Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
IMG_8644.png
I’ll browse eBay from time to time to see if I can get a good deal on an older laptop and I’ll run into listings like this…

An 8 year old laptop for $800… then they always say 2023 OS so people think they’re using a new laptop… these kind of people piss me off so much. Wish I could get these scalpers removed from eBay because buyers could get that same old laptop for $300 or less.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Don't be so harsh. At least it's 'Ultimate Configured' and 'LOADED' with a 256 GB SSD 😂

edit: But in all seriousness, while the listing is obviously addressed at novices (or trying to fool them), even the battery is mentioned with "no guarantee on length of charge".

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
View attachment 2364913 I’ll browse eBay from time to time to see if I can get a good deal on an older laptop and I’ll run into listings like this…

An 8 year old laptop for $800… then they always say 2023 OS so people think they’re using a new laptop… these kind of people piss me off so much. Wish I could get these scalpers removed from eBay because buyers could get that same old laptop for $300 or less.

Why are they a "scalper"? A MacBook is not a scarce item (i.e. front row Taylor Swift concert tickets).

Is there anything factually incorrect regarding the listing or description? I'm not seeing anything that would violate eBay's listing policy.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there anything factually incorrect regarding the listing or description? I'm not seeing anything that would violate eBay's listing policy.
I'd contend that the "2023 OS" is deceptive at best but I'm sure it's carefully crafted to follow eBay's rules. The screen captures also would indicate the computer's coming with a bunch of unlicensed software too.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I'd contend that the "2023 OS" is deceptive at best but I'm sure it's carefully crafted to follow eBay's rules. The screen captures also would indicate the computer's coming with a bunch of unlicensed software too.
I assume that's macOS Ventura being shown, which was indeed the current OS software for the majority of 2023.

All kinds of people show laptops in a "working state" pre-erased, in listings. If you're really worried about the explicit representation of software that you'll likely not get if you buy this specific laptop, I'm certain this is far from the only offender.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki and JPack

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I assume that's macOS Ventura being shown, which was indeed the current OS software for the majority of 2023.
My point is that while the year 2023 may be relevant to the software on the computer, it confuses the less informed buyer who is less likely to realize that the computer itself is no newer than 2019 and perhaps older. If one searches for 2023 MacBook Pro, that listing would come up.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Why are they a "scalper"? A MacBook is not a scarce item (i.e. front row Taylor Swift concert tickets).

It’s not that they’re violating policy, they’re misleading buyers. Naïve buyers think they’re getting the top of the line 2023 MacBook Pro when they actually get a 2016. They usually load these up with pirated copies of Office and then sell these for extraordinary prices.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America

All kinds of people show laptops in a "working state" pre-erased, in listings. If you're really worried about the explicit representation of software that you'll likely not get if you buy this specific laptop, I'm certain this is far from the only offender.
That is why I said “So tired of these eBay scalpers” because they flood the top eBay results with their sponsored misleading listings. Buyers probably assume “2023 OS” means a 2023 laptop and not an operating system from 2023 running on an 8 year old laptop.

Edit: The 2016 doesn’t even natively support Ventura… do they just patch it on there too 🤣

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
That is why I said “So tired of these eBay scalpers” because they flood the top eBay results with their sponsored misleading listings. Buyers probably assume “2023 OS” means a 2023 laptop and not an operating system from 2023 running on an 8 year old laptop.

Edit: The 2016 doesn’t even natively support Ventura… do they just patch it on there too 🤣
Since I can't see the listing (only a mobile screenshot) I can't tell if it's a 2016 or 2017 (does support Ventura).

You can't be the nanny for the entire interwebs. Maybe it really is a 2017, and natively Ventura-supported? The 2023 OS is not a lie, and doesn't bother me at all. If you're going to spend $800, you'll likely do some research or get some help from friends.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
It’s not that they’re violating policy, they’re misleading buyers. Naïve buyers think they’re getting the top of the line 2023 MacBook Pro when they actually get a 2016. They usually load these up with pirated copies of Office and then sell these for extraordinary prices.
I kind of see where you’re coming from. It’s definitely trying to exploit ignorance and therefore shady.

At the same time, I do think it’s not only on the seller here. As the buyer, one needs to at least get informed and compare some prices. Especially on eBay, imo.
It’s quite easy to figure out that this is not actually a 2023 computer even for people who aren’t too familiar with MacBooks.

