Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
hmmm. that don’t look good at all 🤨.
unsurprisingly, Apple never seem to respond directly to these crash reports automatically sent to them - which is a shame, in my opinion.
They can't answer tens of thousands of reporters, but they do analyse and note crash reports. Probably store these as well somehow.
To get a response you talk to Apple support. The quality of which varies wildly, but see it as a sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: SalisburySam

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Reiterating that it's kinda important to report issues directly to Apple, using their Feedback forms. I'm convinced they affect the development teams, but we should know our issues aren't the only issues. There is a priority. Sometimes its skewed to say the least, but staying silent is guaranteeing nothing will happen.

To give feedback on Safari use Feedback form Safari.

I just sent this:

"Safari 17.3.1:

Prerequisite:
having duckduckgo as primary search engine in Settings.

Do:
search by entering terms in the address bar and press return-key.

Happens:
results are shown at duckduckgo.com, but scrolling doesn't work as all content is frozen in place.

Expected:
results being shown at duckduckgo.com and scrolling to work normally."

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Just an idea:

If people post sites where scrolling doesn't work, others can try to see if this is true also for them. This could be useful info for tracking down the cause for this no scroll issue. Workable?

For me, this basically only happens with duckduckgo.com when searching from the address bar.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I made the mistake of upgrading to Safari 17 and macOS 12.7 at the same time, so I can't tell which is at fault, but:
-google (and many other sites) input fields show white text on a white background (unusable)
-CPU usage spikes across 4-8 cores scrolling on many forum websites such as XenForo (MBP M1 Pro) even when the website is cached

I'm not impressed. I really wanted to wait for 14.2 or 14.3 Sonoma before upgrading but I may have to bite the bullet.

Still happening in Apple's Safari 17.3.1. Unfortunately this is the garbage you get when a company is more obsessed with yearly upgrades instead of fixing the existing problems. The blue bar below is supposed to show black text.

Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 4.03.54 PM.png

Reactions: madrich

halledise

macrumors 68000
Still happening in Apple's Safari 17.3.1. Unfortunately this is the garbage you get when a company is more obsessed with yearly upgrades instead of fixing the existing problems. The blue bar below is supposed to show black text.

View attachment 2349051
i’m running safari 17.3 with monterey totally sans issue, so i fail to understand why some users are having problems.
that said, i find duckduckgo’s new browser to be much easier and secure to use.
just a personal preference.
a suggestion, if i may - move away from googlay as your search engine.
they’re snoops and possible part of the prob?
just have to look at the memory hog ‘chrome’ to realise their weird intent

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I don't have problems with safari freezing, the issue I have with safari is some websites like the national weather service chicago page opens, but if wanting to open another tab in that site, the new tab constantly closes with this website has repeatedly encountered a problem and was closed. It does not do that in firefox, or ddg browsers or ew chrome browser. That is really my main annoyance with safari.... I actually prefer safari over the others.

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
I have freezing issues on Safari 17.3 and I isolated the problem to the AdGuard for Safari extension. I disabled it and left the other AdGuard content blocker extensions active to fix the issues.

MikB

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013

View attachment 2349051
OK, but I don't see that in Safari 17.3.1 on macOS 13.6.4. This means this is not systemic to Safari. Could still be a bug, certainly for Monterey, but it's not reproducible for everyone using Safari 17.3.1.

Or it could be a setting. What about extensions?

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
OK, but I don't see that in Safari 17.3.1 on macOS 13.6.4. This means this is not systemic to Safari. Could still be a bug, certainly for Monterey, but it's not reproducible for everyone using Safari 17.3.1.

Or it could be a setting. What about extensions?

No extensions installed. Duplicated on two systems with fresh installs of Monterey 12.7.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.