. But this was just a regular night mode shot for 30” in ProRAW mode.
E0C7B7ED-611B-492F-88DF-3AE027D24201.png

50803D50-0779-4D2E-82AE-DDC4E5BCF362.png

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Good morning…the Milky Way photo was shot on Apple ProRAW using night mode. I was in a dark location and I used my mini tripod and iPhone bracket for the 30” exposure. The RAW photo looked dark, I had to adjust the exposure in Lightroom mobile to bring out the winter Milky Way. I added two screen shots from Lightroom showing the before and after. 30” really isn’t a long time to expose, I hope the iPhone 13 gives us up to 2 minutes at least. But this was just a regular night mode shot for 30” in ProRAW mode.
View attachment 1799451
View attachment 1799452

30 seconds on an iPhone to get a Milky Way shot.

Think about that.

Matteo[V]

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2016
Italy
View attachment 1799451
View attachment 1799452

Ehehe thank you… I made some Milky Way photos with reflex … yes 30 seconds it is a good time, you used the tripod to get the 30 second time, right?

Did you use Lightroom app to shoot the Pro raw ?

I think that 2 minutes is a too long time to shoot a picture to the night sky because the heart rotation would turn the stars into stripes

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
I have an iPhone 12 Pro. It takes amazing pictures in light and even more impressive in low light. I have to say though, my sister came over with her husband to hang out and she had her normal iPhone 12. I took at least 30 shots overall (15 each) back to back and there is literally no difference. I really question if the LiDar sensor does anything other than be used as a guestimator ruling device. My 2c.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have an iPhone 12 Pro. It takes amazing pictures in light and even more impressive in low light. I have to say though, my sister came over with her husband to hang out and she had her normal iPhone 12. I took at least 30 shots overall (15 each) back to back and there is literally no difference. I really question if the LiDar sensor does anything other than be used as a guestimator ruling device. My 2c.
Well the cameras / sensor I think is the same. The LIDAR sensor helps the iPhone focus on low light and really helps map out a subject in portrait mode. Use portrait mode on both and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Especially if you take a portrait of a soda straw. I don’t know how far away the LIDAR sensor works, but I like what it does. I have both the 12 pro and 12 pro max and both iPhones are fantastic. I’m also a photographer which helps with getting better shots. The cameras that you tested are going to focus well without LIDAR but LIDAR does a lot of good in many situations. Some YouTube videos will help to explain the LIDAR, hope this helps..

todd

Reactions: gwhizkids

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Been going out for the past few days, now that the sun is finally coming out again in the Netherlands (albeit barely). Friggin' love this camera. Completely untouched photos, apart from using the 'auto enhance' option on some of them.

tempImageYYZOex.png

Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Mariahout

tempImage1g0AzR.png

Brabantse Kluis, Aarle-Rixtel

tempImagemdpNAw.png

National Park De Groote Peel, Heusden

tempImage9gzrUE.png
National Park De Groote Peel, Heusden

D3B13798-A86F-4274-BB9C-0A473E9554A5_1_201_a.jpeg

Boerdonk (

Particularly impressed with the last one. Incredible how close I could get for this shot, without this beauty flying away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.