Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I can't even use it for HomeKit. If I tell my watch or phone to open the garage door, it will typically say it's taking a long time to respond then do nothing. If I open the home app and open it that way it works fine. Siri, even when she understands you, cannot reliably communicate with the rest of the OS.

MNLondon

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
London
Even though I speak very clear British English, Siri has a real issue understanding me. I wish it could be more like Alexa. With all the resources that Apple has, surely it could do a better job? I know it's supposedly free and there's no profit in it as such, but it could be an important selling point for all Apple devices. It could be a unique selling point, instead of a bit of a joke.

MNLondon

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
London
"Siri, play"

5 seconds later, music plays. I cannot imagine why this is so slow (I know, I know - it's only five seconds, but we all know it should be faster) and I don't see how A.I. is going to fix it. Kill it and rebuild.
I asked Siri to play "my Rumer playlist in Apple Music" , I even spelled it, and I got some sort of rock song which wasn't on a part of my library at all!!

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I asked Siri to play "my Rumer playlist in Apple Music" , I even spelled it, and I got some sort of rock song which wasn't on a part of my library at all!!
Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours is one of the best selling albums in history, so I suspect it played it or a pre-made playlist built around that album. It’s like creating a playlist without Beatles music and naming it Abbey Road.

• Haha
Reactions: AlumaMac

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, and rename it Joi.
This is actually more clever than at first glance. Joi will almost never get confused with words like "sherry", "surely", "shirley" etc. There are few common use words that ever sounds like "Joy", especially beginning sentences. Joi is also gender neutral, unlike Siri which is a common female name (in Norway).

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
For me Siri is getting better, maybe users have unrealistically expectations. It could be better yes, for basic task is very useful, for more detailed task or as a ChatBot ”ask me everything” Siri is not the right tool (maybe it doesn’t need to be used that way anyway).

Siri is know name changing it would be a mess for many, maybe.

I don’t know what the future will bring for Siri, but I’m sure whiners will whine in any case, both is Siri 2.0 is miserable but also if it is groundbreaking.
Siri is getting better for you?

I’ve been using Siri since the 4s in 2011. Back then it was more limited, but what it could do it did consistently.

Over the years Siris ability to hear me has decreased. Sometimes it’ll do exactly what I ask, other times it has no clue what I’m asking for. It’s like she’s coming down with digital dementia.

The other day I tried to start a timer and she told me I could learn more on Wikipedia.

God forbid you don’t have two hands available to reply to a text, and try to dictate anything more than a three-word response.

Siri is a well-acknowledged embarrassment. It’s like the blemish on the face of a good looking person that no one mentions because other than that blemish that person is solid.

But we all know it’s there. And if it wasn’t there that person would be way better-looking.

I wonder if Apple knows this, or they’re so up their own ass that they still think Siri is acceptable.

• Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
I remember an episode of the talkshow with John Gruber that took place right after WWDC a few years ago. Craig F. was on there, and someone asked about apples ability to keep up in the AI space because it required massive amounts of data and Apple is careful of peoples data and were they going to be all right. Craig looked very much on the defensive and said no it didn’t require a lot of data and they were going to be just fine or something to that effect. My point was that he looked on the defensive. They know Siri has problems. He was just too proud to admit to anything.

stuart not stew wart

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
KILL IT AND MAKE IT QUICK. DON'T GIVE IT A NAME, LET THE USER DECIDE. BUT MAKE IT WORK, MAKE IT FAST, MAKE IT CONSISTENT, AND GIVE US LOTS OF OPTIONS ON HOW TO CONFIGURE IT. ONE CRITICAL IDEA WOULD BE TO ENABLE IT TO RECORD ACTIONS SO THAT YOU CAN ASK IT TO REPEAT THE ACTION AND GIVE A VERBAL RESULT.

TommyE

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
A resounding YES. My experience has been that Siri is unreliable for all but the simplest requests. I have tried to use it on CarPlay for map directions and it fails consistently, often offering directions to totally unrelated locations. Google Maps verbally-requested directions via CarPlay are much more reliable. Siri's heuristic algorithm is a total joke.

michaeljk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
I really don’t understand the absolute fixation on Siri here.

Occasionally I ask it to call someone or set a timer. What other things do I need an “assistant” for in my daily life?

For those who compare it to things like chatGPT, are you looking for Siri to write essays for you or something?

Downvotes are easy, maybe explain what you actually want out of a “new” Siri? If I could go back to the Voice Commands prior to Siri I would 🤷‍♂️
I hope I can help you understand. All of these people, tech journalists, tech engineers, and nearly universal consumers (including me) have all said for years that Siri doesn't work right or well at the limited things it is supposed to be able to do. 10 years ago, I should have been able to tell Siri, "Hey Siri, text message to mom" and have it reliably respond, "what would you like to say to mom?" It sometimes does, but still does not reliably do this, in the car, on my watch, on the couch, or one of my home pods from another room will answer my query, and be ignored by my phone. Ugh!!! This is absolutely inexcusable. It is embarrassing, and some day will make me switch to Google's platform, which works at these things much, much better. Apple touts itself as being the leader in user experience, in user interface development, in "it just works." Siri is a user interface. It does not work.

As to asking "what other things do I need an "assistant" to do in my life?" it is not our job to figure this out. It is Apple's job. Steve Jobs was notoriously antagonistic to even the idea of using focus groups. His point was that Apple should be figuring out what people want, rather than people telling Apple what they want. This is called innovation. Apple has been so great at figuring out how to make things easier and better to use in so many ways. With Siri, it has done worse than fail at this. it has created a technology that is so bad you want to completely turn it off, even though you should be able to use it, and using it could make all of their products so much better. What a shame. I truly believe, if Apple doesn't dump the Siri it uses now, and start with something completely new, whatever its name might be, it could kill Apple as Apple's competition continues to leave Apple in the dust with AI. I really hope they aren't forcing all these new engineers and AI experts to shoehorn workable AI advances into the broken framework that is Siri. This might end up being the largest historical example of a company killing itself due to the sunk costs of time, money, energy and marketing into a strategy that has been a pitiful, laughable failure for 10 years. I still scratch my head and ask, how could Apple let this continue to happen? My answer, for now, is that they are doing enough other things correctly that Siri hasn't yet killed them.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
SIRI is terrible. It does not understand what I am asking for and usually cannot find much needed information. We always ask the same question of Google and immediately receive the answers that we wanted. Google is wayyy better then ignorent Siri.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.