Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Got this response from Apple Support today. View attachment 966720
So Apple is saying it will only work with particular headphones and CarPlay now? And would only work just when the message comes in and gets automatically read at that point (since that seems to be how that announce feature works)?

So much for even being able to use original AirPods that are conveniently left out, or a basic Bluetooth connection in a car, which would be a fairly common use scenario for safety purposes.

UglyBetty73

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
So Apple is saying it will only work with particular headphones and CarPlay now? And would only work just when the message comes in and gets automatically read at that point (since that seems to be how that announce feature works)?

So much for even being able to use original AirPods that are conveniently left out, or a basic Bluetooth connection in a car, which would be a fairly common use scenario for safety purposes.
Yeah, that came from Apple Support on Twitter. I ride a motorcycle all day and that feature is now gone to me too. Really short sighted of them.

Reactions: lukester

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, that came from Apple Support on Twitter. I ride a motorcycle all day and that feature is now gone to me too. Really short sighted of them.
With the ability to control whether or not it's all accessible when the device is locked, it doesn't seem to make sense to limit things short of it being a bug or something that basically comes off not consumer friendly (in particular since it has been offered all along).

mil437

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Was having the same problem with Siri requesting the phone be unlocked to read messages. Spoke with high level tech at Apple who felt it was a security function and was elevating it to Engineering. After the call, I stumbled onto what I believe is the solution. With IOS 13 I would ask Siri to read my LAST text message and it worked fine. However, in IOS 14 it appears that Siri cannot access information saved on the phone without unlocking. So, first I made sure that my Message app was set for previews on Always. Then I sent myself a text and when I got the alert, I asked Siri to read my NEW message. It worked. Tried it while driving and while at home and it worked. Apparently, since the notifications are not secure information, Siri can access it while the phone is locked.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Was having the same problem with Siri requesting the phone be unlocked to read messages. Spoke with high level tech at Apple who felt it was a security function and was elevating it to Engineering. After the call, I stumbled onto what I believe is the solution. With IOS 13 I would ask Siri to read my LAST text message and it worked fine. However, in IOS 14 it appears that Siri cannot access information saved on the phone without unlocking. So, first I made sure that my Message app was set for previews on Always. Then I sent myself a text and when I got the alert, I asked Siri to read my NEW message. It worked. Tried it while driving and while at home and it worked. Apparently, since the notifications are not secure information, Siri can access it while the phone is locked.

Dayyyyyuuummm. That works. You’re a star. Thank you so much for posting this. It’s ridiculous we have to jump through hoops like this, but hey, I’ll take this over it not working at all. Thanks again.

Just to add, as @mil437 says above I had to ask it to read my NEW message rather than LAST message. It still didn’t work using the word last.

mil437

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
Dayyyyyuuummm. That works. You’re a star. Thank you so much for posting this. It’s ridiculous we have to jump through hoops like this, but hey, I’ll take this over it not working at all. Thanks again.

Just to add, as @mil437 says above I had to ask it to read my NEW message rather than LAST message. It still didn’t work using the word last.
Glad to help. I tried everything else short of a complete reset, and just got lucky.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Thanks for posting this solution. But it still does not solve the issue of when you want to make a call or send a text in the car when your phone is locked. This "feature" now makes you have to reach to unloick the phone to then send a text or start a call.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for posting this solution. But it still does not solve the issue of when you want to make a call or send a text in the car when your phone is locked. This "feature" now makes you have to reach to unloick the phone to then send a text or start a call.
Making a call or sending a message should work like before with the device locked. Accessing some data like messages with the device locked seems to be different in iOS 14, but making calls or composing and sending a message doesn't appear to be.

mil437

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
I’ve never had a problem sending messages or making calls when the phone is locked.

UglyBetty73

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
Wow, such a small change creates such a large problem. Thank you thank you for posting this solution. Works brilliantly!!

Reactions: GDMcG

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
This here seems to be the solution. However, the potential downside is that text previews will be viewable on the phone even when unlocked.
So got to Settings > Notifications > Show Previews and changed from "When Unlocked" to "Always" in addition to ensuring "Announce Messages with Siri" is "On"

mil437

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
For me, the potential downside of having my new text previews viewable on the phone when locked is not an issue. By the way, Apple tech support confirmed my solution and told me that this was a security change with the IOS 14.1 update.

Reactions: GDMcG

Jim Wilson

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
I am having the a similar issue and asking to read the last message does not work in all situations and is not really a fix. My sister sent me a really long message and while Siri was reading the average length messages fine through my AirPods pros, Siri said I would need to unlock my phone to read the longer message. Im paraphrasing somewhat. Siri actually said I received a message and said it was longer than she can read with out me asking, and if asking I would need to unlock my phone first. This is a pain while riding a bike. So much for hands free.

mil437

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
I am having the a similar issue and asking to read the last message does not work in all situations and is not really a fix. My sister sent me a really long message and while Siri was reading the average length messages fine through my AirPods pros, Siri said I would need to unlock my phone to read the longer message. Im paraphrasing somewhat. Siri actually said I received a message and said it was longer than she can read with out me asking, and if asking I would need to unlock my phone first. This is a pain while riding a bike. So much for hands free.
The key is asking for “new” messages, not “last” message. I tried it with a message that was longer than the preview box and it still worked fine for me. Not sure how long your message was, but it is possible that there is a size limit. You also might want to test it without the AirPods.

