Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snifferpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Siri now requires the phone to be unlocked to have her read text messages.
On IOS 13 I was able to use my phone Hands Free to read and reply to text messages while driving.
I would say "Hey Siri", "Read my last text message" with the phone locked and Siri would read my last text message.
Now, under IOS 14 when I say "Hey Siri", "Read my last text message" Siri responds that I must unlock my phone first.
This totally defeats Hands Free!
This still works in IOS 13.

• Sad
Reactions: !!! and compwiz1202

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I had this problem as well. I went to settings/Siri and search and toggled allow Siri when locked off and back on. That seems to have fixed it for me.

snifferpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
What should I be looking for there. I haven’t changed anything on the phone other than update to IOS 14.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
What should I be looking for there. I haven’t changed anything on the phone other than update to IOS 14.
B4AB68A5-99CA-46F0-BD7E-6AC0933598A5.jpeg

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Turn it off and back on and reboot the iPhone. If that doesn’t work you could try resetting all the Settings.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I noticed this too. I have Powerbeats Pro and they should work with Siri announce messages but when I tried it said I need to unlock my phone.

snifferpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I’ve tried turning it off and on. No change. If I reset all the settings(how) can I get them back if the iphone is backed up. Can’t remember all my settings.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Looks like I spoke too soon. Problem is back. Not sure why it worked for a bit but now I’m seeing the same problem as you all.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Looks like I spoke too soon. Problem is back. Not sure why it worked for a bit but now I’m seeing the same problem as you all.

i just posted this in another thread.
yeah this stinks!!
I wish I knew this before I downgraded to 14!!

Diemenz

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
when wearing my airpods pro i do not even get a notification sound when i receive a text message. Email, phone etc all work. Text message there is nothing which also impacts not having siri read my messages either. I am on beta 14.2 but it did not work on 14.0.1 either.

edit: oddly enough it works perfectly on my iPad pro however. Just not on my iPhone 11 pro if that was the last device I used. I think this is defiantly a settings thing and I will mess around trying to fix it.

Further edit: I was able to fix by turning off Siri and all the Siri message features then rebooting and turning them on again including hey Siri. Only thing missing now is Siri no longer asks me if I want to reply. Just reads the message and moves on. BUT........ If i say "reply" right after Siri reads a message I can reply, just not prompted to do so anymore.

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I always turned off Siri when the phone was locked. That thing I want is a thief or prankster sending texts or calling people I know.

snifferpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Just tried turning Siri off and then back on on my Iphone SE 2nd Gen. Hands free still does not work the way it did in IOS 13. Siri says I must unlock phone first. Did not try on my Ipad Pro latest gen but will when it is available again.

I did make contact with Apple support and dealt with 2 different support people regarding this issue. Both techs agreed there was an issue and eventually said they will escalate further.

Will probably have to wait for next update to see if the issue is fixed.

snifferpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Heard from Apple support today. Unfortunately I wasn't home when they called.
I will be scheduling a session with them so they can add a logging feature to the phone to see what is going on.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I’ve reset Siri as well and it still doesn’t work for me. I have to be honest, I don’t remember it working, or not, on iOS 13 either but I do think it’s absolutely ridiculous that you have to unlock it to read messages. Even if I have my AirPods Pro in it won’t read other messages. But it will read out brand-new messages coming through. Absolutely stupid design.

jpeterson

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
Do other Siri functions work for you on the lock screen? Or does Siri not work at all until you unlock your iPhone?

jpeterson

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
Setting an alarm, creating a reminder, starting a phone call, anything like that. Was just wondering if this is a message-exclusive issue, or if you're finding other functions blocked on the lock screen as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Like what? Give me some examples and I’ll give it a go...
It sounds like it's more in the sense can you do other things with Siri when the phone is locked -- ask it for current time or weather, have it call someone, etc.
[automerge]1601570438[/automerge]
Setting an alarm, creating a reminder, starting a phone call, anything like that. Was just wondering if this is a message-exclusive issue, or if you're finding other functions blocked on the lock screen as well.
In my experience it seems like most of the previously existing functionality is still there, but reading messages might no longer be (at least so far in iOS 14).

snifferpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
C DM - you may be correct. I have used Siri for other functions when the phone is locked and they have worked.

However, I have an online appointment with Apple on Sunday to look deeper into the issue of Siri requesting the phone be unlocked first before she will read messages.
Apple seems to acknowledge that there is an issue. They will be installing a logging app on the phone to see why Siri hands free for messages does not work.

This is a safety issue while you are driving. If your phone is mounted somewhere in your vehicle and you need to hear and respond to a message, under IOS 14 you will have to take your eyes off the road and at least one hand off the steering wheel to unlock your phone. Safety Issue !!!!!!

This worked as designed under IOS 13 on every device I have. With the installation of IOS 14 hands free Siri and reading messages does not work.

Not only that, but my Ipad Pro 4th Gen is experiencing the exact same problem under IOS 14.

I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

I will wait for Apple's logging program and see what they come up with.

This is definitely a software/firmware issue.

Reactions: StumpyBloke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.