Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 15 Pro have a sharp edge between the back cover glass and the titanium frame?

• Yes

Votes: 116 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 181 60.9%

• Total voters

apple4522324

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
Yeah you're right, I hate going back and forth to the Apple Store every time and watching many YouTube videos about it. It's bad enough that I spent the whole weekend thinking about it. Plus, I am actually happy with my phone nothing is wrong with it, it's just that I have extreme OCD about this annoying sharp edges lol. I am using a case so that helps me get distracted from it.

I'm just going to return the 15 Pro Max today and think about either just keeping my 15 Pro or find alternatives. My 14 day is up this coming Sunday for that.
Im going to try another case but the spigen clear case ultra clear for me leaves marks on my palms and sometimes gives me a random sting. Not sure why but I don't think the sharp edge would be that strong its felt through a case? Im also on my 4th 15 pro all have had the sharp edges to some degree and im out of the 14 days. Wondering if AppleCare+ would fix it. I would prefer it just be fixed instead of exchanging and getting new phones lol. I just ordered a leather case online to try that one out to see how it is.

• Haha
Reactions: drew0020

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I understand some of these phones may not be perfect, but when you are concerned that Apple employees know you (and you have tried 8 - iPhone 15 Pros), maybe you need to take a step back.

Honestly, I’d slap a case on the phone and just enjoy the phone and life. I can’t imagine the time you’ve wasted trying to get a perfect phone (it doesn’t exist) I hope you can figure it out. Good luck!!
A case adds bulk and completely ruins the feel and aesthetic of the phone, making it much less enjoyable to me. So your case idea is useless.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
I decided to try the 15 Pro again and my current unit does have sharper edges than the first unit I tried. Not a fan. Noticed as soon as I grabbed it. Not major but def can be felt a bit. Gonna go back to a regular 15 tho so not sweating it until I go back to Apple to return this one.

Reactions: Grobaouche

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
To follow up on this problem, my 15 pro max passed away on Friday, didn't even make it one month. I was driving down the road and suddenly my screen flickered and turned green, It's been like that ever since. My rear glass is bulging out of the frame in the corner behind the lens assembly, never seen anything like it on any phone before, I can't imagine HOW this made it out of the factory? They must not be inspecting these phones at all, it's baffling. Macrumors really needs to do a story on this as this a big deal.

For everyone who has this, do not ignore it, check the rear glass to see if it's fitted properly and return the thing before it meets its demise like mine has.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Same issue here

It's not a sharp edge since it will not cut. But you can definitely feel the edge or gap.

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
So these QC issues have existed almost every iPhone release. I’ve had every iPhone since the 3G.

iPhone 3G: no issues
iPhone 4: heavy yellowing to screen(swapped probably 4 times)
iPhone 4s: no issues
iPhone 5: strange creaking noises from screen
iPhone 5s: strange creaking noises from screen
iPhone 6 Plus: returned because of the bending, android hiatus.
iPhone 6s Plus: rear camera autofocus buzzing(swapped)
iPhone 7 Plus: no issues
iPhone 8 Plus: no issues
iPhone XS Max: weird creaking from back glass(swapped)
iPhone 11 Pro Max: weird creaking from back glass(returned and switched to 11 pro, it was perfect)
iPhone 12 mini: no issues
iPhone 13 Pro: full housing repair through apple for rear glass loud creaking
iPhone 14 Pro: dust inside back lens, let it slide as it wasn’t too noticeable
iPhone 15 pro max: swapped for warranty replacement from large dust under back camera, ended up selling and buying a 15 pro. My 15 pro is flawless, no dust in any lens, no creaking, no sharp edges. A good thing to note is that if apple is swapping units, then there is an acknowledgment to these QC issues. We know these aren’t assembled by robots in a clean room, but when they are expensive, we expect perfection.

