Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors or MacRumours

• MacRumours

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • MacRumors

Votes: 136 59.4%
  • Do not care either way

Votes: 44 19.2%

• Total voters

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Skeptical rarely trumps sceptical, and I only became aware of the first spelling when I was at university in America.

I don't know what's more alarming - that I never knew my friends overseas spelled it 'sceptical', or that I never noticed Scepticalscribe's spelling. Either way, I feel shame. :)

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Not really.

Nowadays, Apple is a global company seeking to sell to consumers world wide, and has a global profile.

Now, once upon an increasingly distant time, it was indeed a niche company selling exquisitely designed computers, but now it can afford to ignore its computing arm and sell it as a loss leader, for the company derives most of its income from other products such as iPhones, for which there is a growing international market.

More to the point, increasingly, it outsources its manufacturing to third parties and this takes place in countries such as China, and, moreover, it sought to minimise the tax it paid in the US (and the EU) through its subsidiaries in its European (EU) HQ, in Ireland, which gave rise to robust responses from both the EU and the US government.

Well, yes, but a surprisingly large number of members of this site do not hail from the US.
In the Portuguese Wikipedia space, you have writers from Portugal and writers from Brazil (or Brasil as they spell it). There are different spelling conventions between Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. That can be a problem when different people are writing in the same articles. They have reached a compromise that they will respect each other’s spelling conventions. They will use their own when writing new material but they will not try to “correct” the spellings of existing material. Ultimately these differences are, in part, arbitrary and as long as the meaning is not lost, it is not worth fighting over.

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
From Merriam-Webster:

Rumour - chiefly British variant of rumor

From Leopard dictionary:

rumor |ˈroōmər| ( Brit. rumour)

The spelling with the u is primarily British.
The spelling without the u is American. British spellings are used around the world, just like American ones are.

IMG_2843.png

Purple is Canadian spelling, which uses ‘rumour.’ Red is British spelling. Yellow is Australian spelling :). I hope you realize how your argument is pretty short sighted. But this isn’t commentary on whether MacRumors should be changed or not.

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
In the Portuguese Wikipedia space, you have writers from Portugal and writers from Brazil (or Brasil as they spell it). There are different spelling conventions between Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. That can be a problem when different people are writing in the same articles. They have reached a compromise that they will respect each other’s spelling conventions. They will use their own when writing new material but they will not try to “correct” the spellings of existing material. Ultimately these differences are, in part, arbitrary and as long as the meaning is not lost, it is not worth fighting over.
This is how it is in the English Wikipedia as well.

Reactions: Tagbert

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Nowadays, Apple is a global company seeking to sell to consumers world wide, and has a global profile.

It's an American company unless your main goal is to argue endlessly on the internet.

Well, yes, but a surprisingly large number of members of this site do not hail from the US.

That doesn't matter. As I said before, I don't expect Americans to spell colour with a u, and they don't expect me to spell colour without a u. This is an incredibly simple concept. There is nothing "humble" about thinking that just because you come from another country, someone's website in another part of the world should be spelled the way your country spells it. That's actually quite arrogant.

If you want to coexist in a global community you might start by learning that different countries spell things differently, and that's OK.

Ultimately I know you won't be convinced, but I'll just have faith that most reasonable people understand that you let people write in their native language as long as you can understand it.

Last edited:
  • Love

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
In Britain what is called a 'wank' in America is called a 'wang' . . . so what is the mental version of that called in these forums [err, fora]? Probably plain old 'mental masturbation'. :)

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
Ah, well, at 61 years of age I am always ready to learn something new: and, especially as I run a language school I will now be able to make sure my pupils know the difference between 'wank' and 'wang': in fact, thinking about things I might call that lesson plan 'one long schlong' to avoid confusion. :)

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
As metres/meters and all that decimal crap was thought up by French revolutionaries, I cannot wait until my country, Scotland, becomes independent and reverts to 'useful' units such as shillings, feet, Scots miles [these should not be confused with 'Scotch' miles, which are units calibrated in glasses of whisky], ells, pints Scots [1 pint Scots = 4 English pints = 5 US pints: marvellous for beer drinking], after all, even if nothing else, we really will be 'independent', so independent in fact that the rest of the world will be unable to do business with us. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As metres/meters and all that decimal crap was thought up by French revolutionaries, I cannot wait until my country, Scotland, becomes independent and reverts to 'useful' units such as shillings, feet, Scots miles [these should not be confused with 'Scotch' miles, which are units calibrated in glasses of whisky], ells, pints Scots [1 pint Scots = 4 English pints = 5 US pints: marvellous for beer drinking], after all, even if nothing else, we really will be 'independent', so independent in fact that the rest of the world will be unable to do business with us. :)

I’d love nothing more than to see that happen, fingers crossed for you all up there.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
Easily sorted by giving the English a vote!

Seriously, the Scots would be independent tomorrow.

Re this thread, it’s an American site so rumors. Same way that Fleetwood Mac are an English band so it’s Rumours.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
It would be better for England as well as Scotland if Scotland were independent. Just as long as there is no racism in either direction, and mutual respect between 2 sovereign nations.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
What's standard English? American English deviated from Standard English after the United States of America was founded.
And the US split from England before spelling settled into what the earlier poster would consider “standard”. Look at spelling in the 18th century and you will see all kinds of different spellings. There is no official standard spelling in English as there is no official standard body. There is just common usage and it does not agree 100% across all English speakers. If there were a standards body maybe we would cleanup some of the spelling complexities (which might decide to remove some superfluous “u”’s). I’m looking at you “debt”.
😊

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
And the US split from England before spelling settled into what the earlier poster would consider “standard”. Look at spelling in the 18th century and you will see all kinds of different spellings. There is no official standard spelling in English as there is no official standard body. There is just common usage and it does not agree 100% across all English speakers. If there were a standards body maybe we would cleanup some of the spelling complexities (which might decide to remove some superfluous “u”’s). I’m looking at you “debt”.
😊
If there was a "u" in "debt", it would make it "debut". 😁

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
In Britain what is called a 'wank' in America is called a 'wang' . . . so what is the mental version of that called in these forums [err, fora]? Probably plain old 'mental masturbation'. :)
When I see "Wang", I think king, as in 王 but that's not for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.