Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
I do have one comment (beyond "caveat emptor") regarding this particular scenario.

Are these folks making it VERY clear that they are somehow magically installing a version of macOS onto a machine that Apple specifically does not support? Are they letting the buyers know that Apple will likely not assist them if they run into issues, and that they will not be able to update macOS to the next version when it's released?
No, but the listing had the specs for the 2016 15” which I find extremely bizarre.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I think you funadmentally misunderstand the term 'scalper'. Sorry.

Scalping is buying up stock of brand new sought-after items which are in demand at the time, sometimes using illicit mechanisms to do it such as bots... and then immediately seeking to sell them on at a huge markup from retail price taking advantage of the fact that nobody can get them and they are willing to pay that premium.
"scalpers" often have quite a small window of opportunity as once the retailer manages to get a decent flow of stock replenishment people can obtain the item at retail price and not have to pay scalpers a premium.

Selling a years-old laptop for whatever price... is definitely NOT scalping.

Why do you resent someone selling something and getting a good price for it?

Remember the COVID hand sanitizer scam? I support free markets but taking advantage of a global emergency is poor taste.

He Has 17,700 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer and Nowhere to Sell Them

HoreaG

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2022
My point is that while the year 2023 may be relevant to the software on the computer, it confuses the less informed buyer who is less likely to realize that the computer itself is no newer than 2019 and perhaps older. If one searches for 2023 MacBook Pro, that listing would come up.

So if I sell an old PC with Windows 10 or 11 on it am I a scalper?

Come on, this rants about opportunist on eBay were en vogue 25 years ago. But I guess every day sombeody new discovers eBay, so the rants become more annoying than the offers.

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.