Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AriaAmaris

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
Weird that you don’t mention a really obvious downside… the notch in landscape makes it really difficult to use in portrait. On a phone this might be acceptable (it’s commonly used in landscape for single purposes like games or videos). But on a tablet, that most people will use half of the time or more on portrait, it doesn’t
Do they still suffer massively with jelly scrolling? I had a Samsung tablet from work for a short period (returned as I didn’t use it ) and the jelly scrolling used to make me feel sick.
I checked mine and there is definitely some jelly scrolling and even lagging in portrait mode. Mine pretty much sits in a bag in the closet. Under the right conditions the display is amazing. But it struggles to be consistent. Lack of 5g is signifcant.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Android Tablet (at least for the Galaxy Tabs) has actually improved tremendously. Hell the Galaxy Tabs are the only worthy iPad alternative.

You know what Android Tablet has that iPadOS doesn't? A tablet Instagram app. A desktop mode that isn't garbage. Oh, AND A CALCULATOR APP

it's not a tablet app though. it's just a desktop verison. just like it looks ok on ipad with stage manager only.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Android Tablet (at least for the Galaxy Tabs) has actually improved tremendously. Hell the Galaxy Tabs are the only worthy iPad alternative.

You know what Android Tablet has that iPadOS doesn't? A tablet Instagram app. A desktop mode that isn't garbage. Oh, AND A CALCULATOR APP

Meanwhile, on my iPad...

1) I have been using notability to teach in the classroom since 2012. 10+ years later, and notability, goodreader or PDF Expert still have not come to android.

2) Tweetbot and Apollo were great to browse social media with while they lasted. Together with Overcast (for podcasts), Ivory (for Mastodon), Lumafusion (video editing), 1password, Spark (email client), Fantastical, Mindnode (mind mapping), Things (task manager) as well as games like Battleheart Legacy, Slay the Spire and Grimvalor (which came to iOS way before android).

3) Calculator app - so long as you are willing to pay, I had Soulver, Tydlig (now discontinued sadly) and Pcalc.

4) We did have a tablet Instagram app (a third party one called Fastfeed), which sadly, lasted only a while before Instagram yanked access. 😕

I imagine I would be both lost and irritated were I to switch to an android tablet and find that so many of the apps I have come to love and rely on weren't available, and I had to settle for alternatives that didn't work as well. If you are at all concerned with the quality of apps, where people spend 90% of their phone time using, then Android is a garbage fire overall.

There is just no contest here.

Odan

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2023
Android means no interest from me. Every time I’m exposed to a Google interface like their online logins and services, I cannot believe how people use that awfulness. I only use it for YouTube, but it’s still a nightmare. Doesn’t matter how big or fancy the hardware is, the Google software just doesn’t impress me. Every time I get to try a random android in a store it’s the same conclusion, it just feels inferior.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
M iPads are more than capable of running MacOS. When will apple allow desktop/tablet switching. Probably never to protect their line.

Not really, there's more to running MacOS than just having an M chip - SSD space, RAM, need for keyboard and mouse...

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
As we come up to iPhone 15 time I am thinking about it but it is a significant investment. I’d keep the Mac but to replace the iPhone with S23U and the IPad with the S9U would be circa £2500. The last time I did it (Note 10+) I lasted about 6 months before moving back

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Damn 14.6 inches is great. Would love to see a 16" to replace my LG Gram 16 2-in-1, although not sure if I want to downgrade from Windows to Android.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I’ve been tempted to move to android for the last three years. Haven’t quite got around to pulling the trigger because I’ve been an Apple products consumer for so dog-gone long. I do believe that Apple makes the better hardware mousetrap. Even so, I do not believe Apple has cornered the market on emerging technologies. Samsung is much more bold in this regard, and I do really like the size of the S9 Ultra. Perhaps the S10 Ultra will ultimately sway me.

Reactions: richarddib

richarddib

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Biggest advantage of the Samsung tablet is that using DeX you can run ANY android app in a window, resize them at will, and run them side by side with any other app.

On iPad the iPhone apps run in a weird aspect ratio and can't be run side by side with others. Some apps like Robinhood do NOT support the iPad OS natively and it sucks big time running them on an iPad. You can't have for example Robinhood and Tradingview side by side on an iPad.

richarddib

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Beats the hell out of iPadOS. It's why I switched from my (many) iPad Pros to the Samsung. I still love Macs, but Android beats the everloving crap out of iOS, at least on tablets.
And on phones. My ZFold 5 is superior to any iPhone. I also still use Macs as well.