And I’d argue that for most people $800 is not “impulse buy” money to spend in case this really was a 2023 machine and the seller just made a mistake.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Ebay sucks. THey keep banning my account and I have no idea why. I've only ever used it to buy a few things in the last 20 yrs. Like literally I can count on one hand what I've bought from ebay. No explanation is given for it either. My original account and then subsequent account banned no reason. Just email notice saying I violated something. No details. Like WTF? I've never tried to sell anything on ebay. So it's not like I was scamming anyone. Only thing I can think of is maybe the old gmail I used to have associated with it was compromised somehow and used violating their policies. But I just gave up. And google search on this specific issue there are countless people saying the same thing.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
The first thing to do with an eBay search is to switch results to “Auction only”. Buy-it-now eBay is just a cesspool of crap like this. I’m sure the only people that these listing fool are vulnerable populations like the elderly, so it’s even morally worse.

Reactions: jdogg836 and drsox

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Don't see anything wrong.

The majority of the population don't know what the heck Ventura or Sonoma are. Apple's marketing for macOS is terrible in that sense. Can you imagine if Apple used a stupid codename for iPhone each year?

Everyone knows Windows 7, 10, and 11. They know Windows 12 doesn't exist.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
View attachment 2364913 I’ll browse eBay from time to time to see if I can get a good deal on an older laptop and I’ll run into listings like this…

Touchbar??? OMG, I'll take 100 of these! LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I agree with OP. This is terrible. Misleading for sure!

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I don't see anything wrong either. The details of the listing makes it pretty clear what you're getting. I would hope people don't buy things based solely on the title. Plus, the seller is named "The Mac Patch". Perhaps that's part of their business...selling patched Macs to run newer OSes. They've sold 8.4K items and have a 100% positive feedback rating. Looks to me that people aren't getting fooled.

1712153147479.png

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
So the title “2023 OS” is there to get people to click it’s a fair marketing strategy. Then, like people do, you scroll down for the description where it says release year 2016 and all the specs are listed.

He patched the laptop so it could run a 2023 OS and he added a premium for that service patch so what’s wrong with that ? Plus his company (TheMacPatch) is offering a 3 year warranty for a total of $800. The guy has been on eBay since 2002 and 100% feedback. If Apple can use all the hyperbole and exaggerated statements to sell an 8gb ram 512gb, $1500+ laptop in 2024 so can he.

feedback.jpg

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
But those have been around for years. I know how you feel because I used to want to upgrade my MBP mid 2010 and they sold my Mac for $800 etc…It said OS 2017. They're trying to mislead people.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Don't see anything wrong.

The majority of the population don't know what the heck Ventura or Sonoma are. Apple's marketing for macOS is terrible in that sense. Can you imagine if Apple used a stupid codename for iPhone each year?

Everyone knows Windows 7, 10, and 11. They know Windows 12 doesn't exist.
You are absolutely correct. There are many people that don't even know their Macs are out of date and that they can upgrade to a newer OS, but everyone knows that they can upgrade to Windows 11. Recently one guy I spoke to didn't know that High Sierra is out of date and I said he can upgrade to a newer OS and he asked: "How much does it cost?" and I've seen many such people.

I work in Service Desk as well and someone had issue with their Microsoft Intune and I asked if they're using Android or iOS and she said: "I don't know" and she was a young girl.

It also explains why 8GB MacBooks sell so well and why Apple produces those.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
The correct word would be "scammer" not "scalper".

I agree with the others that feel there is nothing to see here. Is the title a little misleading, sure, but the description is accurate.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
The correct word would be "scammer" not "scalper".

I agree with the others that feel there is nothing to see here. Is the title a little misleading, sure, but the description is accurate.
But even "scammer" implies the seller is taking your money for something that's not as described. There's nothing inaccurate in his description (from what I could see in a screenshot) - you're expected to get exactly what you're bidding on.

If I go to a restaurant that serves me Taco Bell-quality food at 4X the price of Taco Bell (but they still give me real food), I'd call it a 'poor value', or 'not recommended', but the restaurant is not a scammer or scalper of food.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
But even "scammer" implies the seller is taking your money for something that's not as described. There's nothing inaccurate in his description (from what I could see in a screenshot) - you're expected to get exactly what you're bidding on.

If I go to a restaurant that serves me Taco Bell-quality food at 4X the price of Taco Bell (but they still give me real food), I'd call it a 'poor value', or 'not recommended', but the restaurant is not a scammer or scalper of food.

I agree, that was the point of my second sentence. One could argue that the use of 2023 in the title is misleading. Buyer beware and the description was accurate but the title could have been "8 year old Macbook with current OS" and I think that is the OPs point.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not sure how it's deceptive. Just because a few people associate "2023 OS" with 2023 hardware doesn't mean it's deceptive.

If you buy a used computer with Windows 11 23H2, do you assume the hardware is also from H2 2023?

It's not deceptive, it's nitpicking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.