Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 15 Pro have a sharp edge between the back cover glass and the titanium frame?

• Yes

Votes: 116 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 181 60.9%

• Total voters

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
I have just received my iPhone 15 Pro in natural titanium and discovered an issue which is quite annoying when using the phone without a case:

The edge between the glass back and the titanium frame is not chamfered or rounded but very sharp, you can clearly feel it while holding it normally and you can also hear it when swiping across the edge with a fingernail. Right side is a bit sharper than the other.

Not an issue with my 14 Pro or 13 Pro.

//edit – Macro picture attached with edit.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-22 um 16.57.13.png

Last edited:

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I guess this could be an issue if you go caseless but when you have a case in this should not matter right?

Reactions: Kinggi

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
I watched this youtuber from Switzerland a few days ago. He also mentioned the sharp edges between the glass and the titanium. At 6:30 minutes.
He also mentions that he noticed that problem with the units at the event in Cupterino as well. Hence this appears to be affecting a large (if not all) iPhone 15 Pro units. I use the phone without a case so this is a dealbreaker, very disappointing. It is really noticeable and annoying while using the phone.

A bit ironic that they are advertising even rounder edges but the other edges are much sharper than before.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
Here you go, two macro pictures of said edge. Especially the second picture shows the edge very well.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-22 um 16.50.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-22 um 16.52.44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dantay and Lex404

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
You're holding it wrong.

J/K. Wow that's not good though. A lot of people like going caseless. Gonna be a pretty big issue if it affects all phones.
It should also collect a lot of dust, especially with the darker colors.

eksela

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Also noticing this, annoying… I want to go caseless as always. Do you guys think it’ll become less sharp over time?

Reactions: antiprotest

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
Also noticing this, annoying… I want to go caseless as always. Do you guys think it’ll become less sharp over time?
I will notify Apple about this issue and I think they read the posts in here as well. They should be able to fix this in manufacturing over time I suppose. I'll give it another month or so until I buy another one.

Everyone who notices this should call them, that should get it fixed sooner.

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
Not a chance. Two solid materials, glass and titanium, a replacement with better assembly is your only option here, and at this point, who knows if they even exist, I will assume apples design tolerances were perfect and this is an assembly issue, if it becomes a big deal, Apple will eventually look into improving qc on assembly line.

Reactions: dantay and bnekic

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Just opened my white titanium Pro and it doesn’t have this problem, the glass transitions evenly to the edge of the titanium all the way round. I wouldn’t however say you can’t feel there are two different materials coming together but there is no sharp raised edge.

I would imagine we will see this issue being reported more and more as the new (more repairable) rear glass assembly is now installed separately during final assembly and minutest differences in adhesive/glass/band thickness can result in slightly raised glass that would probably go unnoticed and slightly sunken glass resulting in a sharp edge noticeable whilst holding.

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
Apple knows how to do curved glass to metal edges, look at Apple Watch, iPhone 6-11… this is almost certainly coming down to rushed assembly, or an assembly line not being set up properly.

Reactions: Cape Dave and Velin

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
Just opened my white titanium Pro and it doesn’t have this problem, the glass transitions evenly to the edge of the titanium all the way round. I wouldn’t however say you can’t feel there are two different materials coming together but there is no sharp raised edge.

I would imagine we will see this issue being reported more and more as the new (more repairable) rear glass assembly is now installed separately during final assembly and minutest differences in adhesive/glass/band thickness can result in slightly raised glass that would probably go unnoticed and slightly sunken glass resulting in a sharp edge noticeable whilst holding.
This ^^^

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Weren’t some of the previous pro iPhones made in India that had this issue once before? I don’t remember which iPhone it was, but I do remember reading complaints about some of the quality control issues like this. I was actually discussing this issue with A. store manager at computer dimensions which is a Apple retailer, I don’t actually have an Apple Store here where I live. He was saying that if these phones were made in India, then you’re probably gonna have design flaws and issues like the shown. since you have that sharp edge, I wonder if the gap is large enough to let water in to where it’s no longer water resistant?

Reactions: Calleb

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
I thought it was reported only 15 and 15 plus were being assembled in India for launch? Pro was still being assembled in China.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
I do wonder how widespread this issue is and would like to see others who are reading this thread to report their findings.

Thank you! :)

Reactions: AdamInKent

MoonCakeTropics

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
A friend of mine and I just got our iPhone 15 Pro Max, and both of us noticed the glass is slightly down below the edge of the titanium band. And it creates this cheese grater like effect when your fingers rub over the glass out past the band that it cuts at your fingers like a cheese grater.

It's really rather unpleasant and actually giving me these little paper cut like scuffs when I dont pay attention to it.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The top glass, for both of us, is fine an smoothly transitions to the band. But the back is like a mini cheese grater, and really not usable. Curious if it's just us that got a bum build or is this a design "feature" of the new phones?

Updated with Photo: Tried to get a shot of how the glass is inset/counter-sunk a little. Tough to get an angle that really shows it, but your fingers definitely feel it.

1695407202082.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.