Reactions: Moukee

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
So these QC issues have existed almost every iPhone release. I’ve had every iPhone since the 3G.

iPhone 3G: no issues
iPhone 4: heavy yellowing to screen(swapped probably 4 times)
iPhone 4s: no issues
iPhone 5: strange creaking noises from screen
iPhone 5s: strange creaking noises from screen
iPhone 6 Plus: returned because of the bending, android hiatus.
iPhone 6s Plus: rear camera autofocus buzzing(swapped)
iPhone 7 Plus: no issues
iPhone 8 Plus: no issues
iPhone XS Max: weird creaking from back glass(swapped)
iPhone 11 Pro Max: weird creaking from back glass(returned and switched to 11 pro, it was perfect)
iPhone 12 mini: no issues
iPhone 13 Pro: full housing repair through apple for rear glass loud creaking
iPhone 14 Pro: dust inside back lens, let it slide as it wasn’t too noticeable
iPhone 15 pro max: swapped for warranty replacement from large dust under back camera, ended up selling and buying a 15 pro. My 15 pro is flawless, no dust in any lens, no creaking, no sharp edges. A good thing to note is that if apple is swapping units, then there is an acknowledgment to these QC issues. We know these aren’t assembled by robots in a clean room, but when they are expensive, we expect perfection.
Wow, that's a lot!

iPhone 4 and its yellow patches on the screen were annoying. Replaced a few times myself. Final one developed an annoying dull spot.

iPhone 6 also replaced a few times- poorly fitted screen that popped in and out of the frame on one corner one time, yellow patch/non-uniform screen another time, crazy image retention also. Rejected a few in store for failure to provide an equally lit white screen. Final one also developed an annoying dull spot, but I soon smashed the screen and it was replaced with a flawless knock off for $15 while I was in China. The final one also came locked to a carrier somehow, which was ridiculous, and took me hours to resolve. Direct from Apple, and ironically locked to the network I had moved onto by the time of the swap! Everyone denied it was possible! Damn iPhone 6 nearly put me off iPhones forever.

iPhone SE 2 was perfect.

Generally happy with my 15 Pro Max, though two niggles:

1, Yeah, there's an edge around the frame (white model), and you can catch your fingernail on it if you try. I always use a case though.

2, Screen is warm in colour at the top and cool at the bottom when the backlight is low at night. Somewhat jarring, but not like the old yellow or dull issues.

The gap around the edge isn't visible, but I'd rather it was flush because it's bound to get dirty.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Wonder how these reported variations plays with the “WR” IP rating…🤔

It eliminates it, my launch day 15 pro max has this issue in the rear glass, upper left corner by the cameras. Apple approved a replacement phone for me and sent it out, but then refused to give it to me because “foreign material” had got inside the phone. Yea well that’s because there’s a big gap between the frame and the glass!!

Apple has my phone right now, and they are sending it back to me, they refuse to replace or even repair it.

I don’t know what is going on inside Apple but it’s like a whole different company than it was 5-10 years ago. The level of customer service has become horrible, their tech support is weird, I haven’t been able to connect with anything that seems to really understand the issue or be able to help. I guess I’m pretty much on my own, they sold me a defective phone that no longer works and I’m out 1300 bucks.

How this issue hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves from this website and the media is pretty wild, the overheating issue which was nothing in comparison got a 💩 ton of coverage.

I’m furious about this, I’ve been robbed of 1300 dollars by Apple, and right now I am wondering if buying more Apple products is something I can ever do again. I have phones that are 15 years old that still work and were better made. I don’t want to go back to Android but at least RCS is coming next year so maybe a Pixel 9 pro will be my next phone.

Curious as to what others did to resolve this issue, I wish people followed up with info as to what happened.

• Wow
Reactions: Carlsberg69

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
It eliminates it, my launch day 15 pro max has this issue in the rear glass, upper left corner by the cameras. Apple approved a replacement phone for me and sent it out, but then refused to give it to me because “foreign material” had got inside the phone. Yea well that’s because there’s a big gap between the frame and the glass!!

