Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors or MacRumours

• MacRumours

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • MacRumors

Votes: 136 59.4%
  • Do not care either way

Votes: 44 19.2%

• Total voters

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, the site is American, the company it covers is American. That is all that matters.

No, not quite.

Much of their manufacturing takes place in China, and many of their sales are to Europeans.

When one seeks to sell your devices to a global market, I think an awareness of (and respect for) the wider world doesn't hurt.

No, this doesn't matter at all. Rumours is spelled with a u where I live and I hope I speak for everyone outside of the Americas
I doubt that you speak for "everyone outside the Americas", your stated aspiration notwithstanding.

This is the most ridiculous thread on this site.
I think that there are others that are in contention for that particular prize.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
rumours (or rumors) relating to Macs
Oh, people have complained. They ask why are covering a google this, or a Samsung that. Also back in the day when the iPhone first landed, there was more vexation over MacRumors covering something as silly as a phone

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
One of my favourite [or favorite] authors is Rumer Godden.

And as this thread is almost totally daft, let's really have some fun and go even more 'OT'. ;)

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Gotta be MacRumours. I'm a Brit and sticking up for our Language in it's pure and unbastardised form.
😂

So the Old English "godsibb" instead of the Old French "rumeur"?

Considering that the word derives from Latin "rumor", perhaps that American spelling is not so far off anyway.

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
I have a facsimile of Webster's original dictionary, and, kinky as this may sound, it is a pleasure to read because Webster writes in many places why he has chosen 1 of several spellings then current in English over the spellings used by Johnson in his dictionary.

And, Yes, if one wants to go in for etymological spelling 'labor', 'color' and so on are just fine IF those words came into English DIRECTLY from Latin, but 'labour' and 'colour' are better IF those words came into English from Latin VIA French.

If, like me, you are not really THAT concerned about how those words got into any form of English, then my advice is to go on spelling them the way 'Mummy' [or 'Mommy'] told you to. After all very few people are so utterly stupid that when someone spells a word with or without a 'u' differently to the way they do that they cannot understand it.

The rest is just prickles and prejudice.

After all, if I want to be a 'complete pillock' I could point out that words like 'recognise' / 'recognize' have to be spelt [err, spelled] with -ise if they came into English from Latin, and -ize if they came into English from ancient Greek. Do you know whether 'recognise' came from Latin or Greek? I don't, and, quite frankly, I'd be happier kissing a pig's bottom than worrying myself silly every damn time I encounter an -ise/-ize word.

Oddly enough, LibreOffice on my Mac Mini doesn't seem to care either. ;)

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The one thing that really annoys me about this site is the fact ‘Rumours’ is spelt incorrectly, or in other words, using an American slang version of the word. It is an American originated site though but has a global audience who perhaps laugh at the spelling.

I voted for ‘Rumours’ obviously.

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
'Rumors' is no more 'an American slang version' than 'Rumours' is a British slang version.

American English and British English are two fairly well-defined dialects of one another [and, if we want to get 'all poncy' we can mention Australian English, New Zealand English, Canadian English, Jamaican English, Indian English, Scots English, Irish English, and so on until we are well-nigh blue in the face], and there is no 'correct' spelling of Rumors/Rumours, and going on about slang only betrays prejudice and ignorance.

Reactions: Tagbert

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
'Rumors' is no more 'an American slang version' than 'Rumours' is a British slang version.

American English and British English are two fairly well-defined dialects of one another [and, if we want to get 'all poncy' we can mention Australian English, New Zealand English, Canadian English, Jamaican English, Indian English, Scots English, Irish English, and so on until we are well-nigh blue in the face], and there is no 'correct' spelling of Rumors/Rumours, and going on about slang only betrays prejudice and ignorance.
Oh, and what about 'Renaissance' and 'Renascence': plenty more one can get all 'ticklish' about if one doesn't have to go downstairs right now to vacuum the living-room like I do.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

At least Fleetwood Mac agree with me ;)

6801d286630965b4ffd32c4b042bd7d4.jpg

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
Well all I can say about that is to point out the 2 things depending from the chap's trousers.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
No, not quite.

