Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SounderAU

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Australia
I spoke too soon..... Siri is silent again...... How long till the next point release....

You are not alone.

She was working fine on mine up until yesterday (or maybe the day before) when she went silent. I haven't tried resetting anything just yet.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
This has been happening nonstop since iOS 9 Beta 5 w/ iTunes 12.2.2.25 and onwards on the iPhone 6

Now it's happening to me with the iPhone 6s with iOS 9.0.1 with the newest iTunes.

I can't figure out why at some point Siri goes in to this silence. I've even filed a report and Apple said it doesn't happen.

dss10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Installed 9.0.1, still no Siri. I'll be resetting as a new device today on advise from Apple support to see if that will fix it....

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
After 1 -2 days, I plug it to the comp to sync with iTunes ... BAMMM Siri goes silent.

asamoa6150

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
In my case, Siri's voice comes back if I change it to any voice other than the default one, including the American Male version. I don"t want to do a hard reset or reset any settings or anything like that so I"m just going to wait it out.

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
9.0.1 is out for North American users so it should be releasing any day now for the rest of the world

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
9.0.1 is out for North American users so it should be releasing any day now for the rest of the world
What? Shouldn't be out for everyone at the same time? And what does that have to do with Siri (and it being quiet for some sometimes)?

Last edited:

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
In my case, Siri's voice comes back if I change it to any voice other than the default one, including the American Male version. I don"t want to do a hard reset or reset any settings or anything like that so I"m just going to wait it out.
Same here. I had a 5S that didn't have Siri issues and hadn't updated to 9.0.1 before trading in for a new 6S today. I didn't try Siri on the 6S before updating to 9.0.1 when I got home and restored from a backup and updating. But now Siri is silent. I switch her to another voice and it works fine like you said. Also going to wait it out because I'm not dealing with resetting all my settings.

Voiceover (which I hate and accidentally activate all the time) also doesn't work while you have your Siri voice set to the default female. If you change your Siri voice to, say, British English, but leave your Voiceover voice alone, then Voiceover will start working with the default voice again, too. Clearly a bug.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Siri is silent now by design. Its Not a fault.

Ask Siri "why don't you beep anymore"

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
There is a fault though in that she vibrates instead but only some of the time.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
We are talking about the voice feedback, not the notification "beep" alert

The "beep" alert is when your iPhone is plugged to charge and you when use Hey Siri at any given time on the IP6s on non vibrate mode.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Even starting with new device without syncing a back up still makes Siri silent when you plug into iTunes to sync the next day.

Cant believe I did all that manual setup lastnight.

Currently using Windows 7 iTunes 64BIT

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
She's probably tired. It's been a busy few weeks, what with all the 'hey Siri' from the beginning of Sep, she probably needs a holiday.
Imagine you're in a car full of petulant children asking 'are we there yet?'

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Friend of mine is getting this issue too on his 6s. I've not seen anyone else with the problem though (I've set up dozens since launch day). All my devices are fine.

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
Same thing happened to be on a 5S with the iOS 9.0 update (maybe 9.0.1 too, I recent got the 6S+ so not 100% which version of 9 I had on the 5S). American Female and Male both didn't work. American British worked though.. and the plus side is her annunciation is really good... "Take Treeline Boooooleeeevard". After restore to 6S+ the problem no longer exists, so I would bet that a backup -> restore would fix it.

Reactions: nanogirl21

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Restoring from a back up or restoring as a new user will fix it temporarily until you re-sync it with iTunes or trim a video

Went through all this a long time ago

Romf

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2011
Paris, France
Same here, Siri is silent (but she answers, I just have the sound when I hold the home button) and doesn't vibrate when I request Siri which is a bit of weird

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Same here. I had a 5S that didn't have Siri issues and hadn't updated to 9.0.1 before trading in for a new 6S today. I didn't try Siri on the 6S before updating to 9.0.1 when I got home and restored from a backup and updating. But now Siri is silent. I switch her to another voice and it works fine like you said. Also going to wait it out because I'm not dealing with resetting all my settings.

Voiceover (which I hate and accidentally activate all the time) also doesn't work while you have your Siri voice set to the default female. If you change your Siri voice to, say, British English, but leave your Voiceover voice alone, then Voiceover will start working with the default voice again, too. Clearly a bug.

Indeed that works, it's better then her being silent and thank you for finding that

Only way I can get Siri and Maps voice to work is to use the UK english and British setting

Indeed it works.

EDIT: UK mode goes silent as well after syncing it to iTunes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.