Apple has my phone right now, and they are sending it back to me, they refuse to replace or even repair it.

I don’t know what is going on inside Apple but it’s like a whole different company than it was 5-10 years ago. The level of customer service has become horrible, their tech support is weird, I haven’t been able to connect with anything that seems to really understand the issue or be able to help. I guess I’m pretty much on my own, they sold me a defective phone that no longer works and I’m out 1300 bucks.

How this issue hasn’t gotten the attention it deserves from this website and the media is pretty wild, the overheating issue which was nothing in comparison got a 💩 ton of coverage.

I’m furious about this, I’ve been robbed of 1300 dollars by Apple, and right now I am wondering if buying more Apple products is something I can ever do again. I have phones that are 15 years old that still work and were better made. I don’t want to go back to Android but at least RCS is coming next year so maybe a Pixel 9 pro will be my next phone.

Curious as to what others did to resolve this issue, I wish people followed up with info as to what happened.
Sorry to hear this, and painful to hear Apple will not take responsibility for it! Can’t believe you’ve ended up in this sh*t position. Saw this coming when I saw the first reports of sharp edges, bad fit and gaps… it’s just not acceptable that you have to second guess apple’s latest and greatest +1k$ flagship like this. Flagsh*t. There must be more cases out there and it would be really interesting to hear more about it. Have no idea about the numbers here, case might be they are low since it’s a bit “silent”, but I agree it needs more space here in MR!

If you have this issue with sharp edges and “gap” take @redbeard331 story as a real pointer to address it to Apple immediately before any moisture or any other crap gets into the phone!!!

Reactions: redbeard331

Calleb

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2023
I live in Brasil and got an iPhone 15 Pro Natty Titanium. Had the same problem of the majority of users here, with the "grader effect". Unfortunately, in my country there are no much Apple Stores (only in Rio and São Paulo). So I called to the Apple Support and told my story, with photos and videos of the iPhone 15 Pro. The "advanced support" was quite comprehensive and told me he would request an "exception", which could be accepted or not. Now I'm waiting for Apple's response, but, considering the vast majority of iPhones 15 Pro with the same issue, I assume that the problem is relatively "normal", and, if Apple deny the substitution of the unity, I'll live with that, slapping a good case on.

Attachments

• IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Sorry to hear this, and painful to hear Apple will not take responsibility for it! Can’t believe you’ve ended up in this sh*t position. Saw this coming when I saw the first reports of sharp edges, bad fit and gaps… it’s just not acceptable that you have to second guess apple’s latest and greatest +1k$ flagship like this. Flagsh*t. There must be more cases out there and it would be really interesting to hear more about it. Have no idea about the numbers here, case might be they are low since it’s a bit “silent”, but I agree it needs more space here in MR!

If you have this issue with sharp edges and “gap” take @redbeard331 story as a real pointer to address it to Apple immediately before any moisture or any other crap gets into the phone!!!

Thanks, it’s been a very stressful, time consuming nightmare of an experience. I just got an email today from Apple that says that they will not fix or replace it, because according to them *I* “damaged the phone”. I’m still uncertain if they are even aware what the problem was in the first place as they are so unbelievably obtuse. I’m supposed to get the phone back tomorrow, and I will have to take more time off work to be at home waiting for the package to arrive. So overjoyed!

There were a lot of reports of this so Apple has to be aware of this, yet they are still ****ing me over.

Here’s some pics I took, you can see the glass is lifted up enough that it’s basically open to the elements, and you can see the dust getting inside.

Apple needs to make this right, are we going to need a lawsuit to get them to budge? And why doesn’t MacRumors cover this issue? This is far far worse than the overheating thing which was fixed by a software update! DSC03094.jpeg DSC03096.jpeg DSC03101.jpeg

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Thanks, it’s been a very stressful, time consuming nightmare of an experience. I just got an email today from Apple that says that they will not fix or replace it, because according to them *I* “damaged the phone”. I’m still uncertain if they are even aware what the problem was in the first place as they are so unbelievably obtuse. I’m supposed to get the phone back tomorrow, and I will have to take more time off work to be at home waiting for the package to arrive. So overjoyed!