• Haha
Reactions: DarthDon

richarddib

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
I’ve been tempted to move to android for the last three years. Haven’t quite got around to pulling the trigger because I’ve been an Apple products consumer for so dog-gone long. I do believe that Apple makes the better hardware mousetrap. Even so, I do not believe Apple has cornered the market on emerging technologies. Samsung is much more bold in this regard, and I do really like the size of the S9 Ultra. Perhaps the S10 Ultra will ultimately sway me.
I made the switch on phones after the iPhone XR. Currently using a zFold 5 (upgraded from a zFold 3). I also switched to Samsung tablets because iPhone apps do not run well on iPad, but Samsung runs any app in multiple windows with DeX.

Samsung only needs a faster processor on their tablets. That's where they are lacking.

I am still using Macs. I just do not like Windows.

richarddib

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2016
Android means no interest from me. Every time I’m exposed to a Google interface like their online logins and services, I cannot believe how people use that awfulness. I only use it for YouTube, but it’s still a nightmare. Doesn’t matter how big or fancy the hardware is, the Google software just doesn’t impress me. Every time I get to try a random android in a store it’s the same conclusion, it just feels inferior.
Everytime Apple asks me for passwords, to authenticate my access in OTHER Apple devices, and locks me up for 48 hours because I don't have that other device handy THAT IS WHEN I get to appreciate Android a LOT.

Also, when I try to run Robinhood and Tradingview together in an iPad and the iPad insists in running Robinhood in a 4:3 aspect ratio by itself ... that is when I realize Android is superior.

Also, everytime I open my zFold 5 and go into tablet form ... that is when I realize that iPhones are extremelly inferior.

IOS feels so old with all the restrictions. Not being able to put whatever you want wherever on the screen you want is just idiotic. Why do they keep doing that??

I don't think you even know what Android really is ...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
so it is possible!:
OLED in iPad size screen
Touch ID under display
Face ID in both orientations
Camera on both orientations
Air commands with a “pencil”.
What are you waiting Apple????

Just because Apple could doesn’t mean they should.

I grow increasingly convinced that people’s idea of “innovation” simply consists of mindlessly parroting spec lists from elsewhere, with no consideration of whether it even makes sense for Apple to do this, or the implications on the end user.

Reactions: GuruZac

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
Beats the hell out of iPadOS. It's why I switched from my (many) iPad Pros to the Samsung. I still love Macs, but Android beats the everloving crap out of iOS, at least on tablets.
they are just toys with no safety at all. Ask my boss, he lost a freaking amount of money because of that. Sure - they cost less and linux world is another thing. But android? No way...

Reactions: Odan and Jovijoker

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have the Tab S8 Ultra and iPad Pro 12.9 M2.

The S8 Ultra keyboard cover is better on soft surfaces like the couch or bed. The Floating Magic Keyboard for the iPad likes to tip over on soft surfaces and sometimes on my lap if not careful. The Floating Magic Keyboard is definitely better for carrying it around without closing it. The Magic Keyboard lacks an ESC key (Yes, that annoys me). The S-Pen cover built into the keyboard cover is a huge plus. Wish the Magic Keyboard had that for the Pencil.

Samsung seemed to cheap out with the Tab S9 Ultra. No free keyboard cover included with pre orders. The S8 Ultra pre order came with a free keyboard cover.
Your ESC Key is not needed: COMMAND . will do what the ESC key does. Even on a Mac.

Snewbanks

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
iPhone user since 4s and iPad user for many years (mini for pilot) and Pro 12.9 for daily use.
I preordered the S9 Ultra to try it out for ***** and gigs. I AM BLOWN AWAY at the S9 Ultra. For what I use the iPad/Tablet for on a daily basis the s9 Ultra is by far the superior tablet. The screen is absolutely stunning, the s-pen actually writes well, the multi-tasking is actually really nice, the Dex (I did not think I would use Dec), but damn its actually a nice feature to have. I purchased a small foldable keyboard with small stand to pair with theSs9 Ultra and with Dex it's much better than the 12.9 Pro.

The only negative so far is the seamless transition from iPhone, to iPad, and my Mac. It's not as convenient, but I am sure I will get over it eventually as I plan on trading in my 12.9 Pro for the S9 Ultra. Also I am most likely trading in my 13 Pro Max for the S24 Ultra early 2024.

(EDIT: Also no 5G support for the S9 Ultra which sucks, but I guess I will use my phone hotspot or by a used Verizon hotspot since I am already paying for the line.)

The only Apple device will be my Mac and I'm not leaving that anytime soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.