Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dss10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I upgraded to IOS 9 (iPhone 6) and now Siri is silent....... It works but I cannot hear the voice response. The wave form is showing on the screen when I press the home button and I can get responses on the screen to verbal requests but nothing comes out of the speakers. Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
did you check the voices in the the siri settings to which one is set. You can toggle to hear the voices. Also maybe turn siri on and off in toggle.

dss10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Turned Siri off and on and still no voice. In the settings panel, when the voice is changed the new voice a prompt plays but still no voice response to requests. I did a reboot and that didn't help either.....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Turned Siri off and on and still no voice. In the settings panel, when the voice is changed the new voice a prompt plays but still no voice response to requests. I did a reboot and that didn't help either.....
How about the Voice Feedback setting in Siri settings? How about Siri's volume when Siri is on the screen?

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Also am experiencing this. Seems to be affecting a very small number of users. After digging through reddit, I learned that a backup then restore to iTunes fixes this. Haven't tried it myself, though.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
2 of our phones are having the same issue. Our 5C and 6 are both Siri silent. The reset to do is not all settings, but just the reset network settings? Please confirm.

dss10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
2 of our phones are having the same issue. Our 5C and 6 are both Siri silent. The reset to do is not all settings, but just the reset network settings? Please confirm.

See post #7 above. I used the top reset option in the reset menu "Reset All Settings." This left all of my data but I have about an hours worth of work to get everything configured the way I like it.....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sorry, that was not clear. Mine is set to "Always On", right?
That would make sense. Assuming that Siri's volume is up as well it should be working. I think there was a suggestion to change voices to see if that would perhaps do anything.

Having said all that, do similar functionalities like speakerphone or playback of music work fine?

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
That would make sense. Assuming that Siri's volume is up as well it should be working. I think there was a suggestion to change voices to see if that would perhaps do anything.

Having said all that, do similar functionalities like speakerphone or playback of music work fine?

Yes, they all work.

This is my fault. If I had read another thread before this one, I would have seen that Siri is now silent to start by design. It is not an option.

Reactions: Mac2me

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, they all work.

This is my fault. If I had read another thread before this one, I would have seen that Siri is now silent to start by design. It is not an option.
Wait, are you talking about the Siri beep/chime? Or are you talking about not being able to hear the voice of Siri providing a reply when you ask or request something?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The beep or chime to prompt one to ask something.
Yeah, that's not there anymore for iPhones unless you are using the phone hands-free.

This thread was about not getting voice responses from Siri and that's basically what all the suggestions and questions were about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.