There were a lot of reports of this so Apple has to be aware of this, yet they are still ****ing me over.

Here’s some pics I took, you can see the glass is lifted up enough that it’s basically open to the elements, and you can see the dust getting inside.

Apple needs to make this right, are we going to need a lawsuit to get them to budge? And why doesn’t MacRumors cover this issue? This is far far worse than the overheating thing which was fixed by a software update! View attachment 2326913 View attachment 2326912 View attachment 2326914
Agree!!! Jeezz. This is beyond scandal of low standards.

Reactions: redbeard331

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Agree!!! Jeezz. This is beyond scandal of low standards.

Yea their whole response has been to basically shrug their shoulders and act like I’m crazy for expecting them to stand by their products and replace a defective phone. Not sure what to do next, I’ve wasted so much time on this already, and I shouldn’t have to waste more trying to get them to do the right thing.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Yea their whole response has been to basically shrug their shoulders and act like I’m crazy for expecting them to stand by their products and replace a defective phone. Not sure what to do next, I’ve wasted so much time on this already, and I shouldn’t have to waste more trying to get them to do the right thing.

This may be a long shot, but if your back glass was actually bulging then claim battery swelling and demand a new one.

Nobody will touch it…

Last edited:

Calleb

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2023
I live in Brasil and got an iPhone 15 Pro Natty Titanium. Had the same problem of the majority of users here, with the "grader effect". Unfortunately, in my country there are no much Apple Stores (only in Rio and São Paulo). So I called to the Apple Support and told my story, with photos and videos of the iPhone 15 Pro. The "advanced support" was quite comprehensive and told me he would request an "exception", which could be accepted or not. Now I'm waiting for Apple's response, but, considering the vast majority of iPhones 15 Pro with the same issue, I assume that the problem is relatively "normal", and, if Apple deny the substitution of the unity, I'll live with that, slapping a good case on.
Update.

I went to the Apple Store at the Morumbi Shopping, in São Paulo, and, in about 4 hours, the Genius Bar solved my problem with the sharp edges. They substituted the titanium frame, which, to some extent, ended the problem with the sharp titanium. It is not perfect, but far more better than before. The Apple team was very resolutive and fast with the service.

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I bought a 15 Pro and I notice the same issue as well. It’s so disappointing that the flagship iPhones are being riddled with such issues.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Update.

I went to the Apple Store at the Morumbi Shopping, in São Paulo, and, in about 4 hours, the Genius Bar solved my problem with the sharp edges. They substituted the titanium frame, which, to some extent, ended the problem with the sharp titanium. It is not perfect, but far more better than before. The Apple team was very resolutive and fast with the service.
They swapped out the entire frame on your phone? That sounds like quite a hassle to completely disassemble it. I’m surprised they did that! But good to know they can and will.

mariomr99

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
A friend of mine and I just got our iPhone 15 Pro Max, and both of us noticed the glass is slightly down below the edge of the titanium band. And it creates this cheese grater like effect when your fingers rub over the glass out past the band that it cuts at your fingers like a cheese grater.

It's really rather unpleasant and actually giving me these little paper cut like scuffs when I dont pay attention to it.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The top glass, for both of us, is fine an smoothly transitions to the band. But the back is like a mini cheese grater, and really not usable. Curious if it's just us that got a bum build or is this a design "feature" of the new phones?

Updated with Photo: Tried to get a shot of how the glass is inset/counter-sunk a little. Tough to get an angle that really shows it, but your fingers definitely feel it.

View attachment 2276226
I think Apple is starting to make more poorly quality phones than Android...

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.