Yendog

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Sonoma, CA
I had this problem as well. I went to settings/Siri and search and toggled allow Siri when locked off and back on. That seems to have fixed it for me.
I'm going to try this as it is INFURIATING when it just stops working... it is freaking annoying as on one trip or part of trip it will work and then it just will start saying "you'll have to unlock your iPhone first" after I've already used the hey siri successfully a bunch of times throughout the day.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
I'm going to try this as it is INFURIATING when it just stops working... it is freaking annoying as on one trip or part of trip it will work and then it just will start saying "you'll have to unlock your iPhone first" after I've already used the hey siri successfully a bunch of times throughout the day.
It worked for a while and quit. @mil437 had the solution for me. Asking for new messages was the key. I was asking for recent messages and that quit working.

The key is asking for “new” messages, not “last” message. I tried it with a message that was longer than the preview box and it still worked fine for me. Not sure how long your message was, but it is possible that there is a size limit. You also might want to test it without the AirPods.

Reactions: lukester and Yendog

DenethorLenwion

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Am having the same зкидуь with reading the agenda.
This was working supposedly before I've upgraded to 14.3 RC2. Tried turning "Hey, Siri", "Siri when locked" on and off to no avail.
Does anyone else have this?

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Coming from iOS 12, I detest this new "feature"! There should be a separate setting to allow Siri control of messages. I use this all the time while bike riding or when my hands are dirty.

Aberads

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Was bugged by this & experimented today on my replacement iPhone. See the attached pictures for the settings to enable this. Only downside, if your phone is lying around, people can see previews of your incoming texts.

You need to change Settings > Messages> Notifications
[LOCK SCREEN APPEARANCE > Show Previews] to 'Always' rather than the default of 'When Unlocked'. Running the latest iOS release.

Attachments

• D59ED1DF-76D4-4075-91D3-07FBA2354607.png
    D59ED1DF-76D4-4075-91D3-07FBA2354607.png
    878.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 5B622834-1BCC-4134-A994-16C804387DE8.png
    5B622834-1BCC-4134-A994-16C804387DE8.png
    799.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

GTDaveMac

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Was bugged by this & experimented today on my replacement iPhone. See the attached pictures for the settings to enable this. Only downside, if your phone is lying around, people can see previews of your incoming texts.

You need to change Settings > Messages> Notifications
[LOCK SCREEN APPEARANCE > Show Previews] to 'Always' rather than the default of 'When Unlocked'. Running the latest iOS release.
Not sure if this is necessary. I just tested on iOS 15.1 and without changing the notification settings I asked Siri to "read my LAST text message" and it worked while the phone was locked. I do have Siri enabled when locked.

Aberads

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Not sure if this is necessary. I just tested on iOS 15.1 and without changing the notification settings I asked Siri to "read my LAST text message" and it worked while the phone was locked. I do have Siri enabled when locked.
Are you running a beta of iOS? My iPhone 13 only has iOS 15.0.2 available? In iOS 14 on my 1st gen iPhoneSE this was an annoying issue as it used to work in earlier iOS versions. With the increase in security settings in later iOS versions, getting text messages read out by Siri stopped. I changed the settings I detailed here & it worked again. I'm aware I'm on iOS 15 commenting on an iOS 14 forum though. But perhaps the security options are the same.

With the setting set to default & the iPhone locked i.e. on a FaceID enabled phone, cover the FaceID sensor, then saying "Hey Siri, read last text message" will respond with "You need to unlock your phone for that". If you're using FaceID, as soon as you look at your phone it's unlocked. If you have an Apple Watch and you've set your phone to unlock with Apple Watch it will unlock on this Siri request.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Are you running a beta of iOS? My iPhone 13 only has iOS 15.0.2 available? In iOS 14 on my 1st gen iPhoneSE this was an annoying issue as it used to work in earlier iOS versions. With the increase in security settings in later iOS versions, getting text messages read out by Siri stopped. I changed the settings I detailed here & it worked again. I'm aware I'm on iOS 15 commenting on an iOS 14 forum though. But perhaps the security options are the same.

With the setting set to default & the iPhone locked i.e. on a FaceID enabled phone, cover the FaceID sensor, then saying "Hey Siri, read last text message" will respond with "You need to unlock your phone for that". If you're using FaceID, as soon as you look at your phone it's unlocked. If you have an Apple Watch and you've set your phone to unlock with Apple Watch it will unlock on this Siri request.
Yes, I checked available updates and still only see 15.0.1 on my 13 Mini. And still cannot get messages read to me unless I either have it set to show previews, or have get the phone unlocked (which doesn't happen when it's in my pocket).

There should be an additional option to break through the security just for that. "Allow Siri to read messages when phone is locked: Yes/No"

Reactions: Aberads
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.