Much of their manufacturing takes place in China, and many of their sales are to Europeans.

The site is American, and so is the company it covers.

When one seeks to sell your devices to a global market, I think an awareness of (and respect for) the wider world doesn't hurt.

Respect goes both ways - I don't expect Americans to spell colour with a u, and they don't expect me to spell colour without a u.

And expecting that is equal parts disrespectful and delusional.

I doubt that you speak for "everyone outside the Americas", your stated aspiration notwithstanding.

Most people outside America are smart enough to understand that America spells some words differently.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The site is American, and so is the company it covers.
Now, while I'll grant that the site is American, many of the members of this site are not American, (including your humble scribe), and, in fact, come from all across the globe.

For that matter, the company the site is dedicated to - Apple - has outsourced much of its manufacturing to China, and its European HQ, which is located in Cork, in Ireland, is Apple's only self-operated manufacturing plant in the world - as, apparently, Apple otherwise always contracts to third-party manufacturers (rather than undertaking the manufacturing of its own products itself).

How American is that?

And expecting that is equal parts disrespectful and delusional.
Expecting, no.

Preferring, most certainly, yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Now, while I'll grant that the site is American, many of the members of this site are not American, (including your humble scribe), and, in fact, come from all across the globe.

As I said before, I don't expect Americans to spell colour with a u, and they don't expect me to spell colour without a u. This is an incredibly simple concept. There is nothing "humble" about thinking that just because you come from another country, someone's website in another part of the world should be spelled the way your country spells it. That's actually quite arrogant.

If you want to coexist in a global community you might start by learning that different countries spell things differently, and that's OK.

For that matter, the company the site is dedicated to - Apple - has outsourced much of its manufacturing to China, and its European HQ, which is located in Cork, in Ireland, is Apple's only self-operated manufacturing plant in the world - as, apparently, Apple otherwise always contracts to third-party manufacturers (rather than undertaking the manufacturing of its own products itself).

How American is that?

Apple is an American company, as is MacRumors.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Apple is an American company
Not really.

Nowadays, Apple is a global company seeking to sell to consumers world wide, and has a global profile.

Now, once upon an increasingly distant time, it was indeed a niche company selling exquisitely designed computers, but now it can afford to ignore its computing arm and sell it as a loss leader, for the company derives most of its income from other products such as iPhones, for which there is a growing international market.

More to the point, increasingly, it outsources its manufacturing to third parties and this takes place in countries such as China, and, moreover, it sought to minimise the tax it paid in the US (and the EU) through its subsidiaries in its European (EU) HQ, in Ireland, which gave rise to robust responses from both the EU and the US government.

as is MacRumors.
Well, yes, but a surprisingly large number of members of this site do not hail from the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Let's not go too far with this and make a complete 'donkey' of oneself.
Fair enough.

However, when giving voice (or putting hands to keyboard) to repeat, with the monotony of a mantra, or metronome, that "Apple is American", I would argue that this misses - or chooses to overlook - the point that while some things are American - the sort of American where the impact of, or effects of, what is defined as, or considered to be, American, - even if well-known - are confined to the US (the Second Amendment, baseball, Katz's Deli, much of US TV, and so on), and thus, can rightly be considered, and described as, "American", - because they have no effect whatsoever on those of us who reside elsewhere - others, with a more global reach (and ambition), - such as Apple - are, I would submit, somewhat of a hybrid, in that they can no longer conduct their business (and hope to be successful) without taking the customs, culture, and, above all, laws of the places (the EU, China for example) where they hope to do business and sell their products into account.

Now, that is a diversion, agreed.

And my comments re preferred spelling are simply a (pronounced) personal preference, one I cannot expect or hope to enforce, - of course not - but which, I shall still state, given that the title of this threads invites such opinions.

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
Skeptical rarely trumps sceptical, and I only became aware of the first spelling when I was at university in America.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.