Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I've found that some websites are not working correctly* in Safari 17 on macOS 12.7.

* as intended, and as in other browsers including Safari 16

eg. Dropbox (or Apple Feedback Assistant website!)
  1. try to use the site
  2. very slow to load
  3. even slower to respond to interactions
  4. will eventually reload itself because of problems
  5. some page elements are laid out incorrectly
  6. clicking links does not work
Note: making my window smaller *might* improve matters, but it's hard to say definitively.

My "workaround" was to downgrade back to Safari 16 by reinstalling macOS 12.7 (12GB download) which puts you back on Safari 15.6.1 and then installing the separate 16.6.1 updater download (so, not via System Update).

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Same issue here, Firefox works fine. IT is happening with my Macbook Pro as well with old version of Safari so its not the update its something odd going on. You SHOULD NOT post your serial number online.

Last edited:
Reactions: tylerlovesapple

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Somebody asked me if it could be an extension I'm using, eg. 1Blocker, etc. I'm using lots and didn't have time to disable each one so it was quicker for me to reinstall macOS overnight and it be ready to use in the morning.

Do you use any extensions?

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Somebody asked me if it could be an extension I'm using, eg. 1Blocker, etc. I'm using lots and didn't have time to disable each one so it was quicker for me to reinstall macOS overnight and it be ready to use in the morning.

Do you use any extensions?
No it seemed to be some kind of Apple glitch as after resetting my router, taking it off the internet and back on Safari is now working as it should. It was weird because this was also happening on my old macbook pro 2012 running Catalina, Firefox was working but Safari was not, very strange.

Last edited:

dhazeghi

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2006
I made the mistake of upgrading to Safari 17 and macOS 12.7 at the same time, so I can't tell which is at fault, but:
-google (and many other sites) input fields show white text on a white background (unusable)
-CPU usage spikes across 4-8 cores scrolling on many forum websites such as XenForo (MBP M1 Pro) even when the website is cached

I'm not impressed. I really wanted to wait for 14.2 or 14.3 Sonoma before upgrading but I may have to bite the bullet.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Reactions: MBAir2010

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I'm sticking with Safari 16 until at least 17.2 or so is proven good.

And won't upgrade to Sonoma until macOS 14.2 or so.

It's just not worth it for me to destabilise my setup. My work is more important.

No feedback at all on the bug report I sent to Apple. Sadly all too typical.

Safari has been normal since I did the reboot and reset the router routine but I hear yeah stability and dependability is more important than running the latest updates

nmt1900

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2021
Safari 17 is a big "issue" in itself. Apple was years behind in implementing multi-profile support in Safari - while Webkit-based Orion has it already.

For now Safari 17 profile handling is half-baked and incomplete "below-beta-level" feature at best while multi-profile support in Orion is comparable to one in Chromium-based browsers. Time will tell how long it takes for this feature to be usable - pace of Safari development and release cycle does not give too much reason to be overly optimistic...

Reactions: cadec

Kubat

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Poland
I've found that some websites are not working correctly* in Safari 17 on macOS 12.7.
I have the same issue, safari is unusable. Its a first time I'm affected by apple shenanigans and sloppy work. Very disappointed. Especially that I can't do anything about it, as im in the middle of a project for weeks to come 😞😡

Reactions: cadec

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
For me it went from no issues at all in macOS 13.6 and having certain web sites, not all, like duckduckgo graphically freeze after load so you cannot visibly click links, not scroll nor edit the search terms.

Reloading does not help, but if you keep clicking without visual feedback and go to a site, then go back again to duckduckgo, you can do everything.

Similar issues on other sites, though not that many.

I have tried without add-ons and it makes no difference.

Reactions: svintuss and cadec

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I upgraded again to Safari 17 today (on 12.7) and all seems well.

Meanwhile I had removed some old userscripts from Tampermonkey, maybe they were causing the problem?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Again and again I will say and tell people if your system works the way you like it, stop upgrading. I miss the features they took away more than I want the new ones.
I don't update Safari to get new features, I update Safari so that I don't get hacked.
WebKit CVE-2023-41993 "Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited"
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213941
For more of the same, search WebKit in the Known Exploited Vulnerabilities Catalog https://www.cisa.gov/known-exploited-vulnerabilities-catalog

Reactions: MikB

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Safari 17 works excellent on Monterey 12.7 via an OWC G3 500GB external drive on a MacBook Air M1 8gb.
I dont YouTube (sorry OP) or use anything google, misscosoft or news sites at all.
actually I find the speeds faster than Sonoma and more responsive.

I will install OCLP Monterey on a MBP_'12_'13 intel i7 today and see how safari and Monterey work on that.
/not to undermine anyone grievances, just because I am perform this upgrade.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Yeah it's all going well for me now.

The only site that is slow on my setup is when typing comments on GitHub but I'm pretty sure it's a rogue UserScript or something on my side.

svintuss

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
I can confirm issues with Safari 17.1 on Monterey 12.7.1.
DuckDuckGo intermittently freezes and stops responding to scrolling.

Engender

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
Almost once a day, Safari 17.2 completely crashes. I reopen the app, and then, after a few minutes, Safari freezes. It's really annoying.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
I experience a few:

• Scrolling stops working on certain pages
  • Address field search suggestions often doesn't work
  • Web page color effect in address bar doesn't change when switching tab groups

Reactions: